Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 17,681 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Ottawa later this year and I'm looking for a place to stay. I have found some good cheap places in Lowertown, however, I have been advised that Lowertown is a "bad area".

Could someone shed some light on this for me? I'd like a couple of opinions.

It's a bit risky looking for a place when you know little about the areas of Ottawa!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:01 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
West of King Edward in this area is a lot nicer than east of King Edward. The only area of Lowertown that I would avoid west of KE is the actual corners of KE and Murray and KE and St. Patrick.

Also the area between Murray and Rideau is the Byward Market and can be quite noisy.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
West of King Edward in this area is a lot nicer than east of King Edward. The only area of Lowertown that I would avoid west of KE is the actual corners of KE and Murray and KE and St. Patrick.

Also the area between Murray and Rideau is the Byward Market and can be quite noisy.
Thank you for your reply, Acajack.

When you say you would "avoid", what are the reasons?

I'm looking at places near MacDonald Gardens Park. So would be East of KE?

Thank you

Old 06-10-2014, 11:51 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etetera View Post
Thank you for your reply, Acajack.

When you say you would "avoid", what are the reasons?

I'm looking at places near MacDonald Gardens Park. So would be East of KE?

Thank you
Crime and just generally undesirable behaviour. That area you mentioned looks ok though, as it's quite far away from KE. The not-so-nice streets are around Beausoleil, York St. E., etc.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Crime and just generally undesirable behaviour. That area you mentioned looks ok though, as it's quite far away from KE. The not-so-nice streets are around Beausoleil, York St. E., etc.
Thank you.

Are there any other places in Ottawa to avoid or any that you would recommend?

Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,375,032 times
To avoid: the neighbourhood called Carlington (in the west end, around the intersection of Kirkwood and Merivale); Montreal Road near where it intersects with Marier, in the neighbourhood called Vanier just east of downtown. Mind you, these areas are fairly safe during the day. They're pretty sketchy at night, though.

If you're still wondering about neighbourhoods to stay in, I'd recommend Sandy Hill (just east of downtown) and Centretown (just south of downtown). They have affordable apartments, and they're quite close to downtown. Close to the buses, and within easy walking distance of downtown too.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
To avoid: the neighbourhood called Carlington (in the west end, around the intersection of Kirkwood and Merivale); Montreal Road near where it intersects with Marier, in the neighbourhood called Vanier just east of downtown. Mind you, these areas are fairly safe during the day. They're pretty sketchy at night, though.

If you're still wondering about neighbourhoods to stay in, I'd recommend Sandy Hill (just east of downtown) and Centretown (just south of downtown). They have affordable apartments, and they're quite close to downtown. Close to the buses, and within easy walking distance of downtown too.
Thank you very much. I'm currently looking for places in Sandy Hill. I've found one that is just out of Sandy Hill (Wilbrod Street). What is that like? It's just next to KE.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etetera View Post
Thank you very much. I'm currently looking for places in Sandy Hill. I've found one that is just out of Sandy Hill (Wilbrod Street). What is that like? It's just next to KE.
Relatively quiet, considering how close it is to the Rideau Centre (big shopping mall). You'd be very close to the U of Ottawa campus. Old Victorian houses, streets with lots of trees.

Rideau St. is a main street through the downtown, and King Edward also has a lot of traffic. Laurier is busy but not as bad as Rideau/King Edward. Otherwise that neighbourhood is quiet.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,596 times
Hi there
Was hoping someone could give an update on the neighbourhoods in Ottawa? (Nepean, Centretown, Carlington, Westboro, Vanier etc)
I'm moving from Kitchener to Ottawa for school (Algonquin) and have been trying to find a place to rent
Any places to avoid/recommend?
Our budget is $900 all inclusive
I found cheap places downtown but did some digging and found a huge pest problem in some of the buildings there, are those reports accurate?
Planning to visit and see the area for ourselves this summer
Very excited for this move it looks like a beautiful and fun city
just looking for some feedback from people who live there
Thanks a lot!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Catt View Post
Hi there
Was hoping someone could give an update on the neighbourhoods in Ottawa? (Nepean, Centretown, Carlington, Westboro, Vanier etc)
I'm moving from Kitchener to Ottawa for school (Algonquin) and have been trying to find a place to rent
Any places to avoid/recommend?
Our budget is $900 all inclusive
I found cheap places downtown but did some digging and found a huge pest problem in some of the buildings there, are those reports accurate?
Planning to visit and see the area for ourselves this summer
Very excited for this move it looks like a beautiful and fun city
just looking for some feedback from people who live there
Thanks a lot!
They haven't changed a whole lot from what's already been discussed in this thread... Acajack's summary of "sketchy" areas is still accurate. Mind you, those areas are pretty safe during the day. They just draw a certain "element" during the nighttime.

The best places for finding a decent place to rent include Centretown, Westboro, Wellington West, and the Little Italy area (around Preston Street). You can find cheaper rents near to Wellington West, in the Hintonburg/Mechanicsville area. Westboro and Wellington West are basically gentrifying, and quite rapidly. Nice places to rent. There are some quaint "main streets" along the main drags in those neighbourhoods. Lots of small businesses, cafes, boutiques, and so on. There are some nice new condo buildings too, where you can find rentals in the $900/month range.

Nepean's quite nice, it's mainly a low-rise bungalow residential area though, with many residents who've been there since the 1960s (it grew rapidly during that time). Further out in that area, there's Barrhaven, a suburb that's just exploded in population and development over the past 15 years. Barrhaven would be a great place to look into if you have children. Lots of young families there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau