Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:48 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times

Advertisements

My daughter's 2nd grade teacher allows them to snack in class throughout the day. They can't bring in junk and it can't be distracting to others, but aside from that, they have a green light to eat whenever they feel hungry.

The ground rules I have set with my daughter is that I will only send one snack per day and it must be healthy.

I don't worry about the additional calorie consumption because she is very petite (actually a bit underweight) and has a small appetite; what I am not sure I like is the message it sends that it's okay to sit around and eat while you are engaged in other tasks and/or are bored. She has already asked to have snacks while she does her required nightly reading and I remind her that's not allowed at home.

Does anyone else have kids allowed to eat in their classroom and what do you think of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:52 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My daughter's 2nd grade teacher allows them to snack in class throughout the day. They can't bring in junk and it can't be distracting to others, but aside from that, they have a green light to eat whenever they feel hungry.

The ground rules I have set with my daughter is that I will only send one snack per day and it must be healthy.

I don't worry about the additional calorie consumption because she is very petite (actually a bit underweight) and has a small appetite; what I am not sure I like is the message it sends that it's okay to sit around and eat while you are engaged in other tasks and/or are bored. She has already asked to have snacks while she does her required nightly reading and I remind her that's not allowed at home.

Does anyone else have kids allowed to eat in their classroom and what do you think of it?
It sends the message that you should eat when you are hungry. It also sends the message that while there are classroom rules those rules do not have to be arbitrary. I think it makes a lot of sense for kids to be allowed to eat healthy food when they are hungry as long as they do not disturb others.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:53 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
My daughter's 2nd grade class gets snack time at around 9:45. At her school, Kinder was always allowed a snack to help them get used to the schedule. No snacks were in any other grades. Since her grade has moved up, the teachers continue to allow snack as the kids complain "but we had snack last year..."

I think the pattern needs to stop. It's not like they're eating lunch at 1pm.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
My daughter's 2nd grade class gets snack time at around 9:45. At her school, Kinder was always allowed a snack to help them get used to the schedule. No snacks were in any other grades. Since her grade has moved up, the teachers continue to allow snack as the kids complain "but we had snack last year..."

I think the pattern needs to stop. It's not like they're eating lunch at 1pm.
The issue my son had was that lunch was super early (10:30) and school didn't get out until 2. The younger kids have small stomachs and that is a long time for them to go without food. They had snack time in the afternoon in the lower grades.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:01 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The issue my son had was that lunch was super early (10:30) and school didn't get out until 2. The younger kids have small stomachs and that is a long time for them to go without food. They had snack time in the afternoon in the lower grades.
My son's pre-k class has lunch at 10:45 and gets snack at 9:30... I don't understand why they need a snack an hour before lunch... School is out at 2:45, and both kids are in extended care, so they get a snack immediately after school.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:06 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
My older child, 4th grade, is allowed to get his snack when ever he wants to eat it in the day. But, oddly, he doesn't ever choose to bring one. He loves snacks. So I don't know why

I think it could backfire for some kids if the parents sent several snacks. Non-intuitive eaters could have a problem. Intuitive eaters would do well with it.

I think it's up to the parents to make sure they are sending the right type and amount of snacks. Last year I used to send a whole bag of snacks, healthy stuff. Because they could snack pretty much any time and they were in aftercare so they were starving when I picked them up.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
I can understand the reason for a snack time, but I'm not a fan of mindless grazing all day. Separating true hunger from boredom eating is an important component of maintaining a healthy weight.

Sometimes my kids were scheduled for the 10:15 lunch, and sometimes the 1:30 slot. Both scenarios made for long periods without any food unless there was a dedicated snack time.

But I'm curious about the teacher's rationale behind letting them eat all day long. And, what snack foods are appropriate?
I'm trying to think of things that don't crunch, smell, or make crumbs, and are considered healthy.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
I can see how depending on the child's scheduled lunch time, they might be get very hungry in the am (if they have a late lunch) or pm (if they have an early lunch). In my daughter's case, her lunch period is from 11:35 to 12:05, which is perfect for a school day that runs from 8-3.

I presume the teacher had previous experience with hungry kids and decided that allowing them to eat when and if they wanted was preferable.

And maybe it's just me, but one of the first things that came to mind about this was the potential mess it makes in the classroom. I have to assume that either that it not the case, or just that the teacher is unconcerned about it.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:15 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
We had snacks allowed one year when my son's lunch was at 1pm with an 8:30 start time. But it was during one set class period, not all throughout the day.

I do find that surprising.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:23 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I can understand the reason for a snack time, but I'm not a fan of mindless grazing all day. Separating true hunger from boredom eating is an important component of maintaining a healthy weight.

Sometimes my kids were scheduled for the 10:15 lunch, and sometimes the 1:30 slot. Both scenarios made for long periods without any food unless there was a dedicated snack time.

But I'm curious about the teacher's rationale behind letting them eat all day long. And, what snack foods are appropriate?
I'm trying to think of things that don't crunch, smell, or make crumbs, and are considered healthy.
Yup, what this person ^ said. Kids can start to confuse actual hunger with boredom.

Second, when my oldest was in K., the teacher had this 'brilliant idea' that children should have 'refreshments' less than an hour before lunchtime. Not surprising the kids didn't have much appetite for lunch. And the teacher was an older woman who had previously been a P.E. teacher.

One thing that occurred to me, also, was when kids/parents didn't place so much emphasis on snacks/snacking, there was less obesity. My POV: maybe it'd be o.k. for a high schooler to have a pack of peanutbutter crackers or something in his/her backpack, but other than that I think snacking is not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting