Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, we can tell who's never lived near a major amusement park.
Are you kidding? I live in south Florida and we have guests from December to February every year.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Are you kidding? I live in south Florida and we have guests from December to February every year.

Only three months? I lived in So Cal where people come 12 months of the year.

Lol, if we had said 'yes' to half the people who asked to use our house as home base I'd have had to put them down on the Census as residents. Don't get me started on out-of-towners being afraid of the freeways and expecting to be driven everywhere. I was not running a free taxi service for Cousin Helen and her three kids who had just thrown up their churros on Space Mountain.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

Only three months? I lived in So Cal where people come 12 months of the year.

Lol, if we had said 'yes' to half the people who asked to use our house as home base I'd have had to put them down on the Census as residents. Don't get me started on out-of-towners being afraid of the freeways and expecting to be driven everywhere. I was not running a free taxi service for Cousin Helen and her three kids who had just barfed up their churros on Space Mountain.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 AM

485 posts, read 1,012,065 times
I talked to my BFF about this. She said parents should not expect that the behavior their children exhibit at home will be tolerated in other people's homes. For example, the no bedtimes, wild behavior, etc.

The more I stew about this the angrier I get at these inconsiderate jerks and the totality of their rude behavior.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Default Don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
I talked to my BFF about this. She said parents should not expect that the behavior their children exhibit at home will be tolerated in other people's homes. For example, the no bedtimes, wild behavior, etc.

The more I stew about this the angrier I get at these inconsiderate jerks and the totality of their rude behavior.
Have them back--stewing about it is only hurting you, causes stress hormones --can hurt your heart, as well as other parts of your body.

Let it go.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 AM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post

Well, they're gone. There is that.

You no longer have to put up with them and their antics but they have to live with each other for a long, long time. At least it's over for you. So celebrate this evening! Pour yourself a glass of wine, prop up your feet, turn on the t.v. and watch it in blessed peace.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Try not to think about it anymore. It's over and done with.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:07 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
We have a couple friends with two kids that literally give us both a headache when they come over, with all their running around, yelling, getting into stuff. And we're just talking about an hour or two worth of a visit. We would never even think of inviting them to stay one night, much less over a week. We'd literally think of any and every excuse imaginable for them not to come over.

Other than being really neglectful parents (mostly in terms of discipline), they're good people. We don't mind having them as friends, but we do mind having them as visitors!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:50 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Try not to think about it anymore. It's over and done with.
Agree. It's probably not a good idea for them to stay with you again. Your lifestyles and expectations are too different. They would probably be surprised to find out that the things they did (or didn't do) bothered you.

Or maybe if they come again, they should only stay overnight or 2 nights at the most. You should set certain limits, such as "no using the computer, no running in the house, no slamming doors" at the onset if certain things bother you. Not in a harsh way, just establish some basic rules.

Seven loads of laundry? Come on, how much did that cost you? I think the issue is more that their lifestyle, having so many kids, activity, etc., was disruptive to yours. There's nothing wrong with that, just recognize it and deal with it. But don't ruminate about it. They weren't trying to take advantage.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Don't get me started on out-of-towners being afraid of the freeways and expecting to be driven everywhere.
This sounds like the irrational fear of I-95 exhibited by many folks. It made me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting