Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times

Advertisements

It's amazing to me that "tanning" remains such a popular activity knowing the high risk.

Skin Cancer Among Young Adults Is on Rise; Tanning Linked | Healthland | TIME.com

Quote:
Mayo Clinic researchers report skyrocketing rates of skin cancer among young adults, probably because of their persistent use of tanning beds.

Published in the April issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, the study reports that between the years 1970 and 2009, the incidence of melanoma increased eightfold among young women and fourfold among young men ages 18 to 39. Although men generally have a higher lifetime risk of melanoma than women, the researchers found the opposite trend to be true among the young adults. “We knew we would see an increase in rates among young women, but we were surprised we saw such a dramatic increase. This seems to be higher than what has been reported previously,” said Mayo Clinic dermatologist Dr. Jerry Brewer in a teleconference.
Skin Cancer News | Mayo Clinic News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:53 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
I am not telling anyone not do go to a tanning booth.

But, I went to a tanning booth 3 times a week for over 11 years. I sun bathed at the beach all weekend long, from morning till dawn, I use baby oil and iodine, I was always tan, winter summer spring and fall, I was completely Tan.

Then I had developed a crusty thing which I thought was a pimple on my shoulder, since my skin was prone to that, long story short it was skin cancer.
I have had 3 other surgeryrs on my chest and shoulders already.

i can go in the regular sun with sun screen on, but 30. I can never go to a tanning booth as long as I live.

this was horifing, i am still not over being tan all the time.

but either be white and live, or tan and die.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,434 times
What is more amazing are the parents who still tan! I cannot believe that there are people my age ( mid 40's) who go to tanning booths!
I did it as a teen, before proms or going on Spring Break, I also sunbathed using notbing but baby oil and put sun-in in my hair, but I grew up and learned just how dangerous it all is.

I think they should just make tanning illegal and shut all of the places down, personally.....

Old 04-02-2012, 05:12 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,589 times
I've heard sunburns during childhood contribute more to skin cancer than anything else (though no extended UV exposure at any age is safe). My dad had a melanoma removed from his back in his 50s from normal sun exposure, working in the yard or on his boat. It takes all kinds, not just people who frequent tanning beds.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Even a single sunburn increases your risk of developing melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer; suffering five or more sunburns doubles your lifetime risk. Just one severe burn in childhood doubles the chances of developing melanoma later in life. Remember, sunburns can be dangerous for babies and toddlers, possibly leading to dehydration and heat stroke.

People who use tanning beds are 2.5 times more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) and 1.5 times more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma (BCC). Even occasional sunbed use almost triples your chances of developing melanoma. Young people - including teenagers - are especially sensitive to the UVR emitted from tanning booths.
Preventing Skin Cancer - SkinCancer.org

Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
People always tell me that I need to go out in the sun more because I'm too pale. I just tell them that I'm perfectly happy trying to not get skin cancer thank you very much. This is my natural color, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:36 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,471 times
I know that my kids will never use tanning booths. I had Melanoma two years ago and my kids saw everything and went through everything with me. Not that I'm pleased that my kids got frightened, but it means they are very sun cautious now.

I cannot understand why smoking (a known cancer-causing activity) is regulated by age and there is so much invested in anti-smoking ads, etc...but tanning beds (a known cancer-causing activity) is not given much thought.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:49 PM

My neighbors have a tanning bed, and the whole family uses it.

I do not tan, never have, and never will. I have very fair skin, and I burn very easily. Add to that I had many, many bad burns as a child. I am the one on the beach with the big hat sitting under the umbrella. I really don't care what anyone thinks of my skin tone, I have massive skin damage, and am hanging on to the skin integrity I have left.

Thankfully my children have way more melanin than I do, but I am still very cautious with their skin care.

I'm amazed how few people wear hats any more, particularly kids.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My neighbors have a tanning bed, and the whole family uses it.

I do not tan, never have, and never will. I have very fair skin, and I burn very easily. Add to that I had many, many bad burns as a child. I am the one on the beach with the big hat sitting under the umbrella. I really don't care what anyone thinks of my skin tone, I have massive skin damage, and am hanging on to the skin integrity I have left.

Thankfully my children have way more melanin than I do, but I am still very cautious with their skin care.

I'm amazed how few people wear hats any more, particularly kids.
Hehe. I wear those big hats when it's sunny out. My husband calls them my Dr. Quinn hats. I'm also one who burns easily. It's not fun, and I do get tired of people (especially family) telling me I need to be darker.

However, we always make sure my niece has sunblock on and have done so since she was a baby. She is darker than I am, but we live in a very sunny area. One time she asked my mom, "Why do I have to wear sunblock if you don't?" My mom is one of those who still refuses to wear it.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,663 times
No more sun for me,i loved sunbathing in my youth now i'm paying for it,3 squamous carcinomas taken off the face 3 on my arms, they just looked like a small red spot. The last one taken from my forehead needed 11 stitches and it was no bigger than a pin prick. Take heed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting