Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 12,592 times

Advertisements

My daughter is not sure how to handle her almost 8 year old who seems to be overly sexual for his age. His curiosity seems to be over the top. I never had these problems because my kids watched the Discovery channel and that seemed to suffice. He has been told that it is inappropriate to look or touch a person's private. Now he is constantly saying things like "is it okay to look at a girls legs? He says he just likes too. He seems obsessed about it. Anyone have any ideas as to how handle this. He has been told the facts of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 05:20 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,400 times
Expand the facts!

Your grandson is noticing girls at a young age. My son is 9 but has an interest for girls the way my 15 year old does! It is hard to accept that puberty is right around the corner but it's coming. I know my 9 year old is experimenting with his body and comes down from his room flushed faced.

I just make sure I discuss any appropriate/inappropriate actions he may do. I let him know that he can talk to me about anything that is confusing him in regards to his sexuality.

Boys will be boys!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:26 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiHowie View Post
My daughter is not sure how to handle her almost 8 year old who seems to be overly sexual for his age. His curiosity seems to be over the top. I never had these problems because my kids watched the Discovery channel and that seemed to suffice. He has been told that it is inappropriate to look or touch a person's private. Now he is constantly saying things like "is it okay to look at a girls legs? He says he just likes too. He seems obsessed about it. Anyone have any ideas as to how handle this. He has been told the facts of life.
It's normal for kids to start thinking about sex from a very young age. If he asks you questions such as this, I would suggest answering him as honestly as possible. "It is okay to notice a girls legs, but not to stare at them." Your son is asking you what is appropriate and what is not. He is learning about boundaries and how to deal with an natural curiousity about the opposite sex.

greenie

Old 08-14-2007, 07:07 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
If something has been made a no-no, such as looking at a girl's legs, then the next question is "why not?" even when there is no sexual interest. that's normal curiousity.

A lot depends on whether or not he is around girls, sisters, cousins, etc. If he grew up with girls, he is not as apt to be as curious as to why he mustn't touch or look. Curiousity about anything, not just the opposite sex, is a powerful drive in some people.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:49 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiHowie View Post
This might be advice that's too extreme for the situation (you would be the better judge than I), but precocious sexuality or extreme interest in sexuality can sometimes be a red flag for abuse.

Just a thought. He might just be an interested, definitely hetero kid.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:46 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
You say that: "he has been told that it is inappropriate to look or touch a person's private". He is not 8 yet. Only seven. So how old was he when told these things? And why was he told this while he is 7 or maybe younger? Did he do or say something that led to a discussion about 'a person's private'?

Kids are curious. If answered honestly with short explanations, that is usually enough. Sometimes, as adults, we tend to think that we have to give long, drawn out answers to every single inquiry that we receive. You also say that he has been told 'the facts of life'. At what age? I personally believe that we sometimes are far to open with very young children than we need to be.

And then the question comes to mind: "How detailed were 'the facts of life'?" Again, a little can go a long way. By telling a very young child too much, too soon, you may open the door to this type of situation. The child already may know so much that he/she will want to know more. It can be the 'forbidden fruit' situation in his case.

I would answer his questions quickly and honestly without making him feel guilty about asking. Keep it very lighthearted and don't dwell on it.

Good luck and encourage this youngsters curiosity to go in other directions. Give him something more challenging to think about and soon.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:47 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,777 times
Sounds like my kind of kid! He'll be working his way around the bases in no time! Barry who?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting