Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times

Advertisements

Pet peeve day for me, I guess. Couple things came up at work, and this was one of them...

A gal I work with said the title as she was telling us that her step-grandson and his girlfriend are going to have a baby. She kind of went on and on about how young she is and how she doesn't know anyone else who is a great grandma that young and how are people going to take that and what will people think and she's too young to be a great gramma and she's too young to be a great gramma and on and on and on...

Her husband is 14 years older than she is. He already had teenage children when they met. She is only 6 years older than his oldest child. Don't wear it as a badge of honor (or something to get sympathy over) if you married into it. If it was her biological child making her a great grandma...I could see whining, but it's not.

Petty, I know...I was feeling petty today .

When it gets brought back up tomorrow (and I know it will), I am tempted to just tell her "Yes, you are too young to be a great grandma" and leave it at that .

Last edited by Sabinerose; 06-04-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
I once told a co-worker that she's not the kid's grandma, anyway. You're only great-grandma by marriage. And she was much younger, than her husband, too. Didn't go over well. LOL

Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
I didn't actually come right out and say that...lol . I may if I have to listen to this for the next umpteen months.

The title didn't correct when I edited . It's supposed to say "too YOUNG".

Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I didn't actually come right out and say that...lol . I may if I have to listen to this for the next umpteen months.
Yeah, it was upmteen months before I finally had to break down and say it.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:49 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I once told a co-worker that she's not the kid's grandma, anyway. You're only great-grandma by marriage. And she was much younger, than her husband, too. Didn't go over well. LOL
If the person was a jerk about it, that's exactly what I would say "You're only a great-grandma by marriage".

Or maybe "You don't look too young to be a great-grandma." if she was a real jerk about it and went on and on about it.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
PPPPPPfffffffffftttttttttt............some people.

I like steelstress and germain's responses. That should shut her up in now time and at the very least send her running as fast as she can to the nearest plastic surgeon for botox.......

Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Ah, she's just postulating...probably figures people will think the child really IS her grandchild, and then think...wow, what a young looking, great grandma, she sure keeps herself well...

Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Pet peeve day for me, I guess. Couple things came up at work, and this was one of them...

A gal I work with said the title as she was telling us that her step-grandson and his girlfriend are going to have a baby. She kind of went on and on about how young she is and how she doesn't know anyone else who is a great grandma that young and how are people going to take that and what will people think and she's too young to be a great gramma and she's too young to be a great gramma and on and on and on...

Her husband is 14 years older than she is. He already had teenage children when they met. She is only 6 years older than his oldest child. Don't wear it as a badge of honor (or something to get sympathy over) if you married into it. If it was her biological child making her a great grandma...I could see whining, but it's not.

Petty, I know...I was feeling petty today .

When it gets brought back up tomorrow (and I know it will), I am tempted to just tell her "Yes, you are too young to be a great grandma" and leave it at that .
I don't understand why you are annoyed. She's just making conversation. It's just something going on in her life that she wants to talk about. If you can't converse on the topic, politely change it. Do you think everyone is interested in everything you want to talk about? I don't understand people who get annoyed at other people just because they talk about their feelings - feelings that have nothing to do with you and cannot in any way be considered insulting to you. Really, I think you are the one being rude here. How could someone work with you and not annoy you? She can't read your mind and know that what seems like something innocuous is a pet peeve for you.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Well, if people stopped having kids when they are 18 then this wouldn't happen. I know a girl that became a grandma at 37! It runs in the family lol

Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Wow. Really? I can't imagine why that did not go over well. Why in the world would you say that? My grandfather (my mothers father), remarried later in life. I always considered her my grandma. My mom remarried when I was 20 (father died when I was 6), and now that I have children, her husband is Grandpa to my kids. Do you have to be biologically related to be a grandparent? I guess I don't agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I don't understand why you are annoyed. She's just making conversation. It's just something going on in her life that she wants to talk about. If you can't converse on the topic, politely change it. Do you think everyone is interested in everything you want to talk about? I don't understand people who get annoyed at other people just because they talk about their feelings - feelings that have nothing to do with you and cannot in any way be considered insulting to you. Really, I think you are the one being rude here. How could someone work with you and not annoy you? She can't read your mind and know that what seems like something innocuous is a pet peeve for you.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting