Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 PM

11,864 posts, read 11,075,546 times

Advertisements

Good morning Hope everyone is getting ready to bring on the new year
I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a year gone more than 2011

So all I can say is "Come on, 2012!”

Now lets get this show on the road with . . .

Today's Questions:

What are some things that made 2011 a “good” year for you?

Is there anything about 2011 that makes you extremely happy to know that in a VERY short time you’ll be seeing it in your rearview mirror?

Bonus Questions:

Do you have a favorite beverage that you like to drink as you ring in the New Year? <if so, what is it?>

Have you ever been in New York City to watch the ball drop in Times Square? <if so, tell us a bit about your experience>

Where was the best place you ever spent New Year's Eve <and why>?

Just for Fun

If you were given free tickets for yourself and loved ones to go anywhere in the world to ring in the New Year, where would you go <and why>?

Today in History:

1907 - 1st time a ball drops at Times Square to signal new year
1923 - 1st transatlantic radio broadcast of a voice, Pittsburgh-Manchester
1924 – Hubble announces existence of distant galaxies
1938 - Dr. R N Harger's "drunkometer," 1st breath test, introduced in Indiana
1946 – President Truman officially proclaims end of WWII
1985 – JJ is in labor and spends New Year’s Eve at the hospital lol
1999 - Control of Panama Canal reverts to Panama
2010 - Italy's plan to ban plastic bags goes into effect; the country was using 20 billion plastic bags a year - about 300 per person

Quote of the Day:

Every day is a new beginning. Treat it that way. Stay away from what might have been and look at what can be.

Marsha Petrie Sue

This week is:

"It's About Time!" Week

Today is:

Make a Wish Upon a Star Day
New Year’s Eve
Out with the Old and In with the New!

I hope all of you have a wonderful New Year’s Eve and that the New Year brings you happiness and many, many blessings

See you next year!!! <I’ve been dying to say that >

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 11:51 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,032,427 times
Snagged the final pole position of 2011

I finally made it into Phoenix. I get 2 wonderful days off to do as I please. Then I have to load a plane and head out.

Today's Questions:

Probably the best thing that happened in 2011 was I got completely out of debt.

Is there anything about 2011 that makes you extremely happy to know that in a VERY short time you’ll be seeing it in your rearview mirror?
I have two courses I must complete before I call it a day. I have been putting them off for the last 6 months. Will take me a couple hours to finish.

Bonus Questions:

Do you have a favorite beverage that you like to drink as you ring in the New Year? <if so, what is it?>
I have been known to sip a little bubbly as the New Year makes it's appearance

Have you ever been in New York City to watch the ball drop in Times Square? <if so, tell us a bit about your experience>
Have not. Somehow I just do not see me standing in the cold for hours just to watch a ball drop

That would have been New Years Eve 1999 spent at North Pole Alaska. That was the last New Years the entire family was together for.

Just for Fun

If you were given free tickets for yourself and loved ones to go anywhere in the world to ring in the New Year, where would you go <and why>?
McMurdo Station, Antarctica. If someone else is paying I might as well go somewhere I have never been.

Today in History:

2010 - Italy's plan to ban plastic bags goes into effect; the country was using 20 billion plastic bags a year - about 300 per person

Quote of the Day:

Every day is a new beginning. Treat it that way. Stay away from what might have been and look at what can be.

Marsha Petrie Sue

This week is:

"It's About Time!" Week

Today is:

New Year’s Eve

I hope all of you have a wonderful New Year’s Eve and that the New Year brings you happiness and many, many blessings

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 12-31-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,104,834 times
Had pole nailed and had to wait 39 seconds from a post in NES!

Today’s Question: New Year’s Eve, Saturday, 31 December 2011

Today's Questions:

Bonus Questions:

Beer!

Not thanks..

Just for Fun

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:

Marsha Petrie Sue
I know Laura..

This week is:

"It's About Time!" Week

Today is:

New Year’s Eve

Same to you! Thanks JJOY! Happy New Year to everyone!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:11 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,081,095 times
Today's Questions:

What are some things that made 2011 a “good” year for you? I graduated from Bible College, visited NYC for the first time, obtained individual health insurance after going a year without ...

A new year means more job opportunities may arise and it just brings me closer to the day that I meet the man of my dreams.

Bonus Questions:

Not really

No

1999-2000 & 2000-2001 were the best NYE's as the church I was attending had an awesome program. My favorite moment from the Y2K evening was after the countdown when all the balloons and strobelights appeared. That was a cool moment. During the 2000-2001 evening, I remembered me and a friend were dancing to one of the fast praise songs the teen band sung at the program ... It was a fun moment for us and we were laughing about it for days afterwards.

Just for Fun

Maybe NYC? I dunno ...

Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 AM

44,723 posts, read 61,963,599 times
Today's Questions:

What are some things that made 2011 a “good” year for you? Nothing. We lost too many friends and relatives.

Is there anything about 2011 that makes you extremely happy to know that in a VERY short time you’ll be seeing it in your rearview mirror? Yes, that it's finally over.

Bonus Questions:

Do you have a favorite beverage that you like to drink as you ring in the New Year? <if so, what is it?> No beverage, will probably be in bed asleep.

Have you ever been in New York City to watch the ball drop in Times Square? <if so, tell us a bit about your experience> No way.

Where was the best place you ever spent New Year's Eve <and why>? No where particular that I recall.

Just for Fun

If you were given free tickets for yourself and loved ones to go anywhere in the world to ring in the New Year, where would you go <and why>? Sydney Australia. You'd have to experience it to see why. Probably the best show and celebration on earth that night.

(Hey Joy, in the dancing photo, that looks like it's that nutty Latka from the TV show Taxi)

"Happy New Year" everyone, enjoy...

Old 12-31-2011, 01:22 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,502,581 times
Today's Questions:

2011 was something of a blah year for me... certainly not the worst, but not the best either.

Not really but I'm hoping 2012 will be heaps better!

Bonus Questions:

Champagne - the good stuff, not the cheap stuff!

No, although I have watched it via web cam.http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...?cam=lennon_hd

I have spent most New Year's Eves down on Sydney Harbour, enjoying the world's best fireworks display. As nitram said (above), you have to experience it to see why it's the top spot to be.

Just for Fun

Ooh, that's a tricky one. I guess, if the tickets are free, I'd go to somewhere really expensive to fly to! Rio de Janeiro perhaps.

Thanks for the QOTD Joy - Happy New Year to you and to all the QOTD family!

Last edited by Kobber; 12-31-2011 at 01:35 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 02:30 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,928,758 times

Today's Questions:

What are some things that made 2011 a “good” year for you? My son was released by his doctors to return to work.

Is there anything about 2011 that makes you extremely happy to know that in a VERY short time you’ll be seeing it in your rearview mirror? No, those things will just follow me into 2012

Bonus Questions:

Do you have a favorite beverage that you like to drink as you ring in the New Year? <if so, what is it?> Iced Tea is fine.

Have you ever been in New York City to watch the ball drop in Times Square? <if so, tell us a bit about your experience>Never and never will. I'm not a crowds kind of person.

Where was the best place you ever spent New Year's Eve <and why>? At home in peace and quiet. I don't mind being a bit square.

Just for Fun

If you were given free tickets for yourself and loved ones to go anywhere in the world to ring in the New Year, where would you go <and why>? A secluded beach house on the Gulf of Mexico with no near neighboring houses. No fireworks or loud booze party music.

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:

Marsha Petrie Sue

This week is:

"It's About Time!" Week Yes it is.................

Today is:

New Year’s Eve

I hope all of you have a wonderful New Year’s Eve and that the New Year brings you happiness and many, many blessings And I second that. Can we vote now?

Just think, another 366 days to find a creative way to be bad.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 12-31-2011 at 02:45 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 03:44 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,355,394 times
Hello!

Today's Questions:

What are some things that made 2011 a “good” year for you? My little girl!

Bonus Questions:

Do you have a favorite beverage that you like to drink as you ring in the New Year? I usually celebrate the new year with water, so...

Have you ever been in New York City to watch the ball drop in Times Square? No

Just for Fun

If you were given free tickets for yourself and loved ones to go anywhere in the world to ring in the New Year, where would you go <and why>? I haven't a clue! But it would be fun to own a fast plane and celebrate it several times throughout the world!

Today is:

New Year’s Eve

Have a great day!
I'll see you next year!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:21 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,750,531 times
[quote=JustJoy;22336194]Good morning Hope everyone is getting ready to bring on the new year

Today's Questions:

What are some things that made 2011 a “good” year for you? Hmm..

Bonus Questions:

Do you have a favorite beverage that you like to drink as you ring in the New Year? <if so, what is it?>Not really

Have you ever been in New York City to watch the ball drop in Times Square? <if so, tell us a bit about your experience>No, don't like BIG crowds and standing there for hours to watch the ball drop is just not my idea of a good time.

Where was the best place you ever spent New Year's Eve <and why>?I had some good times back in the 70's dancing the night away which brings back some good memories.

Just for Fun

If you were given free tickets for yourself and loved ones to go anywhere in the world to ring in the New Year, where would you go <and why>? I don't know, it's hard to choose ...maybe go to Colorado or if you could get me to fly.. Rome Italy or stand at the Pyramids in Egypt.

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:

Marsha Petrie Sue

This week is:

"It's About Time!" Week

Today is:

New Year’s Eve

I hope all of you have a wonderful New Year’s Eve and that the New Year brings you happiness and many, many blessingsSame to you,JJ!

Happy New Year everyone!

Old 12-31-2011, 05:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,185,668 times
Happy New Year, everyone. No time for QOTD today but I couldn't let the last day of the year pass by without popping in and saying hello. Here's to another 365 days of shooting the breeze with my QOTD friends.

And now.... see you all next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics