Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Do I really have to go into how not great the "greatest generation" is / was?!
Only if you feel compelled to tell everyone why you're not impressed with anyone.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 PM

31 posts, read 86,255 times
Quote:
Do I really have to go into how not great the "greatest generation" is / was?!
Please do.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 PM

51 posts, read 101,178 times
I'm no prude,but I think you can put the blame squarely on the media,the movie industry,Television,and probably video games...and those that control it.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
What generation has been better than all the rest????
I think we've all brought something to the table, each come up with something or bettered something else.

We've gone from sword fights to killing the enemy from 100,000 miles away with the press of a button...
We've gone from sending carrier pidgeons to texting.
(Both are run by bird brains who give you a lot of crap lol)

Pretty sure every generation has done something.

I'm pretty damn happy I don't live in a Puritan prude world, every gestation has challenged the one before it and broken out of these old oppressive ways.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunwilt View Post
I'm no prude,but I think you can put the blame squarely on the media,the movie industry,Television,and probably video games...and those that control it.
Uh no but thanks for playing.

You can put the blame solely on parents for not paying better attention what they are exposed to.
Am I as an adult not allowed to have my own entertainment?

Lets use the hangover for example, that movie to me is awesome and funny, it's pretty stupid, I know that's not how life works but its hilarious to watch the fat bearded dude get them into shenanigans.

Is that movie for an 11 year old? Hell no but it's not the industries fault if little Johnny's parents are too busy downing wine at a function to pay attention to him and let him watch what he pleases on tv.

Sounds like you think anything in appropriate for children shouldn't even be available for anyone.
Sorry but I'm not about to watch children's shows and music, I'm an adult, adults are adults and have their own entertainment for them.

Ill take farcry 3 over interactive caillou games on spouts website...

Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Why don't you blame the parents? Stars don't control what our kids watch or listen too. Parents need to be more of a parent. Give structure and interact.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7of9 View Post
Please do.

There is no greatest generation. And Tom Brokaw is certainly not the arbiter of which generation is the greatest.

Why the "Greatest Generation" was not so great:

- They allowed a massive buildup of government waste that has created an un-payable debt, screwing future generations (as we continue to do today).

- Japanese internment camps

- Segregated drinking fountains anyone?

- Rape victims were blamed and shamed (still goes on today, went on long before the greatest gen.)

- Going to the moon was a stunt connected with the greatest arms race in history, resulting in the stockpiling of nuclear weapons which could destroy our planet and the human race.

- Ingrained culture of discrimination against gays, women, and minorities.

- Acceptance of domestic violence.

- They polluted our air, water, and land, clear-cut rainforests, and generally "paved paradise and put up a parking lot".

- They raised the baby boomers.

I could go on and on and on and on, but there's no point because there is no greatest generation and we all know that.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Why don't you blame the parents? Stars don't control what our kids watch or listen too. Parents need to be more of a parent. Give structure and interact.
Thank you.
I hate this societies mentality. "I don't like or agree with something so let me make it not allowed for anyone."

What's worse is all these traditional old school people repressing society and those who don't want to live in the past by old laws and ways of thinking.

If you don't like something then don't look listen or use it, simply go on about your life and let others who like it use it. Just because some people don't like some thing doesn't mean we all need to suffer.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Thank you.
I hate this societies mentality. "I don't like or agree with something so let me make it not allowed for anyone."

What's worse is all these traditional old school people repressing society and those who don't want to live in the past by old laws and ways of thinking.

If you don't like something then don't look listen or use it, simply go on about your life and let others who like it use it. Just because some people don't like some thing doesn't mean we all need to suffer.
The problem is that smut and filth are becoming literally unavoidable. It is so mainstream that there is no way to escape it. You have a right to immerse yourself in garbage, but if I do not wish to be exposed I should also have that right. Today, one would have to completely isolate their family from society to protect their children from harmful cultural messages.

Checkout lines, doctor's office waiting rooms, public roads and highways, and family restaurants should be safe zones where one can reasonably expect to relax without fear of a sexual image popping up. But the checkout line is a gauntlet of smut, the t.v.s in restaurants, gyms, and waiting rooms, even if set on appropriate shows can still air wildly inappropriate commercials, and billboards for sex shops and strip clubs line the highways! You can have your cultural rot - but keep it out of my face!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
The problem is that smut and filth are becoming literally unavoidable. It is so mainstream that there is no way to escape it. You have a right to immerse yourself in garbage, but if I do not wish to be exposed I should also have that right. Today, one would have to completely isolate their family from society to protect their children from harmful cultural messages.

Checkout lines, doctor's office waiting rooms, public roads and highways, and family restaurants should be safe zones where one can reasonably expect to relax without fear of a sexual image popping up. But the checkout line is a gauntlet of smut, the t.v.s in restaurants, gyms, and waiting rooms, even if set on appropriate shows can still air wildly inappropriate commercials, and billboards for sex shops and strip clubs line the highways! You can have your cultural rot - but keep it out of my face!
People like you have such an issue with that stuff that you actively seek it out to complain about it being somewhere.

I just drove from denver to Nashville, before I left my mom was going on and on Bout how in Missouri they have nothing but billboards advertising sex shops and fireworks.....

I was too busy taking stupid pictures with my boyfriend and sleeping to notice one of those billboards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting