Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:33 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,922 times

Advertisements

Mrs Dude and I were having breakfast at a local restaurant. An attractive young lady walked past our table, dressed in a bright yellow summer dress. My wife commented that she looked feminine. Another equally attractive woman walked past our table. She was wearing very, emphasis on very, nice fitting jeans and a snug fitting top. I thought to myself (it was too early to start that discussion), now that looks feminine.

It started me wondering. Has feminine changed? If you accept the definition of feminine as, qualities normally associated with a woman, my opinion was the most correct. A man with a wig could have been hiding anything under that dress. It was very obvious the woman in the jeans was a woman. How about you. What is feminine? A long flowing evening gown, a low cut cocktail dress, a thong bikini, long hair, short hair, no hair, 5'6" or 6'5"? Let's hear your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 11:07 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,898 times
It's probably a whole new ballgame these days and obviously open to interpretation but I think your wife is correct.

Feminine dressing as prescribed by the fashionista and Miss Manners types generally includes things like sunfrocks, modesty, pretty type clothing. The types of fabrics and styles of clothing that men wouldn't wear. Usually a dress or a skirt. I don't think I've ever heard a woman wearing pants, ANY kind of pants, described as being "feminine" in terms of her style. As far as I can tell from most of the images that come with a description including the word feminine pants just don't cut it. Think 1950s dressing or 1800's.

Your choice whilst definitely female and womanly and sexy wouldn't qualify as "feminine" as I understand the term to apply.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:00 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,412 times
To me it depends entirely on the person. For instance, short hair on one woman can look very delicate and feminine but it can make another woman look like a guy. It all depends on their physical features and personal qualities in my opinion. Some women are better at carrying some things off that others and other women are better off at carrying off other things so I don't think you really can strictly define 'feminine'. Just my opinion anyway.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:29 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
To me it depends entirely on the person. For instance, short hair on one woman can look very delicate and feminine but it can make another woman look like a guy. It all depends on their physical features and personal qualities in my opinion. Some women are better at carrying some things off that others and other women are better off at carrying off other things so I don't think you really can strictly define 'feminine'. Just my opinion anyway.
I have short hair and very curvy (athletic-curvy physique). I'm very feminine. I wear high heels quite a bit (even to the grocery store or Wal-Mart!). I wear skirts, shorts, halter tops, bikinis, and tankinis all summer. I even wear makeup everywhere I go (even to the grocery store). I like my feminine well-being.

And yes, short hair can be very feminine, if it's cut right (not cut above the ears, that is).

Old 07-20-2008, 08:07 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
I have short hair and very curvy (athletic-curvy physique). I'm very feminine. I wear high heels quite a bit (even to the grocery store or Wal-Mart!). I wear skirts, shorts, halter tops, bikinis, and tankinis all summer. I even wear makeup everywhere I go (even to the grocery store). I like my feminine well-being.

And yes, short hair can be very feminine, if it's cut right (not cut above the ears, that is).
I quit wearing skirts long time ago... they don't look good on me..

Old 07-20-2008, 08:27 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
I'm old school when it comes to a woman's feminine side, and I think men should be men, and women should be women. Sometimes when I see a gal that looks almost like a man, or a man that looks like a woman, it makes me wonder. I remember long time ago, I was in a bar with a couple of friends, and this gal, who was in there with a guy, and we thought she had a bit too much to drink, because she was doing things a woman would not normally do in public.

Clothes and everything else ladies put on, do in part show the feminine side of the woman, just as long as it's not overdone. A woman with tons of make-up, and very flashy clothes on her is not feminine, I don't know what you call that, but leave it to the folks in Hollywood. A woman being a woman is what I consider feminine and it's certainly something to appreciate.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Not just the clothes, hair, etc.

A woman can be dressed to the nines, have beautiful features, etc, but if she snorts when she laughs, well...

Old 07-20-2008, 02:36 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,698 times
Femininity is an art that conveys the message that a lady is present. It encompasses fashion, posture, body language, and speech. IMO, a feminine woman will never have to emphasize she's a woman; her whole being will ooze the information and others will generally treat her accordingly. Quiet confidence and modest dress will take a feminine woman to far happier places than brazenness and clothing that flaunts a woman's "attributes." A feminine woman is seen for herself rather than her physical features or clothing. She doesn't hide behind clothing that either flaunts what she has to offer or hides her femininity. Either type of clothing is generally hiding the fact that the woman is lacking something, whether that be intelligence, gentleness, empathy, confidence, love, joy, peace, patience, etc. Personal behavior will complete the illusion. True femininity let's the lady and all her attributes shine brightly, not just the more obvious ones.

Studedude, I'd hazard a guess that you saw the body but never noticed the woman. Your wife, on the other hand, probably noticed more of the woman behind the dress. Femininity encompasses far more than a great body, a pretty face, or the clothes one wears. Clothing choice, however, will generally be a big clue as to what sort of woman dwells within.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,414 times
I remember one Easter when I was about 12 or so. Me, mom, dad & my brother went to visit my grandmother. As we approached her block, we were coming upon a very curvy blond in tight jeans walking down the sidewalk. My dad & brother of course started acting like Lenny & Squiggy...until we passed by and they could see what a butt ugly dude they just drooled all over. Moral of the story...I don't know but it sure was funny! Studedude, you are sure that was a gal, right?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:41 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,068,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I Moral of the story...I don't know but it sure was funny!

Don't judge a book by it's cover.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics