Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 09:09 AM

24,539 posts, read 17,284,948 times

Advertisements

On the outside looking in.. I know someone who is a father but never should have been. He has 3 kids, one is perpetual pot head student approaching 30, another recently graduated high school but is bouncing around job to job with no plans beyond tomorrow and the other basically dropped out of school when she was 13. She didn't actually drop out but she decided that she didn't want to go and her father made it easy on her not to. She was falling through the cracks, getting into trouble with drugs, drinking and the wrong type of people so we made a anonymous call to the school and the truant officer took action and used to go to the house and drag her to school. The problem was the school had budget cuts and they cut this position so the kid once again had a free pass to skip.
Today I heard through the grape vine that the now 17 year old daughter came home at 6am drunk, got into a fight with Dad who told her he didn't want her there anymore, she grabbed her behaviour pills and left. They haven't heard from her in 2 days. She is probably wiht her boyfriend but who knows?
What can I do. This poor kid has been lost for years due to the lack of parenting. It is a pretty sad situation to say the least. If I were her dad I would be calling her friends trying to find her then I would be calling the police. I think this bum flat out doesn't care about his kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 09:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
I don't think you can do much but work hard and pay your taxes so these grown up children will get government handouts and can continue living like they're living.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:41 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,300,712 times
The girls 17, pretty close to legal age isn't she?
I'd be out looking for her too, but obviously the Dad finds it too much work, or too depressing, or whatever.
I doubt that the police would do much...seriously.
Like you said, maybe he never should have had kids...some people just make lousy parents.
Do you have any kind of friendship with this young woman? If so, just let her know that if she needs someone to talk to or confide in she can come to you, and you'll not betray her.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
I'd go find her myself.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:58 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,638,064 times
Those were his kids and his responsibility. If he failed as a parent, then that's his problem. Do not get involved. At this point, there's nothing you can say or do for the 17-year-old girl. She has a mind and will of her own. And she CHOSE to do those things. She can choose to take herself out of it and get help. She's almost 18 anyway. There's no point in trying to get involved because 1) she obviously doesn't want to be helped, and 2) she's almost at the age where she can legally do as she pleases and be her own caretaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting