Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:49 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times

Advertisements

My best friend's 33 year old daughter has a two year old boy and his parents have never cut his hair.

My friend says that she and her other daughter have talked to his mom about this as they have some concerns, rightly placed or not, with how this child will be received now that he is going to daycare and is among other children.

The mom does not seem to see this as an issue and seemingly has no plans to cut it.

Now I have seen this little boy on Facebook and his blonde, straight hair is quite long, about 6-8 inches below his chin and jawline. It is usually dishelveled, sometimes clipped back and up with barettes, and recently formed into a ''top knot'' on the crown of his head.

I am as open-minded as they come, but I feel sorry for the kid and think it looks ridiculous. And so does grandma, aunts, and grandpa and they worry about the child's self-esteem and how other kids will react at daycare. He definitely looks like a little grungy girl.

If he ''chose'' this style for himself as an older kid I feel it would one thing. But to put him out there among playmates looking this is another. But the mom won't budge, for whatever reason.

What do you all think? Is it a non-issue? Are we old fogies just not ''hip enough''? Grandma wanted me to ask CD because she is quite concerned, so have at it and please tell us what you think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 10:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Sorry Grandma, it should only be the decision of the mother. The other kids won't care. At all. My sons all got their first hair cuts at 3, and even then I hated to do it. They didn't have straight hair though, just gorgeous blond curls.

BTW, David Beckham has popularized that top knot look recently.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:22 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
It is just hair. Just hair.

In the big picture of life, hair is a non-issue.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:24 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Sorry Grandma, it should only be the decision of the mother. The other kids won't care. At all. My sons all got their first hair cuts at 3, and even then I hated to do it. They didn't have straight hair though, just gorgeous blond curls.

BTW, David Beckham has popularized that top knot look recently.
^^^this.

Several of the young men at my youngest's university wear their hair in top knots. They look quite dashing.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:52 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,844 times
It's completely a non-issue......I know boys that are age 5 and up that have never had more than a trim. ...sometimes they wear it in a pony taIL or top knot.

This is what ya'll are worrying about?

Old 09-05-2015, 11:12 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
Well, good to know we-and I am not the grandma, my friend is-are just naive and ''out of touch'' as it plays out.
Though I am from the ''hippie'', not ''hipster'' generation, I still think the top knot look is stupid.
That said, I am also not of the ''pc generation'', so I say what I think, not what I think others want to hear.
We can all rest easy here in ''old fogeyville''...the kid is only two and is already assimilated into the latest fashion and rave!
I'll pass the word on to the rest of the fretting friends and family...not to worry, not to worry!
LOL

Old 09-05-2015, 11:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,424 times
My POV: if she asks your opinion, advise that she check to see what other kids his age have, and have his similar. Kids don't need to be held out as 'different.'

Mine had long hair at that age, too, but wasn't in daycare/preK.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:33 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,893 times
Seriously?? This is definitely a mind-your-own issue. If the kid is fed, healthy, clean, safe and loved then leave the mom alone. The fact you or anyone else, think it looks stupid is irrelevant. And the kids at school won't care, because they won't know that they should.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:01 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Well, good to know we-and I am not the grandma, my friend is-are just naive and ''out of touch'' as it plays out.
Though I am from the ''hippie'', not ''hipster'' generation, I still think the top knot look is stupid.
That said, I am also not of the ''pc generation'', so I say what I think, not what I think others want to hear.
We can all rest easy here in ''old fogeyville''...the kid is only two and is already assimilated into the latest fashion and rave!
I'll pass the word on to the rest of the fretting friends and family...not to worry, not to worry!
LOL
You can say what you think....but thankfully no one has to agree with you...that has nothing to do with bring PC....you are just being judgemental on things that no longer matter.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:33 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,568 times
There is a boy in Louisiana that is trying to grow the world's longest hair (about 20 feet) & if he can grow it long enough to get in the Guinness Book of World Records, then he will get it cut & give it to someplace like Locks of Love (to make wigs for cancer patients). He's about 11-12 & last I saw his pic his hair was past his shoulders. The school kicked him out, but the boy & his mother put a long hair freedom petition online & got a huge number of signatures. He liked to have his hair hanging down in front. So the school said if he would pull it back, they would let him back in. So that happened.

Obviously, the boy & his mother have plenty of self-confidence. I really do think we are in a time where most people can decide more about their appearance than what would have been accepted in the past. A local paper did an article about boys with long hair. They found a 9 year old boy who has never had his hair cut. Hair can become something like a favorite possession, & some just like to watch it keep growing. A 4 year old boy down south got thrown out of preschool for long hair. Again, people complained online, so the school let him back in. Hair length not an issue with other kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting