Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:57 PM

728 posts, read 1,677,123 times

Advertisements

I don't know where to start. My 20 year HS reunion is coming up next June and for some reason I'm obsessed with revisiting my teenage and early 20's years. I find myself constantly thinking about old HS friends and listening to 80's music etc.
I really don't know what's causing all these feelings, I have a great wife,kids,nice house,decent job, good health. I lost my mother earlier this year, and I wonder if that combined with my upcoming reunion is causing me to want to reconnect with my past.
Is this just a sign that I'm growing older and moving ever so closer to my middle aged years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 10:04 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,644 times
I go through this periodically. It can be a bit depressing. I think sometimes I miss the freedom that comes with being young, and other times I just think I miss all the friends I've lost touch with.

Lucy

Old 06-28-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content_Christian View Post
I go through this periodically. It can be a bit depressing. I think sometimes I miss the freedom that comes with being young, and other times I just think I miss all the friends I've lost touch with.

Lucy
Bingo...I think you summed it up. You have to wonder is it worth trying to reconnect with old friends just to see how they are doing. I guess that's the purpose of HS reunions. I'm not sure about going to mine, It would probably be the same cliques from 1989. Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same. I guess the only thing for me to do is to keep playing the 80's music on YouTube and hope this wave of nostalgia passes over like a bad head cold.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:33 PM

I disliked most of the people in my graduating class so much I didn't go to my 10-year reunion. I don't think we had a 15-year. Most of my friends were outside of my school anyway. Sometimes I wish I would've gone, though. I've seen some pictures of some of my classmates online, and I definitely aged better than them, lol!

I miss the music a lot, too. I listen to early 90s music all the time and the few groups that I was really into back then.

It'll pass, and if you're anything like me it'll come back in waves. I'm always having to remind myself that I can never go back so to snap out of it. Doesn't always work, though.

Lucy

Old 06-28-2008, 10:40 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,293,113 times
Ugh it's hard to believe my 25th is next year,that's a scarey thought.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content_Christian View Post
I disliked most of the people in my graduating class so much I didn't go to my 10-year reunion. I don't think we had a 15-year. Most of my friends were outside of my school anyway. Sometimes I wish I would've gone, though. I've seen some pictures of some of my classmates online, and I definitely aged better than them, lol!

I miss the music a lot, too. I listen to early 90s music all the time and the few groups that I was really into back then.

It'll pass, and if you're anything like me it'll come back in waves. I'm always having to remind myself that I can never go back so to snap out of it. Doesn't always work, though.

Lucy
I'm with you on the ten year reunion thing. I was still in my 20's and had not time or use for the HS cliques. Now that I've "grown up" and have a family and so forth, I have this nagging curiosity about how my classmates turned out. I think the one thing that occasionally bring me out of this funk is to think that in twenty years I will look back with even more nostalgia about how great it was to be 36. Nahh...I'll probably be still listening to Tears for Fears and INXS

Old 06-28-2008, 10:56 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,939,095 times
I've never been to a reunion. Came close at #10. Tickets were purchased, but I got divorced and depressed at the same time. Moved away a few years later and have never looked back. Yeah, I still haul out the yearbook every once in a while. That's how I want to remember my classmates now. This may change, but it's been (cough) 37 yrs.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:58 PM

Probably. My mom always listened to the music she grew up on. Then she went through a midlife crisis and started watching BET and buying wrap CD's, lol! She's the whitest white person I know.

You know, sometimes I feel even MORE nostalgic and start listening to the music my mom always listened to growing up. Those are just happy memories, though. It's my teenage years I'm always wanting to revisit.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
I'm with you on the ten year reunion thing. I was still in my 20's and had not time or use for the HS cliques. Now that I've "grown up" and have a family and so forth, I have this nagging curiosity about how my classmates turned out.
Ha, my 10 year is next year and I have no curiosity about my classmates. I'm still in touch with the ones i actually LIKED, and probably the rest of them are languishing in our dopey little town with 2 kids or more. Yeah, I don't want to see any of them.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:38 AM

27,353 posts, read 27,405,100 times
Of all the reunions we've had, Ive gone to one but definately am going to the next one, its so great to see everyone again. Some have actually done something in their life, others have not, a few have died, but all n all its great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics