Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:22 PM

613 posts, read 991,845 times

Advertisements

YouTube - ADHD Children: For Parents Of Children With ADHD

What if homework wasn't a battle?
What if his room wasn't a disaster?
Non stressful morning routine?
Kids who listen?
Not frustrated with completing a task; a task I have to assume this kid is NOT enjoying
Not having to repeat yourself over and over?
A teenager who is not sick of doing the same boring routine every day?
A Parent/Teacher Conference where a teacher glows about your perfectly behaved child?
A teenager who doesn't feel misunderstood?

Sounds like BLISS! If I knew it was going to be that easy, I would have had 10 children.

NEWSFLASH, dealing with all of the above is a daily part of parenting. What are we trying to create here, fictional characters straight out of The Brady Bunch? I don't even think the Brady Bunch kids were so well behaved!

I honestly thought this was a joke at first; it's not. And their first recommendation?

Medicate

And if we can achieve these amazing results with kids with ADHD, why stop there? Why not just medicate all kids? WTH?

Sorry for the rant. Just frustrated with the pushing of labels and medication on our kids these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 03:51 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
I agree 100%! From what I have personally seen with ADD/ADHD kids is that they need more interaction and patience. I also happen to be one of those dreaded parents who feel that the second a student shows any type of problem with concentrating, hyperactive spurts and low grades the school points directly at ADD/ADHD. It's over-diagnosed. I think more than half of the kids diagnosed right now don't really have it. I also think that those kids who don't really have it, have parents who read too much into normal behavior. "Oh my goodness, lil Johnny just made a mess again, must be ADD/ADHD." What's wrong with having a normal child who is rambuncious?

Old 05-06-2011, 04:26 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
What if homework wasn't a battle?
What if his room wasn't a disaster?
Non stressful morning routine?
Kids who listen?
Not frustrated with completing a task; a task I have to assume this kid is NOT enjoying
Not having to repeat yourself over and over?
A teenager who is not sick of doing the same boring routine every day?
A Parent/Teacher Conference where a teacher glows about your perfectly behaved child?
A teenager who doesn't feel misunderstood?
That describes me perfectly!

Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
Seems as though a lot of people want "stepford" children. I mean, let a kid be a kid. They get messy, don't listen, talk back, talk too much, won't listen, won't sit still..... Isn't this normal? Oh no, lets medicate so they will just sit there and be a robot.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:44 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Seems as though a lot of people want "stepford" children. I mean, let a kid be a kid. They get messy, don't listen, talk back, talk too much, won't listen, won't sit still..... Isn't this normal? Oh no, lets medicate so they will just sit there and be a robot.

That's what the schools seem to want. Especially with boys.

It is one reason why we switched to Montessori. The Montessori method understands that children actually learn THROUGH movement. Movement is encouraged, but within reason.

We looked at a really awesome Montessori school in a city we ended up not moving to....they have mini trampolines all along the huge deck that runs behind the classrooms, so that if a child has energy to burn, they can go bounce around on the trampoline, and when they feel more calm, can come in and rejoin the work in progress.

Have you ever noticed how the older generations say "We never had all this ADHD nonsense when we were young". Why is that, I wonder? Is it all of a sudden in the last 50 years that we have so many children with this disorder?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
When situations get extreme, to the point where a child can't function, then maybe there might be a medical problem, but otherwise I agree. A hyperactive child? ADHD. Rebellious? Oppositional defiance disorder. Quirky personality? Aspergers or autism. Trouble with math or reading? Learning disorder. It's like we don't want kids to be kids anymore, and any little flaw has to be explained away by some kind of medical disorder. Heaven forbid if anyone should have a child that's different in any kind of way.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
As the parent of neurotypical and atypical children, all I can say is ... if you want to think that, okay. I don't know any medicated Stepford children with imaginary disorders, but they must be out there because everybody else seems to know them.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
As the parent of neurotypical and atypical children, all I can say is ... if you want to think that, okay. I don't know any medicated Stepford children with imaginary disorders, but they must be out there because everybody else seems to know them.
Yeah, no kidding. Where are all the zombies? The majority of kids that I know of who are medicated have anxiety disorders. I know of one child with ADHD who is medicated, and that is realistically because his parents haven't tried the diet, regular exercise, changing behaviors route first. Don't know if it would work with him or not, but I would have tried.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:50 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I know there are children with real disorders and children that definitely need medicine. But there are some kids who really don't need to be medicated, who's behavior can be controlled in other ways, but it's the easiest way for the parents. I'm not trying to take away from parents who have weighed all options and medication is the best route for their kids. But is every high energy child ADHD? I don't think so.

Just a few weeks ago my daughter was in the mall play area, running around with other kids. She is very rambunctious, and loves to run, climb, jump, and dance around. I didn't see her behavior as anything out of the ordinary, she wasn't being violent or out of control, but a mom sitting near me asked, "have you had her tested for ADHD? That's how my son used to be before he got on ritalin." I was kind of taken aback, because since when is it not normal for a child to run and play in a play area? That kind of snap judgment is why so many kids are being medicated that really shouldn't be.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I know there are children with real disorders and children that definitely need medicine. But there are some kids who really don't need to be medicated, who's behavior can be controlled in other ways, but it's the easiest way for the parents. I'm not trying to take away from parents who have weighed all options and medication is the best route for their kids. But is every high energy child ADHD? I don't think so.

Just a few weeks ago my daughter was in the mall play area, running around with other kids. She is very rambunctious, and loves to run, climb, jump, and dance around. I didn't see her behavior as anything out of the ordinary, she wasn't being violent or out of control, but a mom sitting near me asked, "have you had her tested for ADHD? That's how my son used to be before he got on ritalin." I was kind of taken aback, because since when is it not normal for a child to run and play in a play area? That kind of snap judgment is why so many kids are being medicated that really shouldn't be.
And also I wonder how many kids climbing on the drapes and furniture and running through the house have too little time outdoors to climb trees and run up and down hills and have enough play outdoors to release their energy.

The schools do want stepford children. And too many parents have some expectation that they will have some perfect child who wants to sit for hours with their hands folded on the desk, listening attentively to the teacher the whole time.

Try sitting in some meeting now as an adult that is boring and goes on for 3 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting