Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm wondering about the medical advice too. When my son was 3 my pregnant girlfriend came over and was telling us she just threw up on her way there --- he went into the medicine cabinet and brought her the Pepto Bismo.
....its amazing what their minds absorb when you don't think they're even listening.

Last edited by virgode; 07-18-2010 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 02:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
When that three year old can figure out how to get the Leaning Tower to stand upright, give me a call.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:05 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
My kids both were reading at three... so I don't see where that is unusual.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Maybe it's news worthy because it's extremely uncommon in Pisa, Italy.
Which is how it should remain.

Very different from the US where half of 3 yo-s in families with "pretentions" and "aspirations" are pushed to read, thereby forcing the families of the other half into forcing reading on them too.

3yo-s have absolutely NO BUSINESS reading - and if they are reading, this should be a sign that they need to be re-directed towards other age-appropriate activities.

I pray Italy refrains from going insane over "early literacy skills" like other countries I know have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My kids both were reading at three... so I don't see where that is unusual.
And it was imperative that this piece of info would be posted here because...???

Sorry, I couldn't help it, but I am so sick of narcissistic parents like I cannot describe in words.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
My cousin could spell "candy" at three. It was more of a party trick type thing. Kind of like she was programed to say "C-A-N-D-Y" when ever someone said "Spell Candy".

Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Which is how it should remain.

Very different from the US where half of 3 yo-s in families with "pretentions" and "aspirations" are pushed to read, thereby forcing the families of the other half into forcing reading on them too.

3yo-s have absolutely NO BUSINESS reading - and if they are reading, this should be a sign that they need to be re-directed towards other age-appropriate activities.

I pray Italy refrains from going insane over "early literacy skills" like other countries I know have.

And it was imperative that this piece of info would be posted here because...???

Sorry, I couldn't help it, but I am so sick of narcissistic parents like I cannot describe in words.
It's that contest: Mine is Better Than Yours. Didn't you enter when your kids were born? Most mothers do. It's been going on for about 20 years, I'm suprised you haven't heard about it.

It is played like this: When someone has a baby, they buy the most expensive, most popular name brand everything they can find, then tell everybody about it. The child must begin reading very, very early to beat the next door neighbor baby who seems to be lagging in her "Who are the Government Heads in Every Country in the World" game.

As the child grows, they have to be the best at everything, gifted in every subject and in AP and G/T programs at every level. They MUST play numerous sports.

When they get to be teens, they simply must have pristine behavior and never give parents any problems. They must excel in every subject known to man and be accepted in the most prestigeous colleges across the country. It's even better if they are accepted into three or four. Ivy is always a good starting point.

There's a lot more to the game, but I think you get the idea.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
It's that contest: Mine is Better Than Yours. Didn't you enter when your kids were born? Most mothers do. It's been going on for about 20 years, I'm suprised you haven't heard about it.

It is played like this: When someone has a baby, they buy the most expensive, most popular name brand everything they can find, then tell everybody about it. The child must begin reading very, very early to beat the next door neighbor baby who seems to be lagging in her "Who are the Government Heads in Every Country in the World" game.

As the child grows, they have to be the best at everything, gifted in every subject and in AP and G/T programs at every level. They MUST play numerous sports.

When they get to be teens, they simply must have pristine behavior and never give parents any problems. They must excel in every subject known to man and be accepted in the most prestigeous colleges across the country. It's even better if they are accepted into three or four. Ivy is always a good starting point.

There's a lot more to the game, but I think you get the idea.

I know about the game, NoExcuses. It is a disgusting one that is literally dragging humanity into a hellish corner. IF ONLY "the game" truly resulted in "teens with pristine behavior" and otherwise wonderful adults. Mountains of evidence have been accumulating pointing to the HARD ROCK FACT that none of this is happening as a result of "the game", on the contrary.

"The game" yields a very large number of downright nasty teenagers as well as selfish, superficial, ultimately-uneducated-despite-layers-upon layers-of-advanced-degrees and trophies (often downright stupid), and highly unethical adult individuals later on. Ivy or not Ivy.

A society of self-absorbed, narcissistic monsters - this is what I see emerging as a result of "the game". This country does not suffer from a lack of high IQ scores. After all, the devil himself has a very high IQ too. This country, and increasingly the rest of the world, suffers from a lack of high enough EQ, (aka emotional, and I would also add ethical, quotient).

I will choose to not elaborate here (and perhaps open another thread on the larger topic), as I am too fresh from having just experienced an incident with such a competitive/offspring-worship/self-absorbed/no consequences type family. (Ex-friends of ours, as of Saturday).
Their almost 5 yo rabid dog son (an essential undiagnosed retardo, looking, speaking and behaving like a 2 1/2yo) scratched my 2yo girl's face COMPLETELY out of the blue - simply because she was in his way when his mother called him to go somewhere. That moment he entered into such a rabid state that he was ready to maul whatever was around him. Unfortunately, my 2 yo was "it" and it happened in a matter of seconds. By the time we got him away from her, she was already bleeding.

Her face is all scratched now and there is a chance she might be left with a small scar.
The pieces of S**t parents just sketched an "I am sorry" but there was absolutely NO CONSEQUENCE for the nasty barbarian.

We were unfortunately visiting with them (in another city) after not seeing them for 3 years. Eternity would now be too soon. I am now considering legal action though I am not sure we can pull off a case.

When I have the time, I will probably take the liberty to write an "open letter" to all such parents (you know who the H you are, because there are too many of you around and the world would certainly be a better place if both you and your offspring would somehow disappear).

I learned that it might just be counterproductive to raise well-behaved, polite, considerate and empathetic children in a society of animals; and because I obviously cannot change society, I have to look at the things I can change, both short and long term.
Just note that the short term, (until my children learn self-defense sufficiently well to get your nasty brat to the ER), might include ME, THE ADULT, catching your "little darling" in a vulnerable moment when no one is watching, and kicking him hard enough to lower his rabid "self-esteem" a notch or two.

Last edited by syracusa; 07-19-2010 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 12:32 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I know about the game, NoExcuses. It is a disgusting one that is literally dragging humanity into a hellish corner. IF ONLY "the game" truly resulted in "teens with pristine behavior" and otherwise wonderful adults.
But part of the game is they never become adults. They stay with mom well into their twenties and lead defective lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa
I will choose to not elaborate here (and perhaps open another thread on the larger topic), as I am too fresh from having just experienced an incident with such a competitive/offspring-worship/self-absorbed/no consequences type family. (Ex-friends of ours, as of Saturday).
Their almost 5 yo rabid dog son (an essential undiagnosed retardo, looking, speaking and behaving like a 2 1/2yo) scratched my 2yo girl's face COMPLETELY out of the blue - simply because she was in his way when his mother called him to go somewhere. That moment he entered into such a rabid state that he was ready to maul whatever was around him. Unfortunately, my 2 yo was "it" and it happened in a matter of seconds. By the time we got him away from her, she was already bleeding.

Her face is all scratched now and there is a chance she might be left with a small scar.
The pieces of S**t parents just sketched an "I am sorry" but there was absolutely NO CONSEQUENCE for the nasty barbarian.
Unfortunately these are side effects. Kids who can't contain themselves or totally lose control from being so under control and pressure of the parents and society will grow into big people (adults?) who cannot control themselves, or explode from holding so much frustration and everything else they are not allowed to express all the years of growing.

Parents, on the other hand do not believe in any kind of meaningful consequences for the exploding kids and grown kids because spanking or any other kind is just so barbaric and certainly not needed because we can just talk them to death and they will understand and sooner or later stop the undesired behavior.

Your daughter didn't deserve that attack.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
But part of the game is they never become adults. They stay with mom well into their twenties and lead defective lives.Unfortunately these are side effects. Kids who can't contain themselves or totally lose control from being so under control and pressure of the parents and society will grow into big people (adults?) who cannot control themselves, or explode from holding so much frustration and everything else they are not allowed to express all the years of growing.

Parents, on the other hand do not believe in any kind of meaningful consequences for the exploding kids and grown kids because spanking or any other kind is just so barbaric and certainly not needed because we can just talk them to death and they will understand and sooner or later stop the undesired behavior.

Your daughter didn't deserve that attack.
I will not hijack the thread - because this is already a different topic, be it related in quite subtle ways. But I will probably be back with a separate thread - as I am still foaming at the mouth.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I've read many articles stating that while early reading is fine, it does not presuppose the child will be super intelligent or do any better in academia than an average of even late reader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting