Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Reminds me of those Westboro church fanatic nuts that protest soldiers funerals and spew anti gay rhetoric at every opportunity. I watched a documentary about that family, and was struck with how they brainwash their kids starting from birth. Instead of nursery rhymes and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, they teach them songs like this, and worse. Their little children even participate in their protests, which get violent, hateful, and ugly. When the interviewer asked the children a question, they would spout off all this nasty, hateful monologue that had obviously been drilled into their heads. I felt sorry for them, and this little boy as well. They aren't taught to think for themselves, aren't allowed to have their own thoughts and feelings. Either he'll grow up to be a brainwashed robot, or hopefully, rebel and go completely opposite of what he's being taught.
One of Fred Phelp's sons, Nate, did reject the church and its teaching. He spoke at the Reason Rally

Q&A: Notorious pastor's atheist son speaks out at Reason Rally - latimes.com

Quote:
Nate Phelps is one of 13 children of Fred Phelps. A professed atheist, he is among four of Phelps’ children who have defected from the church. When Nate Phelps, who has not had contact with much of his family for decades, learned that the church planned to picket the Reason Rally, he decided to counter the protest by speaking out at the event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:33 PM

400 posts, read 566,507 times
Nope I don't like this one bit. The carefully taught video was great though. Is it from an entire musical?

Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Oh please, you guys need to get over it. The Bible does say homosexuals don't go to Heaven. You can deny this all you want but it's the truth.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:40 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Oh please, you guys need to get over it. The Bible does say homosexuals don't go to Heaven. You can deny this all you want but it's the truth.
1) I have no respect for those who cherry-pick from the Bible.

2) Where in the Bible does it encourage parents to teach their children to hate?

3) If these sins will be dealt with after death, what business is it of yours?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

2) Where in the Bible does it encourage parents to teach their children to hate?

^^completly agree. Having it in the Bible is one thing, teaching your 4 year old this song and having them sing it in church it another. No where does it say to teach your children to hate.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:23 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
One of Fred Phelp's sons, Nate, did reject the church and its teaching. He spoke at the Reason Rally

There's also the Prussian Blue twins who were raised to sing about white power...they rejected most of their parents' teachings as well.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

THANK you! People with extreme views like this always seem to nitpick through the Bible, only focusing on the parts that support their lunacy. I guarantee you for just about everything declared to be a sin punishable by death in the Bible, there's another verse expressing forgiveness, tolerance, and love. It just depends what you WANT to believe, and hateful people want to believe hateful things.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:42 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Interesting to hear a bit about how those kids were raised. It doesn't surprise me that abuse played a part in their upbringing. I did see an interview from a girl who was a member, and for whatever reason she was kicked out. Her parents don't talk to her and want nothing to do with her. Although she didn't agree with their beliefs anymore, she seemed to love and miss her family, which I thought was sad.

That family is insane. They fascinate me with their craziness. It's sad to see the little kids caught up in that madness, but I find the adults to be rather funny with their zealous rambling nonsense. There's one guy who likes to go to their pickets and interview them, but he's really making fun of them. It cracks me up seeing them fumble through responses. I'll have to see if I can find the link.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:47 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I really wish people who are so inclined would worry a little more about their own eternal souls, instead of worrying about those of others. I didn't hear anything in that hymn about how someone in the congregation should live in a Christian manner, just a lot of hatefulness and judgment about other people.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
It's also worth pointing out this song has historically been sung as a racist anthem from time to time, the word "homo" replacing the "n" word.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 05-31-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting