Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 02:01 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,471,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I had no idea that boy scouts received federal funding. That's wrong. The government should be held accountable for that.

$350,000 of federal funds will go to the Gay Men’s Health Crisis, Inc.’s Combating the Use of Crystal Methamphetamine Nationally Program to launch a multi-tiered anti-crystal methamphetamine campaign to help fight the increasing rate of HIV transmission. The use of crystal methamphetamine has reached epidemic proportions, contributing to a dramatic influx in the number of new HIV cases among certain populations of gay men. The campaign will focus on reducing the use of crystal methamphetamine, thereby reducing its impact on the transmission of HIV and other sexually-transmitted infections.

If federal funds can go towards something like this, the Boy Scouts should be eligible for funds.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM

434 posts, read 1,654,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
Your point is taken. And sorry, I didn't realize you are a woman.

I'm right there with you on not wanting the religious right to influence laws/rights for everyone else. Since the Boy Scouts is a private organization, though, they can get away with deciding who becomes a leader or a scout and who does not based on their beliefs.

I have never understood, though, how the Boy Scouts can get federal funding when they are considered a "private organization" and they can exclude certain people from their ranks. It always kind of bothered me that the Boy Scouts got federal $$ while the Girl Scouts got nothing.
You're right, we can't decide who becomes a leader or a scout, but as a parent, I don't want my kids to learn that it's ok to exclude people. We can teach them the environmental things, find other peer groups for them, etc. where it's ok to accept people for who they are. Morality isn't about who someone loves, it's about allowing those people the same opportunities and legal rights to do so.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,047,807 times
I think I would support scouts more if they didn't allow bullies (at least in our chapter) to harrass and physically along with mentally abuse some of the other boys to the point of runing them off. I also have a real problem with the national board selling off things that have been donated by local people to the local scouts so they have more money to spend, sometimes having to buy the same stuff (real estate,IE: islands) back at higher prices.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:04 PM

434 posts, read 1,654,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
$350,000 of federal funds will go to the Gay Men’s Health Crisis, Inc.’s Combating the Use of Crystal Methamphetamine Nationally Program to launch a multi-tiered anti-crystal methamphetamine campaign to help fight the increasing rate of HIV transmission. The use of crystal methamphetamine has reached epidemic proportions, contributing to a dramatic influx in the number of new HIV cases among certain populations of gay men. The campaign will focus on reducing the use of crystal methamphetamine, thereby reducing its impact on the transmission of HIV and other sexually-transmitted infections.

If federal funds can go towards something like this, the Boy Scouts should be eligible for funds.
You're right. Heaven forbid money goes to stop people from dying. But let me guess, you probably believe they deserve it.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-15-2007 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: language

Old 08-15-2007, 02:10 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,471,516 times
I believe if you are engaged in activities that put you at risk you should have to pay for it out of your own pocket, like the above activities and things like acholism.

The Boy Scouts are an asset to society and should be funded.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:46 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 787,404 times
I don't think my 12 year old son even KNOWS that gays are excluded from Boy Scouts. He's in scouts because HE wanted to join and it provides leadership opportunities along with so much more (including camping trips with his friends). The benefits definitely outweigh any negatives. I think in a perfect world, in which we do not live nor we will ever live, we can pick and choose. But in the real world there are no other clubs, organizations, and such that offer a program on the same par as the scouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
You're right, we can't decide who becomes a leader or a scout, but as a parent, I don't want my kids to learn that it's ok to exclude people. We can teach them the environmental things, find other peer groups for them, etc. where it's ok to accept people for who they are. Morality isn't about who someone loves, it's about allowing those people the same opportunities and legal rights to do so.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
I don't think my 12 year old son even KNOWS that gays are excluded from Boy Scouts.
I know my 15-year-old doesn't know. Heck, I didn't know either!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 PM

20,350 posts, read 19,962,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Boy scouts, alone, cannot guarantee success.
Neither does literacy, or regular church attendence, or two loving parents.

But common sense dictates that one should put the odds in one's favor and active participation is Scouts does that.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 PM

20,350 posts, read 19,962,643 times
I often wonder how it would be if there were more Scout troops in the inner cities. They're not exactly overflowing with a surplus of good male role models.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,173 times
there is a conflict of wheather boyscouts should accept all people. i belive everyone should be accepted into boyscouts and dont take this the wrong way. my only consern is of that person is there to make the troop better or just that to take from it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting