Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Really! I live in Pittsburgh! In case you're not up-to-date on recent American history, my city's economy crashed in the late 70s and early 80s due to the collapse of the steel industry. Those steel mills were the factories. The economy recovered in other industries, not factory work. There might be some small production here and there, but no grand scale manufacturing to support the masses of parents who would need jobs to meet your utopia.
Agreed. I would add, these steel mill jobs were not options for women, at least not back in the day when my father worked for US Steel. And really, there hasn't been much going on in the mills since then. The big crash came in the early 80s, but it was a slow but steady downhill for a decade before that.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Really, you live in Pittsburgh and there is NO where to work shift work....

Again--keep harping on ONE options I posted....
I didn't. I addressed every option. I provided a link to a newspaper article proving that our hospital system, the area's largest employer, pays poverty wages. I told you there are limited factory jobs available here. I asked you if you expected a parent with a degree in accounting or marketing to work minimum wage in fast food. Retail isn't open 24/7, except Walmart which is minimum wage. And I've pointed out it's impossible for there to be enough shift jobs for all American families to life your dream.

You've ignored every point. Since you don't want to have a rational discussion, you must be intending to ignite a mommy war.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No, I think the reverse is true, you can't get past ONE suggestion--I presented factories as ONE option, how about retail? Retail jobs could be a nice SECOND income, which you are failing to grasp and ANY retailer would be happy to have someone that only wanted to work nights/weekends. Move into retail management and they make very good money, especially at stores like Macy's, etc....which I KNOW you have in Pitt. How about working in a call center? They have night shifts. Hospitals have more than just nurses working night shifts. Go get your MA certificate--it's a couple short months to get that..or a pharm tech certificate...both jobs pay a nice SECOND income, even in Pittsburgh. Even working 2 ten hours shifts just on Saturday and Sunday would provide a nice second income for a family that needs a little extra. Restaurants certainly want people to work nights and weekends and getting a job in a nicer restaurant can bring in $50,000+ in a year...that's a very nice second income. Do you have restaurants in Pittsburgh? I've only been there once but I think there are some.......do you want to keep talking about "factory work" as being the only option there?

How about doing in-home day care, maybe you have a skill like teaching piano or tutoring other children...
Your children are in college. Have you gone back to work? Since you don't seem to have held a job outside the house in many years, how happy would you be working for minimum wage with a college education?
Nobody walks into a job paying $50,000+ a year without current work experience.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:39 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
I'm closing for now...under Mod Review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting