Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:41 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times

Advertisements

I agree with many here. Lead by example. Don't shelter them so much that when they do see an example of drugs/alcohol they are "shocked" or taken by surprise. Educate them on peer pressure. Debunk myths about drugs and alcohol which is linked to peer pressure. Teach them to say no gracefully without losing face or coolness factor. But this is all when they are older.

Right now at 2 years old, just provide a warm and safe haven at home for them. A place they can unwind and enjoy. You stated that you are taking care of issues so you are on the right track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 01:42 PM

105 posts, read 168,933 times
Be a parent to your kids not their best friend. Teach them the difference between right & wrong & pray...

Old 10-22-2013, 01:56 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Our kids were raised seeing us drink and neither of them cares to drink or party.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
One thing I'd like to point out. I never ever drank or smoked pot as a teen because of peer pressure. I'm sure some kids did but no one ever pressured me into anything. I drank because I was bored, I was looking for drama and excitement and because it made me feel awesome. I think the best thing my parents could have done would have been to keep me busier, but honestly I was pretty busy so I'm not even sure that would have helped.

I just want parents to know that sometimes it's not because of peer pressure. I was a pretty secure teen I was just looking for a good time.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I think it has a lot to do with the circle of friends, I went through high school never doing drugs, while my sister did. Same parents, different friends.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
One thing I'd like to point out. I never ever drank or smoked pot as a teen because of peer pressure. I'm sure some kids did but no one ever pressured me into anything. I drank because I was bored, I was looking for drama and excitement and because it made me feel awesome. I think the best thing my parents could have done would have been to keep me busier, but honestly I was pretty busy so I'm not even sure that would have helped.

I just want parents to know that sometimes it's not because of peer pressure. I was a pretty secure teen I was just looking for a good time.
I'll point out that peer pressure does not necessarily mean someone shoving beer down your throat, or even making fun of you for not drinking. It can also mean just being around a lot of people drinking.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:54 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'll point out that peer pressure does not necessarily mean someone shoving beer down your throat, or even making fun of you for not drinking. It can also mean just being around a lot of people drinking.
I had lots of friends that didn't drink. I sought out people who did.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
No, I don't worry about my kid. I worry a lot about me.

Actually, I tend to worry a lot. But if I posted about my car issues on this forum, it'd be considered off topic so I don't post my worries about cars, finances, houses, etc, here, just my thoughts about my kid and my parenting skills.
Try to keep your worrying in check for your child's healthy development. He/she may still inherit your anxiety disorders/OCD genetically, but it's super important to keep the environmental influence to a minimum.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think establishing an open, honest relationship with our kids is probably the most important thing a parent can do.
I agree 100% with Haggard, open communication is key!

Growing up, as kids, we could NEVER talk to our mother. Everything freaked her out and she'd go on and on about how we SHOULD do this and that and so on. So we stopped coming to her.

I'm 6 years older than my sister, so she'd come to me with her problems, and I always listened and never judged her and ONLY gave advice if she asked. Even the first time she told me she wanted to have sex with her bf (and I freaked out on the inside), I told her if she felt ready then she needed to protect herself and got her condoms. Also offered to take her to PP and get birth control. So when she eventually was ready, she was protected and SMART about it. If she had gone to my mom she would have gone ballistic and probably locked her in her room and started homeschooling her...

Letting your kids know they could come to you for ANYTHING and that you'd be there for them is just the best thing IMO. I feel like instead of turning to drugs, even if they felt pressured, they could come to you for advice and you could tell them how there is no real benefit to it and that you know they are strong enough to 1- resist, 2- to know that they are better than that, and 3- are glad they came to you and you guys could talk it out.

I have never seen anything good come out of people doing drugs. I've only seen it ruin lives.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:46 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Some Faces of Meth

Personally, the cons outweigh the pros for both drugs and drinking; which is why I don't use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting