Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times

Advertisements

The farm we are going to buy from is 100% organic- only grass fed cows, no corn or hay & silage. No chemicals used in the fields and cows are hormone free. They are licensed to sell raw milk and you are free to come and visit the farm and tour the whole property any time you wish
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
I grew up on raw milk, fresh from the cow to the barn cooler, to the pitcher of it on the table.The best stuff on earth!
Nothing like homemade ice cream or hot chocolate with "the skin on the top."

We just had farm fresh ice cream this afternoon which I love. It was my son's first taste and he has decided he doesn't like any other kind now

When I got married and moved to "suburbia", I had to buy store bought, and it took quite awhile to get used to it. (Just like store bought eggs.) I was a healthy kid and am a healthy adult.

But let me note: We fed the cows nothing but made from the earth back then. (mid 50's-mid 70's).
With all this hormone and other stuff, who knows.
If you know the source and it's all natural, go for it. Otherwise I'd be suspect, because even our corn now is tampered with with hormones and our grains are hybridized and patented and such. I wonder if anything is truly natural anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
The farm we are going to buy from is 100% organic- only grass fed cows, no corn or hay & silage. No chemicals used in the fields and cows are hormone free. They are licensed to sell raw milk and you are free to come and visit the farm and tour the whole property any time you wish
Ok then go and buy the raw milk and see what you think.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
You don't know the people who are currently processing your milk now. Trust me- I worked in quality control. I would rather go to my local farmer who owns a very small farm and is licensed
Local small dairies can pasteurize their milk. Ours does.

They don't have to sell it raw (which is fairly irresponsible, not to mention not even legal everywhere) just because they are a small operation, or because they are convinced that there is a market that finds such things trendy.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 PM

Got it. Not everyone wants raw milk. Glad it is available for those that want it however. Thank goodness for freedom of choice

Old 07-11-2012, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I am not quite sure why you posted the question when you have obviously made up your mind. If you are convinced this is the best for your children and your doctor totally agrees with you, that should be the end of it. For me, I would never take a chance..Going almost 100% organic is one thing, but there is a reason we depend on pasturization. There is a pretty good chance your children will do just fine on raw milk, but there is a better change they will be just fine drinking milk that has been processed. Why would you take that chance? Again, if your doctor has no problems and your research varified the benefits of raw milk, I don't think the views of those of us here should make any difference.
Nita

Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 AM

I posted the question originally in the Parenting forum as I wanted to ask parents of those who switched a few questions about when they transferred their family over. However, my topic was moved to this forum. I did not post this topic to debate whether people think raw milk is safe or not

Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I posted the question originally in the Parenting forum as I wanted to ask parents of those who switched a few questions about when they transferred their family over. However, my topic was moved to this forum. I did not post this topic to debate whether people think raw milk is safe or not
ok, that does explain it. I am a little perplexed about one other thing: you said in you OP you were so pleased to see the food bill go down and health improve but you also said you have been going organic for a few weeks, I am amazed you have seen a difference in your overall health so quickly and more surprised to hear your food bill has gone down. For those of us who do try and stay organic and shop, during the summer at Famers markets our biggest complaint is the overall cost. I know we pay more, even when we pick our own, that is one reason we rarely do our own picking anymore. I love to get out in the fields, it is healthy and certainly fresh from the farm beats anyhing we get at WalMart but price wise, I understand the local farmer, if he is growing organic, can not begin to sell for the same price the super markets can...I only wish this wasn't the case.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Go ahead and ask. Surely anybody who drinks raw milk can answer ... you've already gotten several opinions from parents who gave their children raw milk.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 AM

Our food cost has gone down because we don't go to the grocery store anymore so we aren't picking up processed stuff that we would normally buy- cookies, cakes, mac & cheese, microwavable meals- the stuff in the center aisles. We make those now. We have saved a lot of money by making foods from scratch and whole unprocessed foods keep you filled longer so no need to eat so much. We also aren't in the grocery store picking up things we initally didn't go in their to buy in the first place.

I am hypothyroid. In the past several weeks my hair is finally not falling out so much and my skin is not rough on elbows and ankles. I have had both issues for YEARS. We made the switch to all food from chemical free produce around April-Mayish and then started getting all clean meat in May. Yes, I know it hasn't been long, but really- my skin is making slight improvements and so is the texture of my hair. Although it is still falling out, it isn't coming out in clumps like it was. May be improvement in food- may not- but food is only change I have made.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If I had my own cows, maybe. Other people's cows, heck no. Pasteurization was invented for a reason.

Also, I'm moving this to the Food forum, because it's not really a Parenting topic.
Just saw this thread today. There is a risk, even from your own cows. My uncle has severe scars on his neck from abcesses contracted from contaminated milk on the family farm, probably caused by listeria.

I am posting the CDC page on raw milk. I've only read the first 30 posts, so if this is repititious, I apologize.

CDC - Raw Milk Questions and Answers - Food Safety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting