Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 05:31 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times

Advertisements

Rural???? What the hell are you talking about?

Old 07-05-2014, 05:32 PM

703 posts, read 871,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Rural???? What the hell are you talking about?
properly read through my previous post.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:50 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
You can't raise two different people the same, or you shouldn't. They are not the same and won't react the same. I would think tailoring you r parenting style to each child's personalitiy would be the best way to go in some matters.
Yes, I would have to agree with this. My best friend grew up with very little discipline or responsibilities, but was very self-directed from an early age. She excelled academically and never gave her parents a day of worry. She is a successful adult.

Her brother was raised just the same, but it was a disaster. He needed extreme structure to thrive and never received it. His parents also refused to recognize the fact that he exhibited easily identifiable signs of mental illness from an early age, despite numerous warnings. He is now pushing 40, has never held a job for more than a few months in his life (and certainly not in the last decade) and is entirely dependent on his parents who simply enable him. He is utterly unstable, with no means of supporting himself and no means of even getting himself well, because he can't even realize he's sick.

The truly sad part is that he is actually quite brilliant.

Raised exactly the same way his sister was. She's a success; he's a disaster.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Yes, I would have to agree with this. My best friend grew up with very little discipline or responsibilities, but was very self-directed from an early age. She excelled academically and never gave her parents a day of worry. She is a successful adult.

Her brother was raised just the same, but it was a disaster. He needed extreme structure to thrive and never received it. His parents also refused to recognize the fact that he exhibited easily identifiable signs of mental illness from an early age, despite numerous warnings. He is now pushing 40, has never held a job for more than a few months in his life (and certainly not in the last decade) and is entirely dependent on his parents who simply enable him. He is utterly unstable, with no means of supporting himself and no means of even getting himself well, because he can't even realize he's sick.

The truly sad part is that he is actually quite brilliant.

Raised exactly the same way his sister was. She's a success; he's a disaster.
I think there's a bigger underlying cause. I'm pretty sure his parents' method would have worked again, but there might be another cause. He could have a severe mental illness that hasn't been truly identified (Not that he just went somewhere and doctor said he has add). He could have a lower IQ. Who knows, but I'm willing to bet there is a bigger underlying cause to it, and if he would have one of those, then they haven't figured out how to properly raise a child with an exceptional situation, but rather a normal individual.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
OP, I guess I have to wonder about the need to get the semantics down, when it's really the followup that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
properly read through my previous post.
Your message was fine until the whole "rural" commentary. That's not what the word actually means. Where would you even begin to learn of "18th century Hillbilly Parenting"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
OP, I guess I have to wonder about the need to get the semantics down, when it's really the followup that matters.

Your message was fine until the whole "rural" commentary. That's not what the word actually means. Where would you even begin to learn of "18th century Hillbilly Parenting"? Inquiring minds want to know.
ru·ral

[roor-uhl] Show IPA
adjective 1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the country, country life, or country people; rustic: rural tranquillity.

Hmm....

That's not what the word actually means? lololol okkkkk whatever you say!!

18th century parenting? It's a figure of speech in that respect (the 18th century part, not the rural definition part) , but it's a way of saying that you don't use old morals when we have proven facts and data that show us not to do some actions in the past, but some still do. Take horses for example. It's not really that efficient to take a horse from michigan to alabama when you we can take cars today, unless you were just doing it for fun, which was not where I was going with the situation.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
take back your home change the locks or move.
that person in the house is no longer your daughter.
if you just dont have the heart to do this and you are an emotional slave to your daughter get professional help. you are not in the drivers seat she is.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
take back your home change the locks or move.
that person in the house is no longer your daughter.
if you just dont have the heart to do this and you are an emotional slave to your daughter get professional help. you are not in the drivers seat she is.
This is factually incorrect. again she is still your daughter, and we're not going to cut this woman down again & again for her mistakes, but rather what she can do now for what's better for the both of them.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:08 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
ru·ral

[roor-uhl] Show IPA
adjective 1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the country, country life, or country people; rustic: rural tranquillity.

Hmm....

That's not what the word actually means? lololol okkkkk whatever you say!!

18th century parenting? It's a figure of speech in that respect (the 18th century part, not the rural definition part) , but it's a way of saying that you don't use old morals when we have proven facts and data that show us not to do some actions in the past, but some still do. Take horses for example. It's not really that efficient to take a horse from michigan to alabama when you we can take cars today, unless you were just doing it for fun, which was not where I was going with the situation.
Yes, that's the definition of the word rural, but how you've connected to some "style" of parenting falls flat.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yes, that's the definition of the word rural, but how you've connected to some "style" of parenting falls flat.
Incorrect once again. statistics show that rural individuals mainly choose the backwoods, historic morals, as they are not progressive. It's safe to say that the connection to historical terms also meets the criteria of my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting