Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

This was sent to me by my son's former girlfriend. She and I are FB friends and I have never met her and probably never will. I know my son talked about me a lot and we miss each other very much as he is thousands of miles away. She said she feels she knows me. I was very touched.

This Is the World's Toughest Job, and Billions Are Already Doing It
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 02:59 PM

133 posts, read 152,141 times
This fell flat for me. I honestly don't feel that way about parenting and to me, the commercial was offensive and cheesy.

I feel like there are tons of jobs harder than being a mother but that's just me.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:03 PM

483 posts, read 670,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Hippy View Post
This fell flat for me. I honestly don't feel that way about parenting and to me, the commercial was offensive and cheesy.

I feel like there are tons of jobs harder than being a mother but that's just me.
Harder, yes. Worse paid, torturous, mind numbing, and repetitive? Not too many come to mind. Or maybe you have Stepfordchildren.

You are talking about no job security, no retirement, no paycheck, no breaks, and hardly any respect. And everyone, including you, having something to say about it.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:09 PM

133 posts, read 152,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Harder, yes. Worse paid, torturous, mind numbing, and repetitive? Not too many come to mind. Or maybe you have Stepfordchildren.

You are talking about no job security, no retirement, no paycheck, no breaks, and hardly any respect. And everyone, including you, having something to say about it.
...I don't think of it as a "job". Motherhood means something entirely different to me. Sorry if you feel that way about it? That sounds miserable.

No step-children.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post

Were you expecting to be paid when you had children? Retirement? breaks? I never understand why people bring these things up. Being a parent isn't a job, its just a part of life.

No job security? If you want to look at it in terms of a job, job security is actually pretty great. At least for mine they've had that "job" for 30 something years. My grandparents have been for going on 60 years. Their "duties" might have changed, but they are still a parent.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:06 PM

286 posts, read 450,197 times
I thought that was sweet.
Becoming a mother is the most rewarding decisions of my life and I pray everyday that I do right by my children.

I'm sure if you offered most moms (at least me) to quit this "job" for a billion dollars she would turn it down in a heartbeat.

I get so caught up in my duties as a mom that I sometimes forget my mom and all that she still does emotionally for me.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
...I don't think of it as a "job". Motherhood means something entirely different to me. Sorry if you feel that way about it? That sounds miserable.

No step-children.
It's quite fascinating how sanctimommies always feels "sorry" and sad" for people.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Were you expecting to be paid when you had children? Retirement? breaks? I never understand why people bring these things up. Being a parent isn't a job, its just a part of life.

No job security? If you want to look at it in terms of a job, job security is actually pretty great. At least for mine they've had that "job" for 30 something years. My grandparents have been for going on 60 years. Their "duties" might have changed, but they are still a parent.

That is why women run in droves to paid employment. Job security is of course great-in theory, until hubby decides to fall in love with his secretary or decides to become ill or incapacitated in some way. This happens quite often, as you can imagine, as the trope of the poor widow and abandoned woman is quite popular historically

Old 04-15-2014, 04:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:

No step-children.
I agree, I have never gotten the constant need to call parenting a job.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I agree, I have never gotten the constant need to call parenting a job.
It can't possibly be "the hardest job" by itself - if so many people do THIS job as well as another job.

I also don't get the "no breaks" part. This seems to assume several details that are obviously not true: 1) that the "mom" job only has responsibilities involving children 5 or under who will be under mom's exclusive care all day long.

2) that it is normal for children between 0-5 to be allowed to have complete control over the mom's schedule to the point where she can't even take a bathroom break. While this may be true for very young babies ...as the child grows...this reeks of the aforementioned "sanctimommism" more than it describes real occupational hardship.

Women in "mom" positions with school age children can definitely take many more breaks and have a whole lot more control over their day than persons in other types of jobs. After all, there is that thing called "public school" that keeps children between 8 am - 2:30 pm. Nice chunk of time to do as you please with.
And plenty of bathroom breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting