Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 05:36 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times

Advertisements

I'm involved in advocacy for children in foster care. The group I'm with is having a duffle bag drive so that a child going into foster care has a real bag and not a plastic garbage bag in which to carry their belongings. Into those bags we are putting various hygiene items. I'm going out shopping for some of these items tomorrow.

My question is: For feminine hygiene products, do more young teen girls start out with pads as I did when I was young or do they start right in with tampons? I want to buy a lot of what they will use most.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 05:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I'm involved in advocacy for children in foster care. The group I'm with is having a duffle bag drive so that a child going into foster care has a real bag and not a plastic garbage bag in which to carry their belongings. Into those bags we are putting various hygiene items. I'm going out shopping for some of these items tomorrow.

My question is: For feminine hygiene products, do more young teen girls start out with pads as I did when I was young or do they start right in with tampons? I want to buy a lot of what they will use most.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Tampons seem to be more common....but not universal. Pads might be a better option, because all young women can use them...while some choose to not use tampons.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Put both in the bags. That way the girls can decide for themselves, and none of them are forced to use something they don't like simply because someone thought most young girls liked something else. Plus, by having both, they'll have something to use after they run out of their preference too.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 PM

Thanks! It's been so long since I shopped for these items, I'm sure my mind will boggle at all the choices (light, medium, heavy, applicator, no applicator etc.). Maybe I'll do a mix of both and hope the girls will get a choice at the time of removal from their home.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Thanks! It's been so long since I shopped for these items, I'm sure my mind will boggle at all the choices (light, medium, heavy, applicator, no applicator etc.). Maybe I'll do a mix of both and hope the girls will get a choice at the time of removal from their home.
Do medium (regular) with applicator.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:02 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
I'd put in both. Kids need to learn by trial error how to use tampons. They may go through some before they learn to get them comfortable. So it's good to have pads around for use while they are learning about tampons. You want to make sure the pads are there as easy back up.

Also, some foster families may not want to buy the more expensive tampons. I don't know how that works with foster kids. Do they get a state allowance for their own use or if they have to depend on caregivers to buy these things for them ? You don't want kids running out of hygiene products. Pads are cheaper.

Thus, I'd put in both. I'd also add that if you know the children personally and they are old enough to have been using feminine products for a while, you can always ask what they prefer. For unknown children, cover all bases.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:10 PM

The foster parents get a stipend. The kids don't. These bags will be given to them by the police and social workers who remove them from their home. At that point, not much is known about them except that they have to be moved to safety. I will buy supplies of both just to cover the bases.

I really appreciate all this feedback. It sounds like things haven't really changed much in the 20 years since I used these products. After 50 years, I still vividly recall my older sister whispering instructions through the bathroom door when I tried my first tampons (OB without the applicator). I was 15 by then.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:16 PM

Just thought of something else to ask. Do they still use those awful belts or do all the pads just stick to the underwear? Do I need to buy belts? Guess I need to cruise the feminine hygiene aisle and see what the latest things are.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:18 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:
Just thought of something else to ask. Do they still use those awful belts or do all the pads just stick to the underwear? Do I need to buy belts? Guess I need to cruise the feminine hygiene aisle and see what the latest things are.
Wow! You haven't used this stuff in a while. No belts.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Ah...they haven't used belts since before I was in high school! Pads have REALLY changed since then. Even the super absorbent ones are rather thing..and most have wings that wrap around undies to help prevent leaks. Most are also individually wrapped these days as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting