Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Great advice. This brings to mind a Judge show I was watching several years ago where the mother had named her infant daughter, Serenity, really?- Serenity?!!! -beyond the immediate imagery of adult diapers, I could only imagine this girl during her screaming infant and toddler years, through her obstinate and drama filled teen age years, and struggling trying to make her way in the world never being taken seriously and finally justifiably murdering her mother for completely making her a laughing stock for her entire life, and then changing her name.
That is my neice's name....I cannot stand it because their family is anything BUT serene, and the baby, well, she's a pill.

I suppose it's better than what they WANTED to name her:
Porsche
Jasmine
Mercedes
Summer.

Why not just buy her a pole now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:01 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
That is my neice's name....I cannot stand it because their family is anything BUT serene, and the baby, well, she's a pill.

I suppose it's better than what they WANTED to name her:
Porsche
Jasmine
Mercedes
Summer.

Why not just buy her a pole now?
LOL- Destiny is another one of those names that have me thinking "uh, perfect stripper name!"...

I don't know if any of you are Toddlers and Tiaras watchers but there was a little girl on a few weeks ago who's name was Serenity... but it was spelt "Saryiniti". Grr... I know I shouldn't care, but made up spellings of names annoy me to no end.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Similarly--look what happened with Chastity Bono.
Yeah, that was asking for trouble- hence, introducing... Chaz!

I like having a very uncommon name- even though it is simple, 3 letters long, kind of historical in nature. Never ever will I find my name on those mini license plates haha.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:11 AM

21 posts, read 24,186 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I wasn't sure, hence the post... see if anyone thought different. Nice to know most people seem to agree lol. My ex doesn't like conventional names and her middle name will be a choice of Deborah, Michelle or Pauline (some choice, huh?) after my Mum or Grandma (my ex already has two kids, this one is my first). Michelle is the favourite as a Michelle plays a heavy role in my ex's other kids' lives and will likely do so in my child's life too. I like the Neve/Neva idea though. Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:01 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
My rule of thumb is that, if your kid cannot go into a Cracker Barrel five years from now and find his/her name (same spelling) on a pencil, then you have done your kid a disservice. I would take some time and think it through. Natalie would be nice. Best of luck to you & congratulations!
So... a typical white, middle class name? Those displays don't honor the diversity of our nation at all. I like lovely unique names... I do not think any of the names the OP suggested were lovely! Except Evelyn - and with the middle names suggested, Evelyn Michelle is very pretty. Though it might be too conventional for the mom!

Just to clarify - I don't think there's anything wrong at all with typical white, middle-class names; both my boys have them! Just pointing out those pencils don't seem to recognize that folks of all ethnicities and nationalities live here. I would not limit myself to that display - what a boring world if we had only those names in our lives!

Last edited by CharlotteGal; 07-09-2011 at 06:29 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 07:25 AM

992 posts, read 2,373,405 times
My children all have somewhat mainstream names, but we can NEVER find their names on pencils....

There are apparently no:
Colin
Charlotte
Catherine
Evangeline

Anymore. At least around here it's
Bailey Hailey Kaylee
Braeden Jaden Aiden Hayden Caden
(all of the above names were in my daughter's class this year)

It's Colton, Cole, Braxton, Devin, Caleb, Madison, Ava, Addison, Peyton around here. The names once thought unique are indeed mainstream.

My rule of thumb is: these kids are going to grow up someday, so we chose names that would carry them into adulthood.

When we chose the name Charlotte, someone said to me, "that sounds like and old lady name" and to that I said, "She will be one someday". She's not going to wear glitter shirts emblazzened with "Haillieeeeee" the rest of her life. And , God help me if I ever did that.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^The names you see in TX are similar to what we see here in CO:

The "Aiden" series as I call it:

Aiden (Aidan), Brayden (various spellings), Caden (ditto), Grayden, Hayden, Jaden, Kaden

Payton, Peyton are also part of this series, maybe Bryson and Grayson as well.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:30 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
So... a typical white, middle class name? Those displays don't honor the diversity of our nation at all. I like lovely unique names... I do not think any of the names the OP suggested were lovely! Except Evelyn - and with the middle names suggested, Evelyn Michelle is very pretty. Though it might be too conventional for the mom!

Just to clarify - I don't think there's anything wrong at all with typical white, middle-class names; both my boys have them! Just pointing out those pencils don't seem to recognize that folks of all ethnicities and nationalities live here. I would not limit myself to that display - what a boring world if we had only those names in our lives!
Thank you! I had the same type of reaction from some people for naming my daughter an African name. We are African American, and I have a very Caucasian sounding name. I've had the looks of surprise when I walk in a job interview or someplace where I'm meeting someone in person after talking on the phone...that look of "but you're not who I thought you were going to be!" I've always hated it.

I had a friend tell me by naming my child an African name, I would be doing her a disservice because when someone saw her name on a resume or job application, they would skip right over it. I reasoned that even if I named her Sarah or Heather or whatever, she would have to show her black face at the interview, and if that would be the reason she would be chosen or not chosen for a job, that it's not a place she would want to be anyway. I did make sure to choose one that was pronouncable, easy to spell, and had a nice meaning. I love that each African name has a meaning, and I love her having a name that reflects her heritage.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post

Most of these names you see on pencils, license plates, etc, simply reflect the popular names of the day. You used to see a lot of "Linda", but most of us are now old ladies, so you don't see it so much any more. My daughters have ethnic names, one Swedish, one German, yet names somewhat commonly used in the US. You don't see those on pencils, either.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 AM

235 posts, read 837,461 times
I vote for Neve (or for Neville as a middle name).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting