Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:57 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
It seems like most people I have met who only had one child didn't do it by choice. My aunt was told that after she had her first that she wouldn't physically be able to have anymore or it could kill her. One of my friends is an only child. He seems quite bitter that his parents only had him and didnt have any other kids because it puts pressure on him to have grandchildren plus he is gay so he feels guilty about that. I told him that his parents may not have deliberately chose to only have him .....maybe his mom couldn't get pregnant again. It is not always easy to get pregnant. Did you deliberately choose just to have one child or were you just not physically able to have more and thats why you only had one? I have rarely met anyone who said they only want one child unless they are past their 40s once they had the first and only child. Plus it seems like it is really tough for someone to be an only child . I don't know too many only children who enjoy it.
I've wondered over the years about this very question. I've known of couples who only had one single child . . . and then there are those in the public eye whom we all know who only had one child (e.g., Bill & Hillary Clinton). And I've wondered "Why?" Didn't they want to give their chid one or more siblings? Or was there a physiological problem on the part of one or both parents? Or was it economically driven? Or did they decide that one was all they could psychologically handle or have the energy for? Or what other reason(s)? Or did they not consider adoption if there was a physiological problem preventing them from having any more biological children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:31 PM

11 posts, read 7,788 times
I kind of wrecked my mother's uterus coming out, so I'm the reason she couldn't have any more children. I had MUCH older brothers and sisters who were all close to graduating high school when I was born, so I was essentially an only child because I grew up without them. She did adopt later though.

I am definitely the reason my mother quit having kids. If I had been the first, I would have been the only one.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:31 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I had only one child and, yes, that was by choice.

She passed away when she was 18 years old, and many people have asked me if I regretted not having more. It surprised them all when I answered, "No." Another child would not have made up for her. Therefore, I made the right decision.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:03 PM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
Me and my husband are only going to have one. I'm sure we could handle more, but financially we can really only support one child as I would like to stay at home when they are younger.
Even once we are both working again we both agreed we would rather have money to have provide wants(within reason of course), take trips, and offer what is needed.
We both came from childhoods where sometimes what was needed couldn't be afforded.
In addition we don't want the DH to have a crazy commute, so it basically locks us into 3 bedrooms based on ours careers and we need an office/playroom/guest room.

We also plan on adopting, which is expensive and not covered by insurance, so there is that too.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:03 AM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
I wanted more than 1, but DH made me wait so long to have a baby that I was lucky to have any.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:43 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
Wasn't really a choice... at least not one we put much thought into. More like circumstances dictated that we could/would have only one.

1. Started a bit late

2. Wife had a bit of a difficult pregnancy

3. Child was hospitalized for the first two months... seeing docs for the first year (that kinda scared the beejeesus out of us!)

4. Got busy with life and jobs and moving

5. Moved back to Asia. Its really expensive flying back and forth between the US east coast and Asia

Old 11-10-2015, 07:12 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,864,874 times
My mom wanted to have another child but my dad had a procedure done so he couldn't have any more kids. I hated growing up as an only child. It was lonely at times especially when all of my friends had siblings they were close to. I myself would like to have 3-5 kids. I'd do anything to avoid my kids growing up being a lonely only like me. It isn't right to deny your child a sibling.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
My mom wanted to have another child but my dad had a procedure done so he couldn't have any more kids. I hated growing up as an only child. It was lonely at times especially when all of my friends had siblings they were close to. I myself would like to have 3-5 kids. I'd do anything to avoid my kids growing up being a lonely only like me. It isn't right to deny your child a sibling.
You were lonely because you choose to be lonely or your parents choose not to provide you with social outlets. Chances are you'd have the same issues if you had siblings because they are no garentee of not being lonely.

Stop blaming bring an only child on that...because not every only feels that way....some of can't imagine having siblings.....but we don't go around telling people with them how miserable they must be.

No parents is required to have multiple children.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:55 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
This actually came up the other day with my only. I happened to mention that sometimes I wished he had gotten to be a big brother. His response was no way! he was very happy with the way things were. I'm sure he would have been fine with a sibling and of course he wouldn't have known different, but he's clearly not unhappy being an only child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting