Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:57 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times

Advertisements

We gave out Sun Chips or baked lays in small bags (snack pack bags) The neighborhood kids came the next year looking for more..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 12:09 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
That's the spirit of the season! I'm curious: Do you skip Christmas if you can't buy your kid that XBox too?
There is nothing wrong with the advise givin...Halloween is a opt in holiday. ...you don't have to give strangers treats if you don't want to it can't afford it...and yes...why buy crap if you know it's not going to go over well? If money is tight...it's no shame to say 'nope can't do it this year'.

This has nothing to do with what a parent might buy for their own child at another holiday.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Pencils? Do kids even use pencils anymore?
And I disagree that kids don't know where they got what. Mine always knew which were the 'good' houses and which ones to skip because they were given Mary Janes, or some other super cheap candies that went into the trash.
Most of the spider rings, stickers, etc also went straight into the trash once they were over the age of 5-6, except silly straws, they always seemed to enjoy those for some reason.
I think if you can't afford to give out something that most kids would enjoy you might as well not waste your money and just keep your lights off.
Yes, kids use pencils. Mine uses them every night to do his homework. And as a matter of fact, he's currently using a Halloween theme pencil he got last year.

But he's also one of those kids who loves the stickers, spider rings, etc. His hope last year was to get 10 spider rings so he could put one on each finger. He fell a little short, but he also prefers to go back home to hand out the candy himself, so he's only out actually trick or treating for about an hour.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:42 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, kids use pencils. Mine uses them every night to do his homework. And as a matter of fact, he's currently using a Halloween theme pencil he got last year.

But he's also one of those kids who loves the stickers, spider rings, etc. His hope last year was to get 10 spider rings so he could put one on each finger. He fell a little short, but he also prefers to go back home to hand out the candy himself, so he's only out actually trick or treating for about an hour.
I will say that in many areas pencils are not allowed for most assignments....maybe for dome math classes it would be okay.....so the question is not that odd.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:50 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
That's the spirit of the season! I'm curious: Do you skip Christmas if you can't buy your kid that XBox too?
I skip the part about buying everyone in the family a gift if I can't afford something halfway decent. I figure they don't need more 'junk', so we draw names or whatever.
For Halloween, well, who wants to be known as 'that house ' the one everybody over the age of five skips because they give out gross stuff? I don't see much point in that TBH.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
yes...why buy crap if you know it's not going to go over well? If money is tight...it's no shame to say 'nope can't do it this year'.
Because maybe some people enjoy participating in the holiday.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 PM

338 posts, read 421,352 times
Quote:
"We gave out Sun Chips or baked lays in small bags (snack pack bags) The neighborhood kids came the next year looking for more."
^-- This.

First hallowe'en living at one of the several Vancouver apartment complexes I've been through, I did that. Went to Costco, picked up two flats each of cheese-flavoured Sun Chips and of cheetos, Lays and that stuff, plus the obligatory bag of candy. Apparently this went over quite well, from monitoring local FRS traffic and the fact that I had run out of everything before about 1930 that night. (In that area, 6-7 years ago, it wasn't uncommon to get in excess of 200 visits on Hallowe'en. A lot of them came in from the two adjacent apartment complexes and the adjoining housing area.)

Meanwhile, in the house across the main road from my complex lived a dentist. He'd (no joke) hand out small toothbrushes and dental floss. Try and guess whose house was usually the first on the block to be vandalised...

Old 10-20-2014, 08:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^Do you really think chips are healthier than candy?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Do you really think chips are healthier than candy?
It's Halloween....it's about the fun, not the "healthy snacks". Kids can eat healthy other days of the year.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
It's Halloween....it's about the fun, not the "healthy snacks". Kids can eat healthy other days of the year.
Oh, I agree! Do note the PP was giving out "healthy" chips, an oxymoron, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting