Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 03:08 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,914,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
It is totally the parent's fault. They left a gun accessible to a child. This has been happening more and more and will only get worse.

Boy accused of fatally shooting girl over puppy - CNN.com

The kid is unlikely mentally ill. Kids act rashly because that part of their brain doesn't finish developing until a person is in their mid 20s. Even if he is old enough to technically know right from wrong in a moment of anger they don't have the thought process to understand the full gravity of their actions.

For me, I could never disown my child no matter what they did. I would still love them even though I don't like or even hate their actions, but they will always be mine. This man's entire family was killed by his son, but he forgave him and still visits him in prison.

Murder in the Family: 'I Wanted Them Dead' - ABC News
1000s of occurrences a day and escalating. Parents are surrendering their firearms to their kids out of fear.

Parents will be in concentration camps overseen by minors before we know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 03:13 PM

651 posts, read 418,523 times
We ought to know the causes of the boy's act. Is it an accident or revenge or hooliganism?
But we must help the boy to correct his mistake or crime in any case. 13-years boy can yet become a good citizen to 18 years. And his parents hadn't to accuse him but help.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:12 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,649,172 times
I really have a problem with parents in denial. Not my baby. Give me a break. The kids a bad seed. Throw him in jail and throw away the key. I would be the last one to defend my son doing something crazy like killing someone. Do something stupid then pay the price.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:33 PM

649 posts, read 572,542 times
There is nothing that my children could do that would make me cut them out of my life. Even if my kid were a psycho killer I would still be there for them even if it meant visiting them in prison. I wouldn't defend their actions and I definitely wouldn't help cover up their crimes but I'm their mother regardless.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:49 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,837,736 times
I would feel extremely sad, both for my own child, and for the child whose life was lost. I would expect them to be punished (serve time).

I don't think you can blame parents for this kind of stuff. Anyone who has several kids knows that all kids are different. You can have 1 set of parents, 3 or 4 kids, and have several successful kids, and some who struggle. I think it's a combination of biology, and how you are raised. But unless you did something horrible to your kids, how can you possibly MAKE someone a murderer?

I think parents get unfairly blamed for just about everything anymore.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,066,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
However, maybe if someone was home raising the kid and knowing where he was, what he was doing, who he was doing it with, where the guns were, whether he was doing drugs, etc, this situation could have been avoided.
In this case, I do blame the parents.

Lack of parental supervision secondary to chasing the almighty dollar gets zero respect from me.
Are you a friend of the family? I'm trying to figure out how else you would know so much about these people.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,228,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
There is nothing that my children could do that would make me cut them out of my life. Even if my kid were a psycho killer I would still be there for them even if it meant visiting them in prison. I wouldn't defend their actions and I definitely wouldn't help cover up their crimes but I'm their mother regardless.
That is the same way that I feel.

PS. I do not allow guns in my home. But, if I did they would always be locked securely in a gun case that my child/teen did not have access to. Those parents are partly to blame for allowing their child to have access to a loaded gun.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:19 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,390,257 times
You can be a genius all your life, and yet be unbelievably stupid for just one moment.

And if there's artillery around, the consequences can come fast and heavy before the brain kicks in.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:41 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,980,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Locally, there's a story about a 13yo kid who killed a 16yo over weed. He rode by on his bicycle and shot the kid in the neck.

No mental illness, lived in a decent neighborhood, had two working parents that we assume did everything they could for their kids.
?
If you murder somebody, you are mentally ill, period. A sane person would not kill a kid over weed. It's not meth.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:32 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,267,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
If you murder somebody, you are mentally ill, period. A sane person would not kill a kid over weed. It's not meth.
It's the same as road rage. A seemingly sane person goes crazy and causes serious injuries, in a fit of rage, because of too much frustration and a perception of being challenged by a jerk. It's how our ancestors acted before we evolved to become human. If it were insanity, why would so many do it? It's temporary insanity, but they usually get over it and feel guilty about it. OJ was probably the same way when he killed his ex wife. After he did it, he was probably shocked that he did it. 99.9% of the time he was civilized, and became popular and wealthy, by being good at sports, and doing TV commercials, etc. But in one brief fit of rage, everything changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting