Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,430,512 times

Advertisements

Over the past several weeks we have started to weed out processed food and our the majority of our food from local farmers. It has been great seeing our food bill go down while our health goes up. The food quality from our local farmers and farmers market is so much better and we get a lot more for our money compared to what we were getting at our local grocery stores.

We are starting to make things from scratch that my son misses such as pop tarts to show him that he can still have foods he loves, in moderation, and in a much more healthier way. He LOVES going to the farmer's and learning about their lives and is really into eating more healthier too.

Anyway, I found a few places that are licensed to sell raw milk. I wanted to try to make my own butter- husband said it can't be beat when it is made from milk right from the cow. Since we will be looking into buying cream at the dairy, was going to try some raw milk.

I know there is controversy about raw milk- which I don't understand. It is in its most natural form when straight from the cow and way back when, milk wasn't always pasteurized like it is today. What I am wondering though, since my young son has only had pasteurized milk (me as well, but not worried about me), will making a 100% switch over cause any stomach issues? Should we do it half and half for awhile at first? Does it really need to be cultured with a tablespoon of store bought buttermilk first and fermented before allowing him to drink it like I have heard some people say elsewhere?

Thank you for any tips if you have made the switch for you and your family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,140,060 times
my family switched to pasturizing thier own milk when I came down with polio!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,224,756 times
Having worked at a place that treated kids who developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, which causes blood vessels to break up, become meshed with blood platelets and then damage filters in the kidneys, ALL because of raw milk, NO thanks. Horrible, awful stories and I got to see those kids WITH MY OWN EYES -- they were terribly sick and the parents were beside themselves with guilt. You could not pay me to roll those dice.

Read more: Children's illness stirs debate on raw milk - The Denver Post Children's illness stirs debate on raw milk - The Denver Post

Raw Milk Misconceptions and the Danger of Raw Milk Consumption

Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 AM

Did you read the article you linked to? The farmer wasn't practicing and adhering to sanitary conditions and handling of the milk. Umm, don't you think that is the reason people got sick? Sorry, that doesn't convince me. I don't believe everything put out by the FDA, who has no issue with high fructose corn syrup being in all of our foods (a major reason why we started eating from farms in the first place) and I am going to college to become a Registered Dietitian where so many people in the field claim the FDA as gods...not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Having worked at a place that treated kids who developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, which causes blood vessels to break up, become meshed with blood platelets and then damage filters in the kidneys, ALL because of raw milk, NO thanks. Horrible, awful stories and I got to see those kids WITH MY OWN EYES -- they were terribly sick and the parents were beside themselves with guilt. You could not pay me to roll those dice.

Read more: Children's illness stirs debate on raw milk - The Denver Post Children's illness stirs debate on raw milk - The Denver Post

Raw Milk Misconceptions and the Danger of Raw Milk Consumption

Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,767,081 times
No. And I would not do it. Have you done all your research and talked to your doctor? The controversy is due to the health risks involved. I tend to trust Marion Nestle on all matters related to food safety, and here's her take:

Food Politics » The raw milk fights: economics, ideology, or both?

The bit about kids, specifically:
"The risk may be small, but it is finite. Putting a child at risk of hemolytic uremic syndrome from toxic E. coli just doesn’t make sense to me."

We buy local organic pasteurized milk.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Yes, I have talked to my doctor and yes I have done my research. Thanks

Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,584,628 times
It sounds like you have already made up your mind, but this is a HUGE risk. Why specifically are you against pasteurization, a practice in place globally since the early 1800's?

I know you have reservations about the CDC, but they are the greatest repository of reports of foodborne illness, that's just a fact. And the FDA has controls in place to ensure reduced incidence of foodborne illness, another fact.

One of the major contributing factors to eradicating Tuberculosis in the US was the widespread pasteurization of milk.

My family owned a dairy going back multiple generations, and even in the mid-1800's on a different continent they boiled the milk before consuming it.

Raw milk more likely to cause illness outbreak, CDC study finds - USATODAY.com

Lastly, this is the field my DH works in, he always states it's safer to eat raw beef than to drink raw milk.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,748,747 times
If I had my own cows, maybe. Other people's cows, heck no. Pasteurization was invented for a reason.

Also, I'm moving this to the Food forum, because it's not really a Parenting topic.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,584,628 times
Another very important point, if it is the nutrients in milk that you are seeking, then look for smaller dairies that utilize alternative pasteurization techniques. There are many different techniques. Organic milk and raw milk are not one in the same.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,823,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Did you read the article you linked to? The farmer wasn't practicing and adhering to sanitary conditions and handling of the milk. Umm, don't you think that is the reason people got sick? Sorry, that doesn't convince me. I don't believe everything put out by the FDA, who has no issue with high fructose corn syrup being in all of our foods (a major reason why we started eating from farms in the first place) and I am going to college to become a Registered Dietitian where so many people in the field claim the FDA as gods...not me
Unless you own and milk the cow yourself, you have no way of knowing whether or not the milk you're getting on the farm, is going to make your child sick. That's WHY those kids got sick. Their parents got the milk from what they believed were safe places. They turned out to not be safe, afterall. Just because a dairy says "we're safe, we guarantee it or your money back!" doesn't mean it's safe. Personally I wouldn't risk my -own- life, let alone a child's life, on something that is -known- to have such serious risks involved. If I wanted raw milk badly enough, I'd buy a cow and milk it.

Since I'm not a big milk drinker anyway, the reward isn't worth the risk at all, to me. I prefer cheese, and cheese is already processed (with bacteria or rennet) so the risk of contamination is miniscule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting