Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:49 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,683,930 times

Advertisements

Please!! Just buy a friggin house where it makes you happy.Stop worrying about resale in 2 years. Why is this considered the normal way to buy a home now?? I don't get it!! It never use to be this way. Doesn't anybody want their children to have a child hood home to come home to for xmas anymore???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 08:17 PM

812 posts, read 4,085,948 times
If you've got a good job and they tell you it's time to move, then a lot of people will. In this day, transfers are a lot more common than the old days... It's a pretty big tradeoff to throw your job away because you don't want to move... some people think it's worth it, but more don't.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:36 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
Where you live to work isn't necessarily where you want to retire. Or even WANT to live. And most of us have to go if work forces us to relocate.

And none of us want to lose money on a home. That's just the way it is today.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:10 PM

whoever gave me a red mark for my post I think you misunderstood me. How was it rude?

Old 05-22-2007, 03:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
Maybe the use of the "f" word, even though it was not the real "f" word.
I was not offended. I know what you mean, I think that since we have all been through the recent "house flipping" madness people think this is the norm.

They have to revisit what the real estate market was before the "hyper" years before that.

I always used the rule of thumb, you have to stay in a home in most markets (non-coastal) for at least 5 years to pull a profit. Not true of the "hyper" years, but now we are in the correction years... it is true again.

And yes, that is what we bought our home for, as our residence which we want to enjoy, we bought it, aren't moving unless something drastic forces us to. And cash out when we retire - after 25 years or so of ownership.

No "flipping" for us.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:53 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,900,896 times
LOL!!! A neg for that, if that was what it was for. Get some thicker skin then (not you shannon).

Anyway, shannon I do agree w/ you on this issue. Granted as a married adult my husband and I have owned 3 homes now in a 15 year time period but they were all in the same area and were move-up's as our first home was the one we moved into upon our wedding day. Unlike most newlyweds we did not rent an apartment when we first got married but instead decided to save as much $$$ as possible and have a nice wedding but not over the top and put the money into building a brand new home. It was a starter home but we were far better off by doing so instead of throwing money away renting. I don't believe we would be where we are today if we would have rented for the first year or two of marriage.

As for the job relocation thing. I've seen my dad lose his job when I was growing up. There were a couple of times that the only job available was out of town or state. During those times my dad took the job but we did not move. He hung on for the few months it took him to get transferred back. I know one time my mother was ready to sell the house and move us into an apartment when he was w/o a job. I being a young teen sat her down and went over the numbers. They would have lost just about EVERYTHING had they done that as rent on a 2 bedroom apt would have been more than the mortgage payment on the 3 bed/2200 sq ft home that they now own outright. The equity at that time was not enough to sustain the family for a years time as rent would have gobbled it up. They toughed it out, we tightened our belts and made it through. Granted not all people can do this and also have the option of working a few months in another local in order to get transferred back to their home. There is something to be said for hanging tough and fighting thru the worst. I know my husbands family did a few relocations and in the end it was not for the better. One time they just about lost everything and the location they had moved to was not where any family was and there were no jobs to be had. They packed up and came back "home" and found jobs to get them back on their feet. To this day if you asked my husband if he would move if he had been his dad and got that "great offer" his answer would be a flat out "NO" cause he knows the grass ain't always greener on the other side.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:41 PM

To gardener and Mom....thanks!! That's all I meant by my post. lol When I posted that i was in a "mood". Got tired of reading the typical..."don't move there...it's not upscale or brand new!"" or "that area doesn't appreciate fast enough...don't live there!" It just cracks me up because from what I remember ...even in places like San Diego California (where I'm from) abundant home appreciation wasn't something you really attained until after many years. As you said gardner...i think some people think this "flipping" business is the norm...especially young couples starting out.

My husband transfered with his job to come out here to Texas.....but it was for the simple reason we want to retire early and do things we want to do not what we HAVE to do. If we would have bought a home in California (in an area that we wanted to live in)....we'd be working till we were 80!!

By the way...does anybody watch Flip That House? Notice at the end of the show now...they don't sell the property!!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 AM

80 posts, read 461,914 times
shannon94-

I think you've brought up a great point.

I've said that I don't care whether you tell me that my house is worth $1 or a million dollars, it doesn't really matter until I sell it.

We actually live in our home. What drives me crazy is when people specifically don't do things to their house because it will "hurt the resale value". It's like they're in a holding pattern until they get to the next place, and then they do the same thing again. We've painted our walls colors other than white because we like it that way. When we get ready to sell, we can always paint over it or the next owner can take care of it.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 AM

633 posts, read 2,542,562 times
For the first time, I am in the market to buy a home. And I too, don't understand the idea of live it in a few years and move on up, or resale issues. If I like, I like it. And I may want to improve on it as needs require as we stay there. But for me, I'm tired of moving. I'm tired of being in limbo (always renting). I want to buy a home and stay put. Have the nice home for all the grown kids and their kids to come back to for the holidays and such.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:51 PM

612 posts, read 2,779,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Please!! Just buy a friggin house where it makes you happy.Stop worrying about resale in 2 years. Why is this considered the normal way to buy a home now?? I don't get it!! It never use to be this way. Doesn't anybody want their children to have a child hood home to come home to for xmas anymore???
I completely agree with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics