Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:39 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Yes, she normally eats healthy, however its not just like she ate unhealthy for a bit. She is visibly MUCH larger, creating such a large impact on one's body in such a short period of time is not healthy physically or mentally. She looks like a different body was placed on her. She has left before and always been responsible, she has never come back looking like this
Ok, DEFINE different, like 5 lbs, 40 lbs? Maybe it isn't the eating, which I seriously doubt 2 weeks would change a normally healthy person THAT much, maybe there is something medically going on with her?

We have some "friends" who thinks that if your rear is larger then your palms placed side by side you are FAT. They look very unhealthy because they are TOO thin and have a lot of health issues as a result. Basically my point is, it is all relative. I also think you are just a little too worked up over this and perhaps are WAY too focused on your DD's appearance. If she put on a couple pounds eating while on vacation, so what, her body will recover after a week or so.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
So I have an incredibly healthy, active, in shape, thin teen. She knows more about nutrition then most adults and is a foodie, prefers gourmet foods. Well, that when she is at home

She was just gone for 10 days with her friend and her family on their vacation. She returned home and I was shocked. She is visibly MUCH larger. I mean her thighs, bottom, face and arms look like someone else's! The family she went with is on the larger side, but regardless my daughter knows how to eat and make smart choices, but they ate out 3 times a day, were not active in the least, and apparently ordered appetizers with every meal, just over ate, ate fine dining establishments, but still.

I am just shocked that she could look soooo different in such a short period of time. Is this normal? We were just overseas last month and we ate pasta and dessert almost daily and she didnt gain a pound, but then again we walked 10 miles a day and we always split the sweets which were small portions anyway.

She told me she does not feel good about how she looks and how she changed and she will go back to eating well and working out as usual. But has anyone seen anything like this before? Such intense weight gain in a small period of time? She has done this once or twice before, when visiting family in another state, who just buys her daily milkshakes and go out to eat nonstop. I am supportive....but at the same time I told her she should know better than to allow herself to do this to her body, because yoyoing with weight is not a healthy or positive thing to do to yourself!!!
Do you find it difficult to accept your daughter if she isn't model-thin?

Old 07-03-2010, 10:48 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Your daughter is going to end up with an eating disorder if you're not more conscious about what you say to her. I really doubt she could have gained 20 pounds in 10 days. The most she could have gained is may be 5 in that short amount of time.
Why don't you have her checked out by the Dr. and make sure everything is working ok with her or have her thyroid checked instead of complaining that she has gained a few pounds.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:03 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
When I was 17 I spent a week with my grandmother. She made three big meals a day plus deserts, and I came home weighing 7 pounds more. Later I found out that she gained weight, too. She made extra big meals and added on the deserts, because she didn't want me to go home saying that she didn't feed me!

Your daughter overate and gained weight. It's happens. Now she can revert to her regular eating pattern and exercise routines and the weight will come off.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:46 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
So you're gonna limit her next vacation with this girl because you don't want her gaining weight? WTF? And people wonder why young women have such body issues these days.

You sound incredibly superficial and overly concerned with the physical attractiveness of your daughters body. She's not gonna get fat in a couple weeks.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:17 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Also how tall is she. I am 5'4" and I gained 5 lbs in college and it was the difference between 2 pants sizes. Where as 5 lbs on someone who is 5'8" doesn't really matter.

Also how old is she in relation to when she started her period. She may just be filling out a little. I remember having the body of a race horse (muscular, thin, lean) at 13 and by 15 I was softer and curvier. Curvy is my body type now and honestly I eat much better than I did.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:40 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
If you're supportive, ease up on her! She already said she feels bad. I'm sure she'll get back into her healthy routine and have the extra weight off in no time. You're going to seriously mess up her self mage, if you haven't already.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:21 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
Thank you for being one of the only responders who wrote something logical, and not attacking towards me.

Unfortunately, due to one of us being a MD, and one of the girls parents being a MD we cannot make up a "medical condition". Our daughter is on a couple sports teams however and does need to stay in shape. Our daughter told us that the mother stocked the hotel room with junk food and would get cheese fries and empty calories like that for room service a few times for their dinners. Our daughter asked for salads but that was not enough food and would get hungry and end up eating the junk as well. On top of that they were inactive on this vacation as well, no gym, used car instead of walking, etc etc.

As for the rude and assumptive messages, I refuse to respond, however I know my daughter, obviously I would not be concerned if it were merely a couple pounds. I am not American, and do not consider fries or junk food actual food and am completely appalled that someone responsible for my daughter would feed her this way. We are very nutrition conscious around here, not body conscious. If it is not good for us, we rarely eat it, and we make healthy meals and desserts instead. These rude posts are uncalled for and very wrong, how dare anyone assume i will give her a disorder because I care about the nutitional value of what she puts in her body. These posts say more about the people writing them then they do about my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
She's a teen. Teen hormones work differently. Thankfully she can work off the weight she's gained. But, what about you, the parent, talking with her friend's parents? Instead of relying on the two kids to be active (which is clear won't happen if you rely on that), why not talk to the parents. Tell them your daughter has a medical condition (which, you won't tell her, is called "being a healthy active teenager), that requires her to be physically active for at least an hour every day. That it's a circulation thing (which it is, healthy people are healthy, because they move around and their blood circulates better), and even if it's just taking a walk, it must be done daily or your poor suffering daughter will suffer.

Tell the parents that of course you'll trust them to make sure she gets her hour of exercise every day, and that she'll be safe doing it since she'll have company with her (the friend, who can benefit as well).

Send them a little gift in advance to thank them for their hospitality - since they like food so much, maybe a natural foods cookbook (natural food cooking can be VERY fattening but it's a step in the right direction at least).

Old 07-03-2010, 02:25 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
Judgmental much? No, I do not want my daughter spending time with people with unhealthy habits.

How dare you call me superficial when you know nothing about me? I am concerned with the health of my child, I am not American and therefore my child does not sit infront of the tv and eat junkfood and get obese. You sould highly presumptive with your ignorant post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
So you're gonna limit her next vacation with this girl because you don't want her gaining weight? WTF? And people wonder why young women have such body issues these days.

You sound incredibly superficial and overly concerned with the physical attractiveness of your daughters body. She's not gonna get fat in a couple weeks.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:30 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
If she looks that much heavier, i bet she's suffering from edema/water retention. You should have her checked out by her pediatrician to find out the cause, like allergic reaction or even prescription-related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting