Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

Oh, and let's not forget the year I got Pop a Snuggie. He LOVED it, lol.
Finally an answer to my oft-asked question: "Who actually buys those things?!?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 12:06 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
My dad is diabetic so I got him and stepmother a meat jerky gift basket. My mil lives alone. We bought her a Kuerig and refills last year. Will probably get that for her again. My mom said she doesn't want a gift. I may get her a gift card to a restaurant. I like to give practical or consumable gifts.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I've been following the thread about how much people spend on Christmas gifts for their adult children. It got me wondering if most adult children buy gifts for their own parents (who would be middle aged to elderly, and most likely have all of the material possessions they need).
Yes. We bought my mom gift cards to her favorite boutique grocery stores, as she loved good food and loved cooking. Buying her those allowed her to splurge.

I also bought my mother fancy meats and seafoods. She liked it BUT since she cooked for one, it was a little too much of the same. Six tenderloins and six lobster tails is great for a family, but too much for one.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:47 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
My mom always wants a picture of the kids framed or on something. My wife has made aprons and other things for her with the kids pictures on them. Every year I get my dad a new tool or knife. He has been building a massive tool collection for decades and I mostly know what he has. I always end up getting him something unique and differant or some interesting tool that he may not buy on his own. On top of that When I was a kid, maybt 9 or 10 it became a tradition for me to buy my dad a box of chocolate covered cherries.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
That doesn't sound weird to me at all. Very practical and something she will enjoy every morning.

Two years ago, when we were living in Louisiana, I filled my carry-on bag with frozen boudin (a special sausage that is fabulous, but I'd never heard of until we lived there), and my dad and sons got that for Christmas. I often get my dad food gifts, because at 85, there is not much else he needs. This year while I am in town visiting, I will fill his freezer with single-serve meals. For mom, me and my siblings are buying her a tablet. She discovered the joys of playing games on someone's iPad while she was in rehab from a broken pelvis over the summer, so now she will have her own to play Solitaire, Boggle, Scrabble, etc.
This is exactly what I've decided to do for my mother this year. I'm filling her freezer with meals. In the past we've gotten her a Kindle, a new set of knives, clothing, etc. She was appreciative, but I think at her age (89), the biggest concern is that she eats properly.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:52 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
In my personal experience? Obstreperous loners who don't care what other people think. My father and my best friend love theirs.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:07 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Quote:
Quote:
In my personal experience? Obstreperous loners who don't care what other people think. My father and my best friend love theirs.
My son thought they were really dumb...

I thought I was buying him a nice fleece Red Sox blanket, but it turned out to be a snuggie. He LOVES it and uses it every day in the winter. Since his wardrobe consists of shorts and t-shirts all day, every day, this is a welcomed thing in his cold room.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
My mother usually tells me exactly what to get her, and then I get her a small gift card to Kohl's or Macy's because I know she likes to shop.

My father gets a warm sweater or fleece (because he is always cold), and usually some "household convenience" items from Bed Bath and Beyond.

I like to find them both trinkets that they find useful. Like, one year, I got pop a pair of scissors that could cut through thick plastic packaging, and another time I picked up a few very strong and tiny LED flashlights for him to keep around the house and in his car, since the area where he lives is poorly lit. My mother got a tiny silicone colander that is designed for single servings of fruit, but can also be used for poaching or steaming veggies.

Oh, and let's not forget the year I got Pop a Snuggie. He LOVED it, lol.
Quote:
Gosh, my daughter got me a snuggie one year (I didn't know that's what they were called, had to look it up just now) and I use it ALL THE TIME.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:30 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
My son thought they were really dumb...

I thought I was buying him a nice fleece Red Sox blanket, but it turned out to be a snuggie. He LOVES it and uses it every day in the winter. Since his wardrobe consists of shorts and t-shirts all day, every day, this is a welcomed thing in his cold room.
That's funny. I guess I should follow the rule that says "Don't knock it if you ain't tried it."

I thought a snuggie was pretty much a bathrobe worn backwards. But maybe it is much more than that!

How about the snuggies for dogs?!?

Old 12-10-2014, 04:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
My husband and I are both in our late 30s and our parents still buy us Christmas gifts. We buy them gifts as well (i.e. jewelry, clothes, electronics, whatever).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting