Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:44 PM

158 posts, read 215,838 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I be visiting NYC shortly with my 5 year old. There's no way I'm going to get to see everything I want to see, & I want her to see if 'little legs' walks.
I think I may need to purchase a lightweight easy & quick to fold stroller. Or do you think this will be a bit of overkill?
I've never been to NYC before & plan to pack as much as possible into 6 days. She's not a great walker.
We plan on using the subway system a lot.

Do you think it's necessary to have a stroller? or will it just be a pain in the bum?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 10:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I think it would be smart. The sidewalks in NYC are generally crowded, and people move fast. It would be easier for you, and probably safer for your child to be in a stroller. Just get a lightweight umbrella type that will be easy to fold up for the subway rides.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybeach View Post
Hi,
I be visiting NYC shortly with my 5 year old. There's no way I'm going to get to see everything I want to see, & I want her to see if 'little legs' walks.
I think I may need to purchase a lightweight easy & quick to fold stroller. Or do you think this will be a bit of overkill?
I've never been to NYC before & plan to pack as much as possible into 6 days. She's not a great walker.
We plan on using the subway system a lot.

Do you think it's necessary to have a stroller? or will it just be a pain in the bum?
Thanks!
Both. This is a tough one, because 5 is really too old for a stroller, IMO, but you just can't expect a kid that age to be able to walk so long and so far. It's really not fair to her. They get exhausted and cranky, you get irritated, and it's no fun for anyone.

I think this is one case where I would consider making an exception and would allow a small umbrella stroller. Either that, or you have to consider compromising and cutting things off your list if you are going to have her with you the entire time.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:26 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Get a stroller. The subway system is excellent but I doubt you'll use it that much and miss out on all the sites you went to see that are above-ground.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:17 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Unless you can carry her (what I always did visiting Chicago with my light weight daughter), get a umbrella stroller.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:31 AM

158 posts, read 215,838 times
Carrying her would be great, as I'm really going to miss my gym sessions, but I don't want to turn up everywhere sweaty!! lol. She's 20kg's!
By the sounds of it we'll have to pick up a stroller. We don't have one here, obviously bt in order to get the most out of our holidays I think we'll want one.
Actually it'll be good when we need to go out again at night for dinner.

Can you suggest where I can buy one? Babies are us comes to mind..

I'll donate it when we leave the US.

Thanks for clarifying that I'll need one.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:42 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Yes, you can easily pick up one at a baby store or large retail store. You can go extremely cheap (around $20 USD), or you can spend more. I would suggest getting a nice middle of the road one that has good rubber tires that rotate fully. I think mine was around $50.

Enjoy the trip!

Old 03-16-2015, 07:34 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,013,634 times
5 yr old is big enough to walk. If kid is tired sit somewhere drink some juice. My daughter walked all over the Berlin when she was 2. I stopped using stroller when she started walking. Well it is your choice here people would ask what is wrong with the kid if they see 5 yr old sitting in a stroller. As you say she is not a good walker that mean she used to sit in a stroller all the time. And they are pretty much for the babies and kids who cannot walk yet don't you think? well that is me. My brother always carried his kids on his shoulder cannot you?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:48 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Check weight limits. I doubt a regular umbrella stroller can hold a 20 kilo 5 year old.

I was going to say "no" she's too big to be pushed in a stroller, but I haven't tried to do a big city like that with a 5 year old, so I don't really know.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:09 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
5 yr old is big enough to walk. If kid is tired sit somewhere drink some juice. My daughter walked all over the Berlin when she was 2. I stopped using stroller when she started walking. Well it is your choice here people would ask what is wrong with the kid if they see 5 yr old sitting in a stroller. As you say she is not a good walker that mean she used to sit in a stroller all the time. And they are pretty much for the babies and kids who cannot walk yet don't you think? well that is me. My brother always carried his kids on his shoulder cannot you?
Yes 5 years old is big enough to walk. Most 1 yr olds can walk too. Have you been to NYC? Long blocks, and very crowded sidewalks. I'd far rather enjoy the trip knowing my child was also enjoying it, rather than hurrying her along as she began to tire. And I sure as heck wouldn't want to carry a 5 yr old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting