Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:48 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,108 posts, read 30,425,189 times

Advertisements

Urban wildlife!

Today I walked past the kitchen window and opened the curtains to look outside when I saw an animal standing several yards away near the back fence. At first I thought it was a cat, but it was standing so still, almost majestically. The cats I see outside are walking around, sniffing, chasing bugs, etc.

Also, from the distance, I wasn't sure, but it looked like it had a really pointed nose. Plus, the window had a screen on it, which distorts the clarity of your view.

I thought, what is that? A fox? A weasel? Some other critter? I got my camera and zoomed in with the lens. And was happy to see that it was in fact a fox!

I am really surprised. There is a creek that runs along the back of the property, but we are IN a city, not a suburb.

The fox was sunning itself. It would lie down, ever alert, raising its head when a dog barked a few yards down. When it felt secure it would roll over on it side, almost on its back. I could see its tongue when it licked its nose and lips. From time to time it yawned. It was a beautiful and rare sight for me.

Every so often it would wonder down to the creek, if it felt threatened. But later it would come back and lie down again. Throughout the day this went on. It seemed to be at home, in its element, so I suppose it lives here. Good for him or her. I don't own a chicken coop so I wish it well.

If I knew how to post a photo here, I would. Of a fox, enjoying the sun, on a lazy Sunday afternoon, in the middle of an American city.

What makes you happy?

This day or any day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,853,519 times
Cool! Karma in your favor!

You could load your photo on imageshack dot us or any number of free photo hosting sites...then copy/paste the link into the text box...or use the "insert image" feature and copy/paste the image url into that thing.
Would be nice to see it!

Old 03-30-2009, 05:50 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,547,135 times
You described it so well!!!

My happy thing is long weekends spent exploring!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:33 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,340,792 times
My happy is that it's Monday and I've got a job. Even better, it's a job that I love, working for an employer that I truly like and respect. In these days, I know that puts me among the very fortunate few, and I appreciate it every day.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,148,694 times
I love the phrase Urban Wildlife! So cool!

Saw a hawk circling over the soccer field Saturday. Love to see the wildlife too!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,544,179 times
I survived yet another night on Ohio's highways!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,523,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I survived yet another night on Ohio's highways!!!
I just talked to my ABF trucker son in Springfield who also survived another night on the great Ohio highways....

Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,319,937 times
Today made me very happy. It is/was monday here and we had parent/teacher interviews at the school this evening. Every teacher told me what a well mannered, intelligent and motivated student my daughter is. I was told she is not only more advanced than her own year she is also ahead of the year up from her as well. I was told she is the best mannered child in the school and that she is a teachers dream. Her English teacher said she is so advanced that she is often sent to do extra work on the internet and then she teaches other kids who are struggling. I was told that it is obvious she comes from a loving home where education is important and the best news of all is that she is going to be put in a program for gifted students that will connect her with other gifted students in the region via the internet.

I was so proud of her, she is doing so well and it makes all those years of struggling and sacrificing with just the two of us worth it. Everything is starting to come together and pay off and I couldn't be happier.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 AM

27,360 posts, read 27,411,236 times
Todays happy thing....its too early still, so I'll have to come back when something happens. .

Old 03-30-2009, 08:13 AM

27,360 posts, read 27,411,236 times
I just remembered, after looking in the mirror this morning. I dyed my hair last night, and love it! The colour-of-the-month right now is brown-black, but it looks black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics