Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:10 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times

Advertisements

Exclusive: Teen Arrested for Kidnapping Tot: 'Just Trying to Help' - ABC News

What a bunch of crock...what is with cops today and not doing their jobs correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 03:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
The kid, however, was an idiot. You don't leave the store with someone else's child. You take the child to the cashier or other employee and have them announce that they have a lost child.

How could the mom know that the boy was NOT trying to kidnap the child? He left the store with her. Even a teenager can be a pedofile.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:26 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
All the cop had was Edwin's word that he wasn't trying to steal the kid. Well...honestly, do we expect someone who IS trying to to admit it?

The arrest was completely appropriate IMO. (Particularly when you consider all this occurred in Florida, the baby-killing nutjob capital of the free world.) Deciding whether to charge him, and with what, is up to the DA, and it sounds like he won't be. Even if he were, whether to convict is yet another story-- so the "he could get"s are a little premature.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The kid, however, was an idiot. You don't leave the store with someone else's child. You take the child to the cashier or other employee and have them announce that they have a lost child.

How could the mom know that the boy was NOT trying to kidnap the child? He left the store with her. Even a teenager can be a pedofile.
Yeah but does a 14 year old really know what to do?
Most don't. At 14 they think the right thing to do is go look for the parent.
The woman even saw the boy and walked off from him and didn't say anything to him. Plus he was there with his own mother, why would be get arrested while with his own mom for trying to find a little girls mom. Ok, he didn't follow the procedure we all know to follow but then again what procedures do a 14 year old know to follow besides "X X A B B {spin joystick} HIGH SCORE!"

Old 08-11-2010, 03:34 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Ridiculous. What justice is being served by charging this kid?

Old 08-11-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yeah but does a 14 year old really know what to do?
Most don't. At 14 they think the right thing to do is go look for the parent.
The woman even saw the boy and walked off from him and didn't say anything to him. Plus he was there with his own mother, why would be get arrested while with his own mom for trying to find a little girls mom. Ok, he didn't follow the procedure we all know to follow but then again what procedures do a 14 year old know to follow besides "X X A B B {spin joystick} HIGH SCORE!"
Really? At 14, the kid has never heard of stranger danger and never thought he *might* be a stranger to the child?

I don't think he should have been arrested, necessarily, but I do think he lacked common sense.

The child probably should not have gone with him either.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ridiculous. What justice is being served by charging this kid?
I know right?
He's a 14 year old who thought going to look for the mom was the right thing to do, his intentions were in the right place just his way of trying to help was the wrong way.

You can't fault someone for trying to help the only way they know.

Arresting the boy was going too far. They should have checked the security tapes first to see how exactly it happened.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Really? At 14, the kid has never heard of stranger danger and never thought he *might* be a stranger to the child?

I don't think he should have been arrested, necessarily, but I do think he lacked common sense.

The child probably should not have gone with him either.
If we go by that logic then all of us are strangers to kids who get lost in stores and we should just stay away from all of them and not help.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
If we go by that logic then all of us are strangers to kids who get lost in stores and we should just stay away from all of them and not help.
You should bring them to the store employees who can then call for the parent. You certainly should never walk out of the store with a child who is not your own.

And parents should also make sure their kids know that if they are lost they head to the front of the store or a cashier's station.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:26 PM

573 posts, read 1,689,880 times
Maybe the teen's mom should have been with him the whole time, being a female and all. If they both were looking for the mom, w/ the female holding the little girl's hand, it probably would have been a different outcome. You can never be too careful...but I doubt this boy will be charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting