Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wear your selt belt?
Yes 91 94.79%
No 5 5.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:49 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

News, N.J. Governor Critical After SUV Crash.

CAMDEN, N.J. Apr 13, 2007 (AP)— Gov. Jon S. Corzine was apparently not wearing his seat belt as required by law when his official SUV crashed into a guard rail, leaving the governor hospitalized in critical condition, a spokesman said Friday.

A state trooper was driving Corzine to a meeting between Don Imus and the Rutgers women's basketball team Thursday night when another vehicle, swerving to avoid a pickup truck, hit the governor's SUV and sent it into the guard rail on the Garden State Parkway.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3036353
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,886 times
If we don't here in California it's $90.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:22 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,227,523 times
I'd wear it, fine or no fine, and have done so for many years, way before it became a law in Texas.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:30 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,748 times
I wear my seatbelt and I believe that it saves lives. However, I don't think it should be a law like it is in some states. The reason I believe this is because I feel that it is a personal decision if you want to protect yourself from harm. For children, yes I think the law is crucial. It insures that they have the extra protection. In my opinion, the seatbelt law is silly Moderator cut: per author's request ( ...) because there aren't laws that force people to stop other harmful behaviors. For example: There arent't laws that fine people for over eating or eating fatty foods, not wearing sunscreen, not wearing a condom, smoking outside of public places, remaining sedentary instead of being active, and in general living a risky lifestyle. All of these risks can kill you. As long as you aren't endangering anyone other than yourself, why is there a law forcing you to wear a seatbelt? I always wear one, and my kids are always buckled up. I have just always felt that if an adult wants to be safe they should buckle up. If we're going to continue to have this law to force people to be safe then we need laws for all of the other things I mentioned. Who knows, maybe its coming. Big Brother? A little past 1984, but predictions can be off a little.

Last edited by Marka; 04-16-2007 at 12:48 AM..

Old 04-13-2007, 11:45 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
At home...sometimes. At work...always. I've been in some nasty rollovers...always without a belt on. The driver in one wreck got hurt much worse than me and he was wearing his. I was hit head on by a drunk driver once. I was a passenger with my back to the dash (handing something to my son in the back seat) when we hit. My head bounced off the windsheild...but the driver in the other car was hurt way worse than me.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:30 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
I always wear my seatbelt, but not because it's the law here in California. I've gotten used to the feeling of the belt, and it feels unnatural not to wear it now. (Yeah, I'm weird!)

I can understand the point made about such laws, but at the same time, maybe someone who would openly defy logic and not wear a seatbelt (or buckle his/her kids in) might be deterred by the fine they'd have to pay.

When this first became the law in California, people ran a real risk of getting shot, because they would hurriedly try to buckle up when they were pulled over - and to a cop, it looked like they were reaching for a weapon!

Old 04-14-2007, 03:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
I always wear mine; everyone in our family does.
Last fall, a young man at my son's high school was killed when his truck ran off the road into a utility pole. It was a one-car accident. Alcohol was not a factor. He was not wearing a seatbelt. It breaks my heart just typing this;I feel so sorry for his parents.
He was such a good, smart kid.
But for whatever reason, he did not buckle up.
I realize that life is not without risk, but I don't see the point in not using a seatbelt.
As for seatbelt laws, helmet laws, I dunno. Saving people from themselves seems to be a losing proposition, but is that reason to give up? Not sure.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:32 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,130,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I've gotten used to the feeling of the belt, and it feels unnatural not to wear it now. (Yeah, I'm weird!)
Sandy then I guess I am "weird" also

I never wore one untill I met my hubby. He said please wear your seatbelt I would like to have you around for a long time. (see why I married him )
Now when I forget to buckle up I feel weird like im not secured.

Rance "your head bounced off the windshield" ok that explains everything
You know we love you and i'm just teasing you

Karla

Old 04-14-2007, 05:27 AM

606 posts, read 699,608 times
Why not?
I don't want to die yet

Old 04-14-2007, 06:15 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,781,279 times
When they first made it a law, I was so uncomfortable wearing one. Now, I feel so unsafe w/o it. I know a couple people that went through their windshield during an accident, one was a friend that died and the other was my brother. My brother survived but had to have plastic surgery on his face. Neither of them were wearing a seat belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics