Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

I've only just skimmed through post #40. If I'm being repetitious, I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I feel its really weird that i have to beg my mother to give me money for a higher education. Thats something i should be getting without asking? Why do I feel neglected? Am i overreacting? Im moving to New York City for a higher learning. To improve myself and surround myself people i can look up to. I kind of understand she makes $28,000 a year ( which is just downright pathetic but whatev). I feel like crap asking but its like she doesn't even care? Like isn't that the main reason why you become a parent? Because you have the capabilities to prepare a human being for the world ahead of them. I just feel like she hasn't given me the skills to actually make a decent living. Iv'e Brought this up her not giving what i need to succeed before and all she has to say is " Well I fed you?" As if food in my stomach ensures spontaneous abundance of riches and success ( which it totally doesn't by the way). I guess i shouldn't complain because i had a home warm food and a bath to clean myself. But at the same time how does that help me long term?? I was brought up on a strict household. There was total blockage from the outside world. Cleaning. Thats the extent of my knowledge. How to do dishes. How to clean the bathroom. How to cut grass. How to fold blankets. She was SO CONVINCED on teaching me about what goes on inside the house she neglected to properly inform me about life outside . I just don't want to end up like her and i don't see why she doesn't see that. I know i need to go back to school ( and i will) i just want some help from the one person thats helped me with everything else. So the question is?? Are parents qualified as a parent when they don't prepare their children from the outside world??
The first think to do is get over this beef with your mother. Then you can work on all your other problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
10 years from now you will look back at this thread and be profoundly embarrassed. Or at least, you should.
I should hope so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:21 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Fill out a FAFSA. Your mother does not have a high enough income to support you through college, which means that you will likely qualify for extensive financial aid.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Fill out a FAFSA. Your mother does not have a high enough income to support you through college, which means that you will likely qualify for extensive financial aid.
But the OP needs to move on this. He's already 22, and he won't benefit from FAFSA income considerations forever. For the 2015-16 school year students must be born after 1/1/92 to have their parents' income counted.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:55 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But the OP needs to move on this. He's already 22, and he won't benefit from FAFSA income considerations forever. For the 2015-16 school year students must be born after 1/1/92 to have their parents' income counted.
Since he hasn't indicated he has a job and definitely doesn't make $28,000 a year himself, I doubt applying with just his info would give him less aid.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Since he hasn't indicated he has a job and definitely doesn't make $28,000 a year himself, I doubt applying with just his info would give him less aid.
Good point, but I'm not sure. I've reread his posts, and it doesn't appear as though he's currently in school. So, he's planning on going to community college for two years (good idea), and then transferring. He'll be at least 24, maybe 25 by then, which puts him in the non-traditional student category for most schools. While there are scholarships for both older students and transfers, they are not as plentiful, and require both a great GPA and some effort on the part of the OP to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting