Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 PM

17 posts, read 17,228 times

Advertisements

I’m 38 as is my wife. Our little girl Megan is 5 and she is the best thing to ever happen to me. Every day she wakes up and is happy as can be. Maybe I’m 5 years late, but fatherhood is scaring me to death as far as, will I make the right decisions with her? Will I spoil her too much? Will she turn out ok? I mean sure I’ll have my wife doing 50% of the rearing, but still. Of course they’ll be those great dad moments of watching her get her license, getting to take her first date off to the side and saying “ Look, that’s my little girl, hurt her and I'll hurt you understood?, graduation. Help me. I’m freaking out. As of right now, saying " no" to her is a rare occurrence because she has her puppy dog eyes and the cute way of saying " But Daddy...". Advice from more experienced parents welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Wow, Dad. First post ever and it's about fatherhood. You really are freaking out! Your daughter is so blessed to have an awesome Father who cares this much. Just do your best. That's all you can do. Kids are all different. Make sure you and your wife are on the same page with discipline. Structure is really the best thing for kids. Sounds like you're going to carefully weigh decisions and make the best one for you.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Wow, Dad. First post ever and it's about fatherhood. You really are freaking out! Your daughter is so blessed to have an awesome Father who cares this much. Just do your best. That's all you can do. Kids are all different. Make sure you and your wife are on the same page with discipline. Structure is really the best thing for kids. Sounds like you're going to carefully weigh decisions and make the best one for you.
My wife is the one who gives out lectures and time-outs. She's not manipulated by puppy dog eyes the way I am. So, rather than be on the same page, she's on a page, and I'm not reading the book if that makes any sense. I can't say no to her big blue eyes

Last edited by SecurityDude; 04-22-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 PM

What's also tugging at my brain is that in 8 or 9 years, I'll be the most annoying person in the world to her and going a week without talking to me will be a goal( I have 3 older sisters, boy were their teen years fun.)

Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityDude View Post
What's also tugging at my brain is that in 8 or 9 years, I'll be the most annoying person in the world to her and going a week without talking to me will be a goal( I have 3 older sisters, boy were their teen years fun.)
No girls love their dad but will fight with their mom's.lol

Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
No girls love their dad but will fight with their mom's.lol
Well than that's a load off my mind. I'll just be the walking ATM.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityDude View Post
Well than that's a load off my mind. I'll just be the walking ATM.
No you will be her common sense and shoulder to cry on.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
No you will be her common sense and shoulder to cry on.
That's a nice thought, well at least the first half. Do you have children of your own?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 PM

27 posts, read 31,664 times
So...you and your wife aren't on the same page and you never tell your daughter no? Is this just tongue-in-cheek or do you have a serious concern? Because I think showing her that her adorableness will get her way is not a good thing for little girls to learn. I'm not saying you need to become a drill sergeant with her, but it is important for her to learn reasonable limits and here the word no. Learning how to deal with "no" is an important life skill and you're doing her a disservice. You can affirm her adorableness is other ways.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kir_royale View Post
So...you and your wife aren't on the same page and you never tell your daughter no? Is this just tongue-in-cheek or do you have a serious concern? Because I think showing her that her adorableness will get her way is not a good thing for little girls to learn. I'm not saying you need to become a drill sergeant with her, but it is important for her to learn reasonable limits and here the word no. Learning how to deal with "no" is an important life skill and you're doing her a disservice. You can affirm her adorableness is other ways.
This is a serious concern of mine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting