Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 03:13 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times

Advertisements

I was at a tmobile store yesterday trying to figure out why my phone was making me want to pitch it in a lake.
A boy and his parents were looking at phones, well actually the boy was moping around the store because he couldn't find a phone he liked. They were near me and I gave them some advice on phones and which ones to steer clear of. The sales guy brought out the boy a blackberry, WHICH HIS PARENTS WERE WILLING TO PAY FOR, he had to of been about 15 or 14 even. He looked so miserable and didn't even want to look at the phone, any of the phones for that matter, and I kept hearing him say all he wanted was his old phone back.

Shortly before leaving I heard his mom say to the sales guy that any phone that he DID liked was going to get stolen because some kids just go after his things in particular and make a point to steal them from him because they like what he has.

What would you do if other kids made a point to try to steal from your kid just because he/she had nice stuff?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I was at a tmobile store yesterday trying to figure out why my phone was making me want to pitch it in a lake.
A boy and his parents were looking at phones, well actually the boy was moping around the store because he couldn't find a phone he liked. They were near me and I gave them some advice on phones and which ones to steer clear of. The sales guy brought out the boy a blackberry, WHICH HIS PARENTS WERE WILLING TO PAY FOR, he had to of been about 15 or 14 even. He looked so miserable and didn't even want to look at the phone, any of the phones for that matter, and I kept hearing him say all he wanted was his old phone back.

Shortly before leaving I heard his mom say to the sales guy that any phone that he DID liked was going to get stolen because some kids just go after his things in particular and make a point to steal them from him because they like what he has.

What would you do if other kids made a point to try to steal from your kid just because he/she had nice stuff?
How about calling the cops? duh

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-09-2011, 03:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Your thread raises questions.

Why isn't he keeping better track of where his cell phone is located?

Why leave it lay around if he knows people will steal it?

What's he doing hanging out with people who steal from him?

Are kids really stealing his stuff or is he selling his stuff for money?

Seriously.

Sounds to me like it's possible that this teen is spoiled and never learned how to take care of his stuff. Perhaps, if someone stole a bicycle because he carelessly left it out, his parents bought him a new one. Just like with this phone. As a result, maybe he never learned to appreciate his belongings to keep track of them. It can't be too hard to hold onto his stuff unless they are ROBBING from him via physically overpowering him to take his phone from him. If that's happening,the parents have bigger problems that require police invovlement and paying for karate classes for their kid instead of a new phone.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Your thread raises questions.

Why isn't he keeping better track of where his cell phone is located?

Why leave it lay around if he knows people will steal it?

What's he doing hanging out with people who steal from him?

Are kids really stealing his stuff or is he selling his stuff for money?

Seriously.

Sounds to me like it's possible that this teen is spoiled and never learned how to take care of his stuff. Perhaps, if someone stole a bicycle because he carelessly left it out, his parents bought him a new one. Just like with this phone. As a result, maybe he never learned to appreciate his belongings to keep track of them. It can't be too hard to hold onto his stuff unless they are ROBBING from him via physically overpowering him to take his phone from him. If that's happening,the parents have bigger problems that require police invovlement and paying for karate classes for their kid instead of a new phone.
I'm pretty sure it's him being bullied, he was a small kid, smaller than me, maybe about the same height but he was definately skinnier.
My brother is the size of most men and is 16, that boy had to of been NEAR my brothers age and was the size of me.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:51 PM

You're making a lot of assumptions based on minimal information.

Honestly, I can't help but be more focused on WHY you were YET AGAIN in a cell phone store.

Don't answer. It's off topic. And I don't really care why you're not happy with your phone because you're obscession with cell phones is unhealthy.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're making a lot of assumptions based on minimal information.

Honestly, I can't help but be more focused on WHY you were YET AGAIN in a cell phone store.

Don't answer. It's off topic. And I don't really care why you're not happy with your phone because you're obscession with cell phones is unhealthy.
It wasn't working. I was dropping calls yet it would say I had 3G or I would lose all signal, and then nothing would load or my text would not go through, it needed a new sim card and and software update, works better now.
Its got Blackberry OS 6 now, all new operating system!!!! So happy...it was FREE! (spent 2 hours last night updating it)

Old 04-09-2011, 03:58 PM

All I am saying is what I got from what I heard was that someone (dont know who) keeps taking his stuff therefore he doesn't want anything nice because he doesn't want anyone to take it.

For someone to decline a nice cellphone because they are worried people are going to try to steal their stuff is bad.

And yes I was making assumptions because hes a small kid, he was also very quiet, he didn't seem like the kind of kid to stand up for himself in he needed to.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
All I am saying is what I got from what I heard was that someone (dont know who) keeps taking his stuff therefore he doesn't want anything nice because he doesn't want anyone to take it.

For someone to decline a nice cellphone because they are worried people are going to try to steal their stuff is bad.
What I got from it is he wants his old phone back. Not everyone is into having the lastest nice phone.

My son always wants the exact fliptop model he always had. It's difficult to find replacements for old phones.

I can understand why he wouldn't like the newer phones. I hate them.

Quote:
And yes I was making assumptions because hes a small kid, he was also very quiet, he didn't seem like the kind of kid to stand up for himself in he needed to.
He wasn't having a hard time standing up for himself with his parents via all that whining, pouting and refusing to get a new phone. He sounded spoiled to me.

When my son was his age, he would ride his bike to the park to hang out with other kids. He set his ipod down where he was sitting with everyone. Then he left, forgetting to take it with him. Of course, by the time he realized it and went back, someone stole it. Did I run out and buy him a new ipod? Nooooooooooooo. How would he learn how to take better care of his stuff if I replaced everything that was lost or stolen? Oh, and btw, my son would initially claim someone stole it before he admitted that he carelessly left it at the park.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,577 times
Quote:

My oldest has an iPhone, my 13 year old has an LG Cosmos Touch (I believe that's what it's called- it's a pretty nice phone) and an iPod touch, and my 11 year old also has an iPod touch. Nothing has ever been stolen. Sounds like this kid is just lazy and irresponsible for his items.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:29 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I think some kids are just more prone to worrying about that kind of thing. My youngest worries that things are going to be stolen from her. Sometimes she hides her belongings before we leave the house so no one will take them if they break in. (Like a thief would go for My Little Pony before the flat panel and the blu ray). Nothing's ever been taken from her. She's never even lost anything. It's just in her personality to worry. She's been like that ever since she was able to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting