Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I really don't. We are Amazon converts, with next day shipping I only shop in grocery stores these days unless there's an emergency need for something and then it's usually Home Depot. Now as I said in my earlier post I may be a minority in that sense and when my kids were babies I did shop at Target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think a lot of this comes down to what else you know about the family. If they aren't exactly "high on the hog" then the gift card or cash option is a great idea. I'd offer up $50 now to cover expenses and then finish it with a $100 or so after it's all done. If they are more affluent and they are just doing this because they can and the kids get along, then I would go the "gift card for dinner and a movie" route when it's over.
I agree the key is to know what the mom likes/needs. If she shops at Target, a Target card. If at Amazon, an Amazon card. If they are more affluent, consider also a membership in a children's museum if there is one in your town, or the zoo, etc. When all else fails, a gift card to the local grocery store. I don't think that's offensive. Everybody eats, and everybody should be paid for their work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
I like the gift card to the restaurant and the offer of babysitting idea best but if thats awkward then I'd go for an Amazon gift card.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:11 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Arrange for a paid spa day, the works for the two of you! Hire a babysitter to watch all the kids and make a full day of it and see if you can't turn it into a full fledged friendship.
Or if that doesn't interest you, watch her kids and send her and the hubby out for a fun day, on you.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:55 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Arrange for a paid spa day, the works for the two of you! Hire a babysitter to watch all the kids and make a full day of it and see if you can't turn it into a full fledged friendship.
Or if that doesn't interest you, watch her kids and send her and the hubby out for a fun day, on you.

This! Last time I picked up my son, I asked her what restaurants she likes. Hint hint now I can get her a restaurant gift card to a place she actually liked.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
When our kids were younger I often volunteered to help other parents. I would have been sort of offended if they offered me cash since I wasn't looking to get paid. Of the suggestions made I think I would have appreciated some meals the most...a tray of lasagna or whatever. A gift card to a nice restaurant and an offer to take the kids when we used that card would have been wonderful as well. Target is always a good suggestion, she can shop online via Target if you don't have one near you too. Keep in mind that it's the thought that counts.

Also, like someone else said, what's one more kid. When our kids had friends over it was actually more of a break for me vs more work because they kids were busy playing and I could read a book or whatever

Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
When our kids were younger I often volunteered to help other parents. I would have been sort of offended if they offered me cash since I wasn't looking to get paid. Of the suggestions made I think I would have appreciated some meals the most...a tray of lasagna or whatever. A gift card to a nice restaurant and an offer to take the kids when we used that card would have been wonderful as well. Target is always a good suggestion, she can shop online via Target if you don't have one near you too. Keep in mind that it's the thought that counts.

Also, like someone else said, what's one more kid. When our kids had friends over it was actually more of a break for me vs more work because they kids were busy playing and I could read a book or whatever
I hear what you're saying, but this is a 10 week commitment. Every Monday for 10 weeks, this mom must plan to have the OP's child with her after school, and give him/her dinner. That's more than a tray of lasagna IMO. The mom may not have even realized what a commitment it was when she said "yes". I've certainly known people who have BTDT, and later resented it.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I hear what you're saying, but this is a 10 week commitment. Every Monday for 10 weeks, this mom must plan to have the OP's child with her after school, and give him/her dinner. That's more than a tray of lasagna IMO. The mom may not have even realized what a commitment it was when she said "yes". I've certainly known people who have BTDT, and later resented it.
I've done more than that and never resented it. If I didn't want to do it, I wouldn't have offered. I took in 3 of my daughter's friends 3 days/week after school for 3 months during basketball season one year. The girls had a blast and their moms didn't have to juggle their work schedule to get them to practice when I lived 5 houses from school and we were going to practice anyway. It is just what you do for friends I guess. I had friends do similar things for my kids..one friend took care of our oldest son for 3 months, picked him up at our house and dropped him off every day when I was pregnant with our twins just so I could rest for a few hours. I tried to pay her and she got mad . I guess I don't understand the resentment??

Old 02-14-2014, 04:58 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
This! Last time I picked up my son, I asked her what restaurants she likes. Hint hint now I can get her a restaurant gift card to a place she actually liked.
I would do the restaurant gift card. I'm sure it will be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting