Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 10:49 AM

169 posts, read 130,294 times

Advertisements

I'm still single and have no kids yet but I work with so many married people. Besides we work with documents with many names every day, I see names old and names new.

I sometimes imagine the trouble my clients & co-workers went trough having to name their kids.

If I had to take part in naming my children, I'd run into trouble. First, I like so many names that it would be impossible to chose as I'll feel I'll miss the name so to say. On the other hand I seem to always default to names of people I've known - former classmates, childhood friends, favourite teachers or celebrities, relatives alive or not, and even the name of one of the first girls I fell for (my most remembered puppy love).

So I'd like to ask if there are really people who have named their child after a (former) co-worker, teacher, friend or even childhood gf/bf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 11:02 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
No, not any of those for me. I would think most name their kids after a family member or someone who inspired and was meaningful to them and their life. And I am sure there are some who just have a name they like for whatever reason.

It really should be a fun exercise rather than an agonizing one.

Naming a kid after a co-worker or childhood gf/bf, etc.? What?

Old 07-15-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
No, not any of those for me. I would think most name their kids after a family member or someone who inspired and was meaningful to them and their life. And I am sure there are some who just have a name they like for whatever reason.
So you're saying yu were never inspired or had a meaningful teacher, coworker, friend, ex lover? That's sad.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:24 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcoolm View Post
So you're saying yu were never inspired or had a meaningful teacher, coworker, friend, ex lover? That's sad.
I haven't, and that is more normal than naming your kid after a coworker or ex lover.

The closest on your list is a teacher but I would think that most people have been more inspired by otehr historical figures. I'm sure there are plenty that had good (and bad) teachers (I Know I have) but they really don't come close to naming a child after someone like a grandfather/grandmother who tore up roots in the old country and came here for a new life and strived and struggled in order for their future family members (who they may have never met) to have the opportunity for a better life.

Isn't that a better story than "I Names you Johnny because that's who I went to the prom with" of "I names you Sylvia because she was a really hot and popular girl in school and although she was completely out of my league, I managed to go on 4 whole dates with her!" or "I names you Paul because I worked with a guy named Paul who taught me SQL, which landed me a job making 30% more".

Edit - you'll understand when you are older and it is more real and meaningful to you and you will look back at your question as foolishness.
Edit#2 - besides, didn't you call your teachers Mr. and Ms.? So are you going to name your daughter Ms. Clark? Lol.

Whatever OP - to each their own, do what you want. But you will likely think differntly about this when you have matured and actually are on your way to having a child. Why not name your kid Latrine...it sounds nice if you don't know what it is, like a French name.

Best of luck.

Last edited by G-fused; 07-15-2021 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-15-2021, 11:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
I'm still single and have no kids yet but I work with so many married people. Besides we work with documents with many names every day, I see names old and names new.

I sometimes imagine the trouble my clients & co-workers went trough having to name their kids.

If I had to take part in naming my children, I'd run into trouble. First, I like so many names that it would be impossible to chose as I'll feel I'll miss the name so to say. On the other hand I seem to always default to names of people I've known - former classmates, childhood friends, favourite teachers or celebrities, relatives alive or not, and even the name of one of the first girls I fell for (my most remembered puppy love).

So I'd like to ask if there are really people who have named their child after a (former) co-worker, teacher, friend or even childhood gf/bf?
Probably not......because none of my friends are named the names I would like make personal.

For example, take Aja (Ah-JAh) Savannah Alexandre, a spy in one of my fantasies. Her name is not only a combination of names I like but also a sequence of 2-3-4 syllables.

So if I did name a child after a friend, it would be because they have the name I like, not for them......as it is, I have had a friend named Alexander.

But then again, there are names.....and there are pronouncations. Such as Aja, such as my name Savannah for it is pronouced more Russian than Western.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:34 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So if I did name a child after a friend, it would be because they have the name I like, not for them.
This. There are people who will name a baby after a beloved parent/grandparent/aunt or uncle, etc. even though they don't particularly love the name and would never have chosen it otherwise. The connection with the person and the idea of honoring him or her is more important.

Not many people would do that for a teacher. A dear lifetime friend, maybe, but most likely not. They would rather pick a name they like than one they're not crazy about just because it honors their teacher or friend.

It seems reasonable that a person likes are also the names they have good personal associations with. I suspect that is what is going on with the OP. However, it's more usual for people to avoid names that were popular in their own age group. Those of us who grew up in the 60s and 70s with lots of kids named Julie, Lisa, Todd and Jason did not name our own kids Julie, Lisa, Todd or Jason, no matter how good those friends had been. And don't forget that most people have a partner who has to agree on the name. It's usually not a unilateral choice where Dad or Mom gets to name the baby after a childhood crush.

In my own case, I have a child with the middle name Christine. I also have three close friends with the middle name Christine/Kristine, and that influenced my choice. I also seriously considered giving my other daughter the middle name Frances, which was the name of a close friend and co-worker. In both cases I also liked the names for their own sake, and the associations were a bonus, but I still would never have considered using them as first names.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It seems reasonable that a person likes are also the names they have good personal associations with. I suspect that is what is going on with the OP. However, it's more usual for people to avoid names that were popular in their own age group. Those of us who grew up in the 60s and 70s with lots of kids named Julie, Lisa, Todd and Jason did not name our own kids Julie, Lisa, Todd or Jason, no matter how good those friends had been. And don't forget that most people have a partner who has to agree on the name. It's usually not a unilateral choice where Dad or Mom gets to name the baby after a childhood crush.
This. I liked the name Mirella but after having a co-worker that wasn't so attractive and kinda too OCD (a typical accountant), I'd be wary to name my kid that. I don't like some modern names here though as they're too Anglo-sounding e.g. Nicole for a girl (the original local version is Nikoleta).

I actually don't care how a name would sound to Anglo speakers, English usually destroys names that originate in other languages. For ex. in most languages Christian/Kristian is pronounced Chris-tea-ahn, not the ugly Chris-chun. English also makes it hard to differentiate between Lena and Lina (Leh-nah and Lih-nah). I care more about names that appear in languages like German, Swedish, Hungarian and the Slavic group. I love names that appear in these cultures like Martin, T(h)eodora, Anton, Katia, Kristina/Kristian (I prefer K over C or Ch any time). Many are of Greek origin, but not all.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:34 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
This. I liked the name Mirella but after having a co-worker that wasn't so attractive and kinda too OCD (a typical accountant), I'd be wary to name my kid that. I don't like some modern names here though as they're too Anglo-sounding e.g. Nicole for a girl (the original local version is Nikoleta).

I actually don't care how a name would sound to Anglo speakers, English usually destroys names that originate in other languages. For ex. in most languages Christian/Kristian is pronounced Chris-tea-ahn, not the ugly Chris-chun. English also makes it hard to differentiate between Lena and Lina (Leh-nah and Lih-nah). I care more about names that appear in languages like German, Swedish, Hungarian and the Slavic group. I love names that appear in these cultures like Martin, T(h)eodora, Anton, Katia, Kristina/Kristian (I prefer K over C or Ch any time). Many are of Greek origin, but not all.
We-ll, you know .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1tHYx_sr6o
One time, a woman told me a story, on a list, of how she was talking in grade school class and the teacher called her "Debbie" to stop talking, but she did not. The teacher repeated 2 or three times and then came right up to her and asked her why she didn't stop talking when the teacher told her.

"Because my name is Deborah, not Debbie. ".

Old 07-15-2021, 02:28 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:

One of my kids has the name of a much loved relative in my family, the other is a Greek saint's name that just happens to be a portmanteau of my mother and my wife's mother's names, thus killing two birds with one stone as they say.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
There's a reason they're an EX lover. Just sayin.

No I would not name my child after a teacher, co-worker, or friend. A relative maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting