Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does you child have a legitimate child?
Yes 3 60.00%
No 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 04:25 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times

Advertisements

To fathers who never married the mother of your child or mothers who never married the father of her child…

After reading that 1 in 6 fathers doesn't live with his kids. A lot of men aren't aware that they have no legal rights to their child if conceived outside of wedlock. The only way around it is to file for legitimation in the courthouse or get married. It may not be a big deal to some, but I think it is. If something were to go wrong between the parents and he wanted custody or visitation, he doesn't have any rights (but they'll be damn sure that he pays child support). I was wondering how many out there have gone to the courthouse to file for legitimation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 04:42 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Well, we're still together many years later, so no need. The primary caregiver is the one who usually obtains custody - unless dad is a stay-at-home-dad at the time of the breakup, she's usually the one doing more of the actual childcare, so the status quo remains.

If a man is old enough to father a child, I'm sure he knows how to log in to his local government website, this information is clearly written out on state websites. It's not a secret. Unfortunately, a lot of men simply just don't care. There are many men who do care (my own partner was raised by his father, not his mother, who didn't care to be a mother - they were never married), but it's hardly a typical example either.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:16 AM

The question should read: Does your child have a legitimate father?

Old 12-21-2013, 06:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
After reading that 1 in 6 fathers doesn't live with his kids. A lot of men aren't aware that they have no legal rights to their child if conceived outside of wedlock. The only way around it is to file for legitimation in the courthouse or get married. It may not be a big deal to some, but I think it is. If something were to go wrong between the parents and he wanted custody or visitation, he doesn't have any rights (but they'll be damn sure that he pays child support). I was wondering how many out there have gone to the courthouse to file for legitimation.
I don't know where you live, but it's not like that in my state. Both parents have legal rights even if they're not married here. A quick google search shows this legitimation law does exist in Georgia. While some other states may have this law (I can't find any), it's not the norm for the country. You might want to post this poll in the Georgia forum instead.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Well, we're still together many years later, so no need. The primary caregiver is the one who usually obtains custody - unless dad is a stay-at-home-dad at the time of the breakup, she's usually the one doing more of the actual childcare, so the status quo remains.

If a man is old enough to father a child, I'm sure he knows how to log in to his local government website, this information is clearly written out on state websites. It's not a secret. Unfortunately, a lot of men simply just don't care. There are many men who do care (my own partner was raised by his father, not his mother, who didn't care to be a mother - they were never married), but it's hardly a typical example either.
I don't think my generation, millennials, knows that. We were 30 and under in 2012. I say that because I personally know 2 couples that went through custody issues. We graduated high school, and were ready to start college. However, they were going to different schools. In a specific case, the father was dating someone that the mother didn't like. So, she took the baby. Of course when he went to the court, to get visitation, the judge told me that he couldn't do anything for him. The poor guy broke down in tears.

I feel like the "mom gets mad at dad and takes baby away" situation too far.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:25 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
It depends on which state. My oldest was born in Florida, and his signature on the birth certificate suffices. Our youngest was born in GA, and he had to do additional legal paperwork. We're together, but I wanted him to have that additional legal protection in case I died or something.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't know where you live, but it's not like that in my state. Both parents have legal rights even if they're not married here. A quick google search shows this legitimation law does exist in Georgia. While some other states may have this law (I can't find any), it's not the norm for the country. You might want to post this poll in the Georgia forum instead.
The Uniform Parenting Act is what you're referring to. It's “the parent and child relationship extends equally to every child and to every parent, regardless of the marital status of the parents."

I have no idea what it says because each state has variations. I pulled this info from my criminal justice teacher…

Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
The Uniform Parenting Act is what you're referring to. It's “the parent and child relationship extends equally to every child and to every parent, regardless of the marital status of the parents."
No. I'm referring to my state laws and most state laws.

Quote:
I pulled this info from my criminal justice teacher…
And you live in one of the few states with this required legitimation process, don't you?

Old 12-21-2013, 07:30 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Quote:
I don't think my generation, millennials, knows that. We were 30 and under in 2012. I say that because I personally know 2 couples that went through custody issues. We graduated high school, and were ready to start college. However, they were going to different schools. In a specific case, the father was dating someone that the mother didn't like. So, she took the baby. Of course when he went to the court, to get visitation, the judge told me that he couldn't do anything for him. The poor guy broke down in tears.

I feel like the "mom gets mad at dad and takes baby away" situation too far.
I am probably the same age as you. Under 30 means what, exactly? An inability to google? I had a mortgage at age 21 and a career, I was well-aware of how to use google, like everyone else my age, because we had high-speed internet in elementary school.

If there is one thing that is common between custody stories, is that 3rd parties never get all the information and I can think of a number of issues with your friend's sob stories. If you encounter a sad man with illegitimate children, tell him to get off his ass and google his rights. If he can afford to take a girl out to dinner on a Friday night, surely he has a spare hour on Saturday morning to use a computer at the library and find some phone numbers/custody information?

Stop infantilizing men who don't try to enforce their rights. Their age is NO excuse, you understand "we" millenials aren't 12 years old anymore?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post

Except that 12 and 13 year olds with IQs of 60 can easily father a child. For many, fatherhood is nothing more than a sex drive and women with no standards.

Many are fathers simply because they were too stupid to put on a condom or get a vasectomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting