Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 09:57 PM

30 posts, read 138,395 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have asked before but would now like to ask one more specific question, hopefully with more specific details:

Question: Where would you live in Ottawa if your criteria are below:

1) budget of $2,500/month for rent; 2 or 3 bedroom place
2) have a kid going to preschool. would like a preschool within walking distance from the property, if possible. would be great if I can walk to the Parliament area (for work) from home any time of the year.
3) we prefer more active areas like ByWard market, but have not seen many schools in these areas. possibly prefer a condo in a high-rise (to feel less isolated in a new country).

Any advice or comments are highly appreciated. The more details the better (do not even hesitate to recommend a specific building). Thanks.

Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 08:11 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_looking View Post
3) we prefer more active areas like ByWard market, but have not seen many schools in these areas.
The English language public school for the Byward Market area is not in the market itself but just east of it across King Edward Ave. It is called York St. Public School. Don't know much about the school but York St. East where the school is is not the nicest area of Ottawa.

Quote:
possibly prefer a condo in a high-rise (to feel less isolated in a new country).
I am not one to say that the suburbs are always the best, but I am not sure that a high-rise condo in Ottawa is the best place to meet people if feeling isolated is a concern.

While it is true that downtown areas tend to have street life that suburbs do not, this does not necessarily mean neighbours in condos frequent each other that much.

I'd say you are more likely to get to know your neighbours in a suburban area, or at least in one of the many newer townhome developments that have sprung up in inner parts of Ottawa just outside downtown.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:09 PM

Thank you very much, Acajack. Very much appreciate your advice.

How do you rank Westboro among other suburbs, in terms of activities for families and ease of commuting to the Parliament downtown area? Can you think of anything you do not like about Westboro in general?
Happy New Year!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much, Acajack. Very much appreciate your advice.

How do you rank Westboro among other suburbs, in terms of activities for families and ease of commuting to the Parliament downtown area? Can you think of anything you do not like about Westboro in general?
Happy New Year!
Happy New Year to you too.

Westboro is not considered a suburb. It is more of a gentrified inner city neighbourhood with lots of older single-family houses. Quite expensive by Ottawa standards. Many families who do not want to live in the suburbs (Orleans, Kanata, Barrhaven) choose to live there.

I would say there is quite a bit of family-friendly stuff in Westboro. The area apparently has one of the best recreation centres in Ottawa:
Dovercourt Recreation Centre

Old 01-03-2010, 03:12 PM

106 posts, read 336,497 times
Westboro's the new Glebe. You get that intimate feeling as Richmond Road narrows towards Churchill Avenue. As you stroll along you witness the latest Condo development being erected while you grab a capaccino at one of many speciality coffee shops.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:48 PM

132 posts, read 364,749 times
The northern part of Westboro would be good because the Transitway will zip you downtown in a hurry if you're a public transit user. As well, if you're a cyclist, the Ottawa River bike path will take you there too.

Sandy Hill might be right up your alley, esp. the northern part (the southern part is kind of far from stuff for walking.), and it's close to the Byward Market. The Bette Hyde (I might be spelling it wrong) preschool is there and there are others too I think. You can walk to Parliament from there, and it's close to the canal and also Strathcona park on the Rideau River.

That's a very generous budget for rent for Ottawa, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a place you like within that budget.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM

Thank you all for your responses and advice. I have done some more research and it seems we can lower the rent and may still what we need (and save money for other activities). We are also thinking about staying downtown (i.e. Centretown?) and walk to work to save time. Nevertheless, I have 3 questions that I would like to know your advice:

1) What are the recreation centers closest to Centretown (around zip K1R 7X1) that has programs for kids (e.g. swimming lessons, motoring skill sessions, etc.)?

2) Is walking not an issue at all if we stay within half a mile from the Parliament area (I am thinking about snow/snow storms, etc.)?

3) Are there any legal restrictions in terms of living area per person for rental properties?

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses and advice. I have done some more research and it seems we can lower the rent and may still what we need (and save money for other activities). We are also thinking about staying downtown (i.e. Centretown?) and walk to work to save time. Nevertheless, I have 3 questions that I would like to know your advice:

1) What are the recreation centers closest to Centretown (around zip K1R 7X1) that has programs for kids (e.g. swimming lessons, motoring skill sessions, etc.)?.
There is a pool and community centre just off Elgin St. in downtown Ottawa called Jack Purcell. There is also another one called the Plant Bath at Somerset St. W. and Preston just to the west of that postal code.

Quote:
2) Is walking not an issue at all if we stay within half a mile from the Parliament area (I am thinking about snow/snow storms, etc.)?
Walking is not really an issue as sidewalks in downtown Ottawa are plowed. You can also take the bus if you want.

Quote:
3) Are there any legal restrictions in terms of living area per person for rental properties?
I think it is two people maximum per bedroom but you might want to google the Ontario Building Code or write to the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:39 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
Langley.

Did you LOOK at the DATE of this thread ? It is from FIVE YEARS AGO.

Reading the date on a thread.............. is a basic thing to do, wouldn't you agree ?

Jim B. in Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau