Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you do?
My family and I will keep the motor home but you pay for ½ of the costs 1 7.14%
My family and I will rent a car and head out on our own, but you pay for ½ the costs 2 14.29%
I agreed to pay for the motor home but I’m not using it, so I’m not paying. 1 7.14%
Other,,,, AksarbeN hasn’t a clue of the best idea, he needs more coffee. 3 21.43%
I’m taking the car but you have to pay for the hotel rooms my family will stay in. 0 0%
Post a story on C-D about how bad the other family was. 3 21.43%
Have the other family arrested for failure on the verbal contract deal. 0 0%
We all leave the National Park together and cut the vacation short 5 35.71%
Your family caused the problem you can pay for the bills 0 0%
I’ll pay only for the bills that my family have caused 3 21.43%
Send the wives and kids back home while the two men go fishing together 2 14.29%
Play “short straw” to see who will get the motor home but have to pay for it 1 7.14%
Hold a family court and let the park ranger be the judge of what to do. 1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:58 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,468 times

Advertisements

I think it is fine to plan vacations with other families, but the key is to have your OWN VEHICLES! Then you still have the option of doing your own thing. We have taken huge group camping trips, but everyone knows they can do what they want. We have a blast!

A few years ago my MIL came up with the wonerful idea of the whole family going together in a motor home to visit other family 14 hours away. It was hilarious because she was like "Oh, this will be so much fun", and I'm like "20 people (10 of them kids under 12) in a motor home for 28 hours - NO THANK YOU!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:06 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
DH and I have vacationed with others, but that was good friends, for extended weekends, in 2-3 bedroom time shares (this particular friend has a timeshare and we always have plenty of space). Anyway I am a planner and the others arent (including DH) so I know when I go to not have high expectations planning wise, but we've always had a lot of fun.

As for planning a trip in a motor home for two weeks I would NEVER do that with anyone, excpet MAYBE my own DH and kids and even then it might be iffy, lol!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Being attached at the hip with another party isn't the best idea. People naturally need space and time to themselves on long vacations.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
I think it would be fair for the family that is keeping the camper to pay 75% of its cost- half of the amount of the first week (when it was shared with the other family) and the full cost of the week that the family had the RV solely- taking into consideration that the departing family will likely have costs associated with renting a car (or another RV!) and lodging expenses for the second week.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:47 PM

36,421 posts, read 16,032,420 times
The only solution is to "GO HOME", cut your losses. Wear earplugs for the drive home. Don't talk to the other family for several weeks. The kids will probably make up before you get home. Have a BBQ weeks later, drink and laugh about the whole stupid thing. Then argue about whose idea it was in the first place.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 2,719 times
I would divide the cost of the trip up to the dispute time then draw straws, flip a coin or flip one of the kids, and the 'winner' takes the camper and assumes the rest of the camper's bills from that point on. The 'looser' pays for their own rooms and rental car, etc....for however they might choose to end their part of the vacation. BUT you might need to see whose name is listed as the liable one....and in that case, the liable one should probably keep the camper to use, but infairness the other assumes their part up to the dispute time. WHEW! Best of luck to both

Old 03-16-2009, 07:24 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,705 times
I really don't have an answer, the only families I hang with besides my own are my co-workers and we all get along great... I was the life of the party last year..... Heh.... Memories...

Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Only went on an extended trip with one son and his wife and our younger son to Florida from Missouri in our RV. Rented a 2 BR condo. Youngest slept on the sofa/bed. Everyone got along just great. Would do it again. Would probably not take an extended vacation with other in-laws or even close friends. You just never know what will set some people off.

If ever in this situation, I would op to let the other party take the motorhome and we would rent a car and continue on our own. I would pay for our share up until the disagreement time. Wonder if 'we' would be friends when everyone got back home.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:05 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I'd vote for "none of the above". Anybody with common sense knows the best way to end a friendship with another family is to take a vacation in a motor home together. If you're taking a trip together, it's worth the extra money to drive seperate cars and get your own room. Plan what you and your family want to do and the others plan what they want to do. Then plan something to do together.
I haven't read everybody's answers but somebody probably already said that. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics