Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 AM

645 posts, read 988,985 times

Advertisements

Oh -here's another thing. I read an article not too long ago, said if you use email you may be over the hill.

Wow...I was just gettin settled in and now y'all want me to move on? Whazzup?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I disagree with some...

Watches - they will still be status symbols, jewelry, and for many people who don't want to look at their phones, timepieces.

Paper maps - somehow, I don't think they are going anywhere. You'd be an idiot not to have one in case of technology failure.

Hand-written letters - I hope that my kids have the sense and the courtesy to send hand-written thank you notes, etc. It's just classy.

Talking to one person at a time - Are you serious?!! This multi-tasking conversation never needs to be the norm. It's the height of rudeness.

All good points, Stan. I'm what you call a very late adopter of technology...I kid around and say that by the time I get new tech, it's on the clearance shelf at the Walmart.

But some things are a matter of good manners and common courtesy. No tech at the dinner table. I never let our kid send an email to say thank you. He writes a thank you card - no exceptions. His grandma went abroad for a trip and she mailed him hand written letters. Wow - he loved getting those letters in the mail! So rare these days.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
I still use/do many of these things! Hahahahaha...actually, I'm embarrassed. New Years resolution: Get with the times!

things-babies-born-in-2011-will-never-know: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
That was pretty good.

I'm kind of sad about maps, though. I love paper maps.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That was pretty good.

I'm kind of sad about maps, though. I love paper maps.
Me too! Nothing like going to the AutoClub, flashing your card, and coming away with a bag full of maps.

Have you looked in the map section of Borders or Barnes and Noble lately? They carry these tremendously cool maps (Borch is one company) that are very durable and are waterproof. For a place like Venice or NYC they hi-light all the places to see. Large print. Just enough detail. I love them!

Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Me too! Nothing like going to the AutoClub, flashing your card, and coming away with a bag full of maps.

Have you looked in the map section of Borders or Barnes and Noble lately? They carry these tremendously cool maps (Borch is one company) that are very durable and are waterproof. For a place like Venice or NYC they hi-light all the places to see. Large print. Just enough detail. I love them!
No, I have not, but I will now!!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I agree with all the points Stan made, for the same reasons he stated.

I will be very sad the days bookstores, newspapers and magazines fade into oblivion. I have heard bookstores are doing terribly these days, but every time I walk into our closest Barnes and Noble it is very busy. I was there Sunday and waited on a line of at least 15 people.

Film is hard to find now. When one of our kids stated an interest in photography, we dug out our old 35 mm camera with all the fancy lenses, only to discover we couldn't buy film for it locally.

Maps are still available for free at any state welcome center. I always stop in and pick one up.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 AM

163 posts, read 390,946 times
I just read this article this morning. I was saying the same thing about cd's a few weeks ago. I'm 28 and my generation saw them come and go. I remember when I got my first radio for christmas. My sister worked at sam goodys ( old music store) and she bought me all of these casset tapes ( Mc Hammer was my favorite). Then I remember my first disk man when I turned 16....who remembers pagers? We all had them in high school. Thought we where so important and cool. Now you are the joke of the class if you are in the 5th grade without a cell phone! how crazy is that?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnEllise View Post
....who remembers pagers? We all had them in high school. Thought we where so important and cool.
I remember pagers. I know I still have a couple somewhere. Probably next to my laser disc player, boxes of 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch floppy discs, dot matrix printer, and an old Technics record player. Got a Ronco food dehydrator also.

I still use my cassette tapes. Got some great stuff. Every once my player will eat the tape and I gotta pull it all out then grab a pencil and stick it into one of the holes and start reelin' it all back in! Good as new! (well - almost...).

Old 01-08-2011, 07:28 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
But some things are a matter of good manners and common courtesy. No tech at the dinner table. I never let our kid send an email to say thank you. He writes a thank you card - no exceptions. His grandma went abroad for a trip and she mailed him hand written letters. Wow - he loved getting those letters in the mail! So rare these days.
Exactly! Technology changes, but I don't see how there's an excuse for rudeness/lack of effort in social relationships. If anything, new technology should make life easier with the day-to-day so there is more time for face-to-face contact.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Herea are a few more:

Playing outside.
Playing with a child that your mother doesn't know.
Making up your own game.
Playing baseball without uniforms, a coach and an umpire.
Fishing.
Exploring.
Wondering.
Mom cooking dinner.
Family eating dinner together.
Walking to school.
Going to school when it's snowing.
Buying candy (or anything) with a coin.
Buying candy without showing a government issued photo ID.
Being allowed to go to the candy store.
Drinking water out of the faucet.
Standing up behind the drivers seat and asking your dad about the world you see out the car windows.
Being outdoors at night.
Seeing stars if ever outdoors at night.
Writing poetry about something besides suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting