Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 03:49 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Getting AWAY from the OP's topic but still on the discussion of long showers ~

what about people that spend ($$$) on luxurious master bathrooms like this:
12 Luxury Showers That Will Never Make You Want To Leave The Bathroom (PHOTOS)

You think they spend only 7 minutes in there? I think they CAMP in there.
Don't worry, the OP bid this thread goodbye pages ago.

Amazing! I think some of those bathrooms are larger than my entire condo unit. I do like the indoor garden shower idea. I'd stay in there all day!

Old 07-19-2014, 04:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Getting AWAY from the OP's topic but still on the discussion of long showers ~

what about people that spend ($$$) on luxurious master bathrooms like this:
12 Luxury Showers That Will Never Make You Want To Leave The Bathroom (PHOTOS)

You think they spend only 7 minutes in there? I think they CAMP in there.
I have what most would consider a luxury bathroom.
I don't camp out there all day.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:28 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Thinking about wasting water - I take at least three showers (usually four or five) on a sauna night - one before and after and one during each cooling down break. I could spend hours doing that quite happily!

Old 07-19-2014, 06:32 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,076 times
Wow, I've never heard of anyone spending 30-45 minutes in the shower. I just get in shampoo if needed, wash my body and get out. I do not linger. I have a lot of other stuff to attend to. I also do not believe in wasting our resources.
I'm appalled at this!

I've never timed how long I'm in there but I'd wager to say less than 10 minutes for sure.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
as long as she want, enjoy the lack of hot water now because if four year she properly won't be coming home at all. at least you know where she is and she alone, well hope she alone

Old 07-19-2014, 07:33 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
7 minutes. Reminds me of summer camp when they'd only give you 5 minutes. NO WAY you're getting clean.

If you're having water heater problems it seems to me you need to go tankless so you can stop worrying and let her live her fairy dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
When I take showers, I can exfoliate my entire body, make a special organic body scrub with only the most environmentally friendly ingredients (yes, I do this IN the shower), deep condition my hair (18 inches long!), remove each microbacteria individually, and shave each hair one by one (as to prevent razor burn) all in under 5 minutes. Really, it should NOT take you 10 minutes in the shower.
Lies.

Now, perhaps you're not counting the heat up time for the water. You need to count that.
Perhaps you're not counting the time it takes to grab, open, apply, close, and replace the bottles for each of those steps. While they may be small individually, they add up collectively. You need to count that.
Perhaps you're not rinsing thoroughly afterwards.
Perhaps you don't towel dry, maybe you walk around naked and air dry yourself.
Perhaps you don't lather.

All I know is, a GOOD shower is a minimum of 10 minutes, all told. 15 minutes is about reasonable. Even if I used a combo shampoo/shaving/shower wash, there's no way I'm out of there less than 10 minutes. It's 3 just to get the water right!

30 minutes to an hour is a bit much - but there are times. Especially if you've just been in dirt or mud or even painting. Sometimes you just have to take extra time - but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Last edited by revelated; 07-19-2014 at 08:53 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 07:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Revelated, I take a second shower when I come home from work every day. I don't wash my hair again but I want to feel clean after working in the hospital all day. So I just soap up my body and face and rinse off. This literally takes 2 minutes from start to finish and I am plenty clean. I know how long it takes because I listen to my podcasts while I shower.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:30 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
As long as something is understandable, when one is in a casual setting, such as a message board, it really comes across as pompous to tear someone apart over word choice. Now, if this was a formal essay or presentation to an employer, then you might have a call for this....but really, in this context, this is quite horrifying, to you use your own words.
I generally don't care if I see grammar mistakes, typos, or what appears to be "foreign English" (hell, if someone's 2nd language is English and they're able to post onto an English message board, that's pretty impressive).

However, I posted this in response to the common thinking that "tip" stands for "to insure promptness" when the proper word is actually "to ensure promptness". So the tip jar is really a "tep" jar. Given how the saying is based off an incorrect acronym, I felt it'd be interesting to point it out. Then someone below that got all riled up, as if the acronym being off wasn't an issue....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/35493785-post77.html

Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,576 times
How do you limit a kid's shower time? I know you can, and I have suggestions, but it's not just "Ok, here's the rule, showers are limited to 8 minutes".

Most of us just relax in the shower and just want to forget the time, unless we have to go to work or something.

Here's an effective way to limit shower time: on the hot water tank there's a valve. Turn the valve off, and the shower is all cold water. Whoever is in the shower can stay as long as they like, but the water won't be warm. That's an evil way to limit it.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
How do you limit a kid's shower time? I know you can, and I have suggestions, but it's not just "Ok, here's the rule, showers are limited to 8 minutes".

Most of us just relax in the shower and just want to forget the time, unless we have to go to work or something.

Here's an effective way to limit shower time: on the hot water tank there's a valve. Turn the valve off, and the shower is all cold water. Whoever is in the shower can stay as long as they like, but the water won't be warm. That's an evil way to limit it.
Knock on the door and say "time to finish up." Doesn't seem too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.