Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:33 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,774,990 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd start a new thread!
I don't have any antigues past down from generation to generation, my Mom came to this country (N.Y.C.) from Newfoundland, Canada at the age of 16, with only a suitcase, so nothing to pass down...
My Dad comes from a large family, one Aunt was in charge of dispersing the items amongst 6 siblings and 52 grandchildren...well my Mom, who was the 'in-law' and never really speaks up, put in a request for me!

So, these are my 3 favorites:

1. I have a large picture of Jesus (the one with just his face from the side) with a gold frame that hung in my fahter's parent's living room. Always remember looking at it as a child.

2. A beautiful hand-made quilt, made by my husbands very talented grandmother, given to my mother-in-law, who never did like it. She gave it to me, knowing how much I loved it. It is gorgeous, millions of hours of work. I use it everyday, it is on my bed, and will be forever. Since they were poor folks from Georgia, they made quilts from old clothing, but the squares are so small, you would never know.

3. I have a statue of the Blessed Mother on a donkey with the infant Jesus in her arms and another statue of Joseph walking next to her. I remember picking them out in a Halllmark card store when I was about 7 or 8, first getting the Blessed mother, then Joseph some time later. I still remember my Mom letting me pack them carefully in a shoe box to take them for show and tell in the second grade. I didn't have much as a kid, so to own these, I felt very lucky.

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 05:35 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,682,699 times
My kids baby books with photos and cards and locks of hair
My wedding book with photos of my late grandparents and me
My grandmothers wedding ring which was her mothers

Old 03-27-2007, 06:16 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,414,703 times
my music gear
my guns(wont show those sorry)
my Honda Element
my photos and home movies from a couple past girlfriends ;cough;

and.........I want share this with you.This is pictures my great grandfather made,this one dated 1919.It is all wood,carved and fitted like a puzzle...np paint.It is a lost art practicaly.I have a few of these but this is the biggest.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:16 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,398,573 times
I really only have 2, my pictures, and some things on my cell.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:29 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,100,105 times
Love the wood carving, lionking!

- My pictures, old (especially old family photos) and recent ones of family and the beautiful USA
- 2 Bibles -- one belonged to my Dad; another was my maternal grandparents'
- A diamond heart necklace -- my first Christmas gift from the man who was to be my husband

Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,714,403 times
Hmm...

1) Definetly my laptop. This is my #1 most precious material item. It holds all my pictures, addresses, numbers, personal information, important documents, client information, etc etc (it's also backed up on an external harddrive and various cd's). I couldn't function without it. My LIFE is on this baby.

2) A Rolex that my father gave me. It's a beautiful blue-faced Submariner. I love this watch.

3) Probably my new Yukon Denali! I can't wait until tomorrow to pick it up, all the papers are signed and it's officially mine!

Old 03-28-2007, 09:32 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,423,617 times
Before my mam passed away last may she made me a Cross Stich Irish stype Failte (Means welcome) to hang in my front porch. The last picture i have of the whole family wither her alive in it are precious to me too. She also made ALOT of knitwear for my sons when they were young and thats the only childrens clothes ive not given to charity. Ill give it to my sister when she has her firstborn.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:42 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,417,745 times
My three most precious things are my Bible, wedding ring (it has diamonds from my mothers wedding ring) and my cat Maggie.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 PM

942 posts, read 2,585,557 times
Default Three possesions...hmm???

One of the things I hold dearest is my treasure chest filled with over a hundred years of family pictures, including my children picture as they were growing. These are irresplaceable and I dont know what I would do if it ever went missing.

Set of eight silver mini tea spoons from 1826, that have been handed down generation to generation. I have three sons and a step son and I guess who ever has the wofe that treasures family antiques wil get it.

My grandma had this pocelain horse about 2.5 feet tall, it still looks new. Well my godfather gave it to her for her first apartment in this country over 50 years ago. I always loved it. When she past (my godfather past in 1981) my mom and aunts decided I get it, it is now in my moms house (she really loved it too and has told me if I want it to take). Well I decided to have my mom keep it and than I will get it when its my turn. Im not in a hurry.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:01 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,618,914 times
1. Sunt-tzu

2. Jackie

3. Wack

my dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics