Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

too old for toys
not old enough or interested in jewelry and cosmetics
want to pick their own clothes
need new bikes but what to pick them out themselves
not really into music except videos online
like most American kids they have all of what they need and most of what they want already

So far I have
big grab bag of nail polishes, remover, clippers, emery boards, nail decorator kits
body washes
two wii games
large 500 piece puzzle-family tradition for holidays
some tops I ordered from Lands End -they may not like them
cozy jamies
history photo book geared towards middle schoolers
gift certificates to buy new bigger bikes at after christmas sales
yarn and pattern book for knitter

seems like a lot but not much to put under the tree.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 10:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
That sounds like enough stuff, actually.

This year, my 12 year old is getting two dolls, a nerf bow and arrows, headphones, and a bunch of drawing books. The drawing books are pretty specific and complicated, and she knew exactly what she wanted. I will probably get her some sketch books too because she goes through them pretty quick.

My 9 year old is getting five dolls, two sets of doll furniture, and a nerf bow and darts.

We don't give clothes as presents, and both girls got new bikes during the year because we ride every day for PE. One of the girls got a tablet last Christmas, and the other got a tablet to replace one she broke this summer.

One thing that your daughter who knits might like is a round knitting loom...my sister got a set at Walmart and she's been making cute bags. She suggested I get the knitting loom for my kids, but they don't have the focus to finish projects like that at this point.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:28 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Sounds like plenty to me.

When I was 12 all I really wanted was books so maybe some books?

Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Cool backpacks and purses with lots of pockets. But I think you've done great for them already
I made things for my little cousin when she was that age. Decoupaged a box and picture frame in the colors she wanted to decorate her room in. She loved it - really did not expect her to. I was just bored one day. Lol

Old 12-12-2014, 03:06 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
Wauw that is a lot, my daughter is now 9. Most what she likes is Lego so I bought one huge box and also some stuff for the school like a new lunch box a bag some trousers and some tops. But my daughter is really in to fashion she likes nail polish , make up sets and stuff also books. She reads a lot. Honestly you have bought enough. Tell them Santa has credit crisis too.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:28 AM

Thanks. You reminded me I put away some writing books for my writer. I'll have to find them and I like the nerf sports items. Toys r Us I'm guessing? On their christmas list they put some different balls, soccer, bouncy, and one of those really big balls to roll around on. I forgot about those and they will make a presence under the tree. Yeah..I do have enough. I'll put new tooth brushes, hairclips, deodorant (silly I know) in their stocking along with some candy and pack of pencils. I always feel like I don't have enough. Wish they still played with dolls...

Old 12-12-2014, 08:44 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
I think your gifts sound great.

My daughter is just about to turn 12 and she is not that easy to buy for any more either. It's especially hard because her birthday is right before Christmas, so we have to buy two sets of gifts! She wanted some cute T-shirts and a backpack from Etsy; books; gift cards for some of her favorite shops so she can pick out clothes--how right you are that they don't want what we would choose for them; nail polish and toiletries like body wash and lotion.

I was sad when she outgrew her American Girl dolls. She is still interested in some fashion dolls but she mostly just likes to make clothes for them. She already has a sewing machine. Crafty things are good if girls are interested in something in particular. My daughter likes to knit and decorate cakes, but already has enough supplies for both. She wants a stand mixer--$300, not happening unless her grandparents decide to chip in.

Thank goodness for gift cards!

Old 12-12-2014, 09:07 AM

Good heavens. I'm 68 and got my first standmixer-Kitchen Aid with all the bells and whistles- only 2 years ago. I had been using a $30 hand held for over 35 years!.

I made them full aprons which they love and they have lots of cookbooks geared towards kids. I think kid sized kitchen tools are a waste of money. And anything for the kitchen would basically be for me even though they like to help in the kitchen.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:18 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,366 times
I agree - I think you've done well for Christmas.

I'm surprised they don't like jewely yet - my 9-year-old is just starting to ask for necklaces and things.

I'll second the books recommendation.

My mom has started giving the older girls "gift days". She picks them up from school, takes them shopping at whatever clothing store they want to go to, buys them whatever they want (that is within the budget agreed on upfront), then takes them out to dinner. The stuff gets wrapped up and put under the tree. Even though they know what is in the boxes, they still thank her for the time and get all excited showing everyone else what they got.

My grandmother used to do the same thing with my sister and I when we were teens. Great memories

Old 12-12-2014, 10:25 AM

241 posts, read 543,572 times
How about "experience" gifts? Gift certificates to the movies, or some other sort of place they might enjoy visiting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting