Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
No, it doesn't. Out of the parents in this thread who have teenage boys, a greater percentage have experienced their sons' disappointment with how girls only want sex these days.

Your views on sex might be liberal, but your veiws about males is very old fashioned. And you will see that we are right when your son becomes a teenager. Some things you can't truly know until you actually experience it first hand as a parent. Come back 10 years from now and tell me how your son felt.

Mine started out being thrilled to have sex without committment, but he ultimately realized that he wanted a girlfriend, not just sex. And he only cried that once. He had become depressed and hit a low point. Don't overly focus on 'crying' and recognize that boys do care very much about forming real relationships with girls. Some might be all about just having sex, but that's not the norm from what I've witnessed from this generation of teens.

pfft my view about males is quite modern . Hence why i bring in the bacon and my husband works pt , or course he has a pension but that is besides the point :-P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
But the thing is every mother thinks their child shares all the special details with them. While he might share things he doesn't admit to friends....it goes vice versa too, there are thing he would never share with you either. My mother used to rave to her friends about how i would only come to her with some of my problems....the problem is i also went to my friends with the same issues. And many problems i had i didn't even tell her about.
Not every mother thinks their child shares everything. There are plenty of mothers who know darn well their children won't share things with them. But that doesn't mean that MommaBear's son doesn't share everything with her about how he feels about girlfriends and sex.

We KNOW our children were sharing their real feelings because THEY CAME TO US WITH THIS SPECIFIC PROBLEM. We didn't seek them out and ask them. They were distressed and unhappy. I don't know why you keep going in circles about this. You just need to take our word that we know our children when it comes to this issue.

I know every girl my son has had sex with. I don't know details, but I know who. I knew who all along, not after-the-fact years later. My son didn't keep secrets about being sexually active.

He wanted a girlfriend. He didn't just want sex. Once he realized the girls only wanted him for sex, he started telling them he wasn't interested anymore.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't need (nor want) to know the details of my child's sex life. However, I am certain he would never tell his team mates he was mad that this girl dumped him and then wanted to use him to boost his image. I am also certain there are things he would tell his team mates that he would never say to me. That's all very appropriate.

No teenager shares all the details with their parents. But when they need guidance they do come to their parents if they feel the relationship is safe.

Hmmm i'm not sure when i waitressed the boys there shared pretty soft details that you are saying they wouldn't with each other.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
pfft my view about males is quite modern . Hence why i bring in the bacon and my husband works pt , or course he has a pension but that is besides the point :-P.
Regardless, your views about men and sex are very old fashioned. Since you strive to be so liberal minded, perhaps you might want to ponder that issue some more.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Not every mother thinks their child shares everything. There are plenty of mothers who know darn well their children won't share things with them. But that doesn't mean that MommaBear's son doesn't share everything with her about how he feels about girlfriends and sex.

We KNOW our children were sharing their real feelings because THEY CAME TO US WITH THIS SPECIFIC PROBLEM. We didn't seek them out and ask them. They were distressed and unhappy. I don't know why you keep going in circles about this. You just need to take our word that we know our children when it comes to this issue.

I know every girl my son has had sex with. I don't know details, but I know who. I knew who all along, not after-the-fact years later. My son didn't keep secrets about being sexually active.

He wanted a girlfriend. He didn't just want sex. Once he realized the girls only wanted him for sex, he started telling them he wasn't interested anymore.

I didn't say she wouldn't what i said is that parents always assume that they are the only one their kid is sharing information with....sometimes that special bit he shared with some of his close friends too and seeks a consensus. As for it lets just agree to disagree because as you said this is just going in circles :-P.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Regardless, your views about men and sex are very old fashioned. Since you strive to be so liberal minded, perhaps you might want to ponder that issue some more.

LOL like i said you would be amazed at my views on men and sex ....i am just observing what i have seen is all.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
No teenager shares all the details with their parents. But when they need guidance they do come to their parents if they feel the relationship is safe.
That's right! I've never known details. He never shared them. I never wanted them! All I know is WHO. That's not very much in regards to details.

I'm glad I provided my children with a relationship where they felt safe coming to me when they needed to.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
That's right! I've never known details. He never shared them. I never wanted them! All I know is WHO. That's not very much in regards to details.

I'm glad I provided my children with a relationship where they felt safe coming to me when they needed to.

I have heard of families who are that open....that's a bit to open for even me though .

Old 09-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I have heard of families who are that open....that's a bit to open for even me though .
Well, there you go. Finally, you believe that we do know a thing or two about our children.

I've known disgustingly open families; we're not one of those families. It's not like you're implying.

It's not like he came home and announced, "I slept with X" whenever he had sex. He mentioned it in passing during conversations a few months later.

It's just I know he had sex with X, Y & Z fairly regularly as a teen and he had a one-night-stand when he met someone while camping with friends.

The camping incident was mentioned by his friend---who woke up and couldn't find him---and was picking on him for it while I was in the car with them.

There might be others in his past. I have no clue, nor do I want to know.

One thing is certain, my son wanted a girlfriend and grew tired of girls wanting JUST sex.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
I have always been open with my kids, who are now all grown up with children of their own. We had five and I decided to be open and answer questions as they came up. I did teach them to wait until marriage for sex, pretty old school, but certainly sound advice. I can still remember when my daughter at 16 told me she felt she and her boyfriend were ready for sex. I think some gray hairs popped out suddenly. My husband and I took the young man to dinner and had a talk with him. Just talked about what if she got pregnant and what would they do. Just told them if they are old enough to have sex then you are old enough to discuss it like an adult. We told them this was their decision but that they should really discuss it and decide how they wanted their lives to go. They came to us a few weeks later and said they would wait. They dated seven years and have been married for about eight years now. I doubt they waited that whole time but it was years and by then were old enough to be responsible if something happened.
It's a tough world out there now with all the STD's and unwanted pregnancies. I already fear from my grand children...four and one on the way...what joy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting