Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Speak for yourself! When young my daughter was out of control and would run out into the street and get into lots of other things. Time out and taking away toys didn't do anything so I did spank, not terribly often but it certainly changed her mind. Spare the rod spoil the child!
Funny attitude for someone whose name is PeaceAndLove...

Why weren't you watching your daughter more closely? If anyone should have been hit for letting her get in the street it was you. You were the adult who fully appreciated the danger and were in charge of letting your daughter have access to a dangerous situation.

The same is true of the mother in this video. If you can't keep your 10-year-old from getting expelled, you suck as a mother. The mom should hire someone to give her (the mom) a beating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 09:14 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Sigh. Another I had to hit my kid thread. Why won't people THINK? How do you feel when someone hits YOU? That motivates you to stay out of the road because ... what? Pain from your parent? What does it teach you about the road at 2 years old? Not a damned thing. Yes you eventually figure out that cars can kill you because kids are not morons. But what does it teach the kid about self esteem, which we KNOW teens need to prevent all kinds of bad teen behaviors? What does it teach kids about competency? THEIR competency? What does it teach kids about SELF control? Not a damned thing. There are good resources out their for learning how to raise responsible, confident young adults with character. I know. I sought them when facing a badly behaved toddler. Why won't people seek out information? Education? Instead they just create another generation of *******s.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:18 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
From the sounds of things, the mother resents anyone telling her what to do. Perhaps the kid does as well.

If they are bringing the kid home in handcuffs, perhaps she was expelled for an altercation that involved hitting someone. Wonder where she picked that up?

"I whoop her and whoop her and she still gets into fights."

One of life's mysteries, eh?

Old 10-16-2015, 10:40 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Sigh. Another I had to hit my kid thread. Why won't people THINK? How do you feel when someone hits YOU? That motivates you to stay out of the road because ... what? Pain from your parent? What does it teach you about the road at 2 years old? Not a damned thing. Yes you eventually figure out that cars can kill you because kids are not morons. But what does it teach the kid about self esteem, which we KNOW teens need to prevent all kinds of bad teen behaviors? What does it teach kids about competency? THEIR competency? What does it teach kids about SELF control? Not a damned thing. There are good resources out their for learning how to raise responsible, confident young adults with character. I know. I sought them when facing a badly behaved toddler. Why won't people seek out information? Education? Instead they just create another generation of *******s.
If this is how people think these days I surely hope that the end of the world is coming soon...like today

Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 AM

And where is the OP? She should be chiming in on this or did she just want to start another bashing heads spanking thread?

Old 10-16-2015, 10:52 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Speak for yourself! When young my daughter was out of control and would run out into the street and get into lots of other things. Time out and taking away toys didn't do anything so I did spank, not terribly often but it certainly changed her mind. Spare the rod spoil the child!
The phrase "spare the rod and spoil the child" is often incorrectly attributed to the Christian Bible. It does not appear there. It was first written in a poem by Samuel Butler in 1664.

Strange that so many don't know that the rod referred to in the Bible usually means the rod or staff that shepherds used to guide their sheep. "Thy rod and thy staff comfort me," remember? Shepherds use a rod/staff to guide their sheep, nudge them in the direction they want them to go. Can you imagine the mayhem that would result from from beating the sheep with it?

It is a parent's job to keep their children from running into the street until they are old enough to know better. You keep them enclosed in a fenced yard. You hold on to their hand.

I worked in a teen detention unit for several years. Everyone there had received regular spankings if not outright beatings. It was a rare parent who spoke about how they used time-outs or distraction or positive reinforcement... to teach their children to behave. I saw no evidence that hitting kids works long term and plenty evidence that it resulted in kids full of rage and resentment.

One of the reason that some people struggle to rise up in the world is that their social skills are so limited. When faced with a problem, they want to beat others into submission. How often is that effective between adults?

Our job is not to beat our kids into submission, but to help them learn to be effective, productive adults.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If this is how people think these days I surely hope that the end of the world is coming soon...like today
Ah, the rapture. Can I have your pets?

Old 10-16-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The phrase "spare the rod and spoil the child" is often incorrectly attributed to the Christian Bible. It does not appear there. It was first written in a poem by Samuel Butler in 1664.

Strange that so many don't know that the rod referred to in the Bible usually means the rod or staff that shepherds used to guide their sheep. "Thy rod and thy staff comfort me," remember? Shepherds use a rod/staff to guide their sheep, nudge them in the direction they want them to go. Can you imagine the mayhem that would result from from beating the sheep with it?

It is a parent's job to keep their children from running into the street until they are old enough to know better. You keep them enclosed in a fenced yard. You hold on to their hand.

I worked in a teen detention unit for several years. Everyone there had received regular spankings if not outright beatings. It was a rare parent who spoke about how they used time-outs or distraction or positive reinforcement... to teach their children to behave. I saw no evidence that hitting kids works long term and plenty evidence that it resulted in kids full of rage and resentment.

One of the reason that some people struggle to rise up in the world is that their social skills are so limited. When faced with a problem, they want to beat others into submission. How often is that effective between adults?

Our job is not to beat our kids into submission, but to help them learn to be effective, productive adults.
If ones child is a darling little angel that never misbehaves or does anything wrong then there will be no spankings. However until such child exists for every single parent then spankings will happen if the parents decide such action is warranted.

How about all you no-spank parents/supporters worry about yourselves?

Oh, and you might want to check out Proverbs 13:24

Old 10-16-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If ones child is a darling little angel that never misbehaves or does anything wrong then there will be no spankings. However until such child exists for every single parent then spankings will happen if the parents decide such action is warranted.

How about all you no-spank parents/supporters worry about yourselves?
Because we care about the kids of jerks? Because jerks are part of our society and we have to deal with them?

Anyway to anyone who is interested in learning to parent without jerkiness:

Vicki Hoefle | Parent Educator, Speaker and Author

Old 10-16-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Because we care about the kids of jerks? Because jerks are part of our society and we have to deal with them?

Anyway to anyone who is interested in learning to parent without jerkiness:

Vicki Hoefle | Parent Educator, Speaker and Author
If you care about those kids out there then get together and adopt all of those kids in foster care, all those homeless kids, all of those suspected mistreated out there....but no, you wont. Youll just sit there trying to make everyone parent YOUR way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting