Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 PM

286 posts, read 450,212 times

Advertisements

: So the generation of parents who spanked their kids created a generation of kids who were anti-spanking/ anti-harsh punishment but somewhat successful...

The anti-spanking/anti-harsh punishment (time outs ) generation created a group of kids who are self-centered, unstable, arrogant, and selfish. These kids have high suicide rates, lower achievements, and low self-esteem.

According to the CDC... suicide was the third leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 24. (the children of the anti-spanking generation)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/ViolencePrevention/pdf/Suicide-DataSheet-a.pdf

However, studies by anti-spanking group says spanking causes low self-esteem and mental illness. The spike in suicides doesn't add up.

Also, there was a report done awhile back about children killing their parents (one particular because they took away their game console as a punishment) and it was found that those children were not spanked etc. (I will post the link once I find it).

I believe these special interest anti-spanking group studies are rigged.. but that's my opinion.

When I was growing up I was taught two things by my mom:

"If you're bold enough to hit, you're bold enough to get hit." :Now I see kids hitting their parents in the store while the parents are begging them to stop. Just as bad, schools and parents are teaching their children that when a bully hit you run and tell the teacher. These kids do so and continues to get knocked up side the head. They learn to depend on others and cannot defend themselves, and people wonder why they shoot up the whole school.

"I brought you in to this world I'll take you out of it." Okay I know that one is drastic... but we knew never to cross my mother not just because we loved her and respected her, but because we have a healthy fear of her. A lot of people think it's wrong for your children to fear you. The same folk happens to believe in Christ and one of the staples of the bible is fear.. if you don't obey him you will be cast into a fiery pit and burn forever.. but remember, he loves you.

I want to add that I too was once anti-spanking. I believed in time outs until one day my daughter latched on to me with her teeth and completely broke my skin leaving a patch. My cousin who has older children (13-14-15) was anti-spanking and she cried on the phone telling me it was one of her worst mistakes. The kids do not respect her or other adults and do not listen at all. We all turned out to be successful, respectful adults.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Good for you. Now, please do a search for the multiple threads on the subject,because we really, truly, don't need another one.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I'm sure there was a time your parents questioned whether you would turn out to be successful, respectful adults.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 PM

286 posts, read 450,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Good for you. Now, please do a search for the multiple threads on the subject,because we really, truly, don't need another one.
Then don't comment...

Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
I was spanked a handful of times. Whatever I did to deserve it you can bet I never did again.

It's been so long ago I have no idea what wrong I had done, but I am glad I was brought up in a home where parents were parents and kids were disciplined.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
My parents were ahead of their times and never spanked. We still turned out successful, respectful adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting