Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingutah View Post
Thank you! I sometimes wonder why I even post here.

It's a different world from even 10 years ago, some people get it some don't. They skype all the time and I intend to skype with him and her before I make a decision.
Then why come here to an open forum and ask the opinions of strangers, if you do not want those opinions.
If you were looking for only encouragement, you should have made that clear.

Personally....I would find another way....,even if you have to fly there with him...Why take this kind of risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am with you on that one. I have met up with some online friends. I have always found my own accommodations and rented a car just because I felt it would be safer and also if things were not as they appeared online I had an out.
Yes...but a teenager can't.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: delete
It's a different world from even 10 years ago, some people get it some don't. They skype all the time and I intend to skype with him and her before I make a decision.
Moderator cut: orphaned response

It sure is a different World from what it was 10 years ago. Its a lot worse. Using "Skype" as verification is a Joke. Ask the thousands of folks who get scammed by phone every year. Seems to me you already made your decision, so why bother. Stick him on a plane and hope for the best. Its not our kid your playing with, to be blunt. Good luck.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-15-2015 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 08:02 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
You understand that there aren't any more weirdos today than there used to be, right?

Just like there is no such thing as a "shark attack" outbreak. The media just latches on and overblows the story...
Our population increases every year. Those increases include the average Joe and the weirdos!

Actually, some shark issues have become outbreaks and weren't problems in the past. It wasn't the media blowing it out of proportion. Look into Chatham, Massachusetts on Cape Cod. No problems with sharks until a few years ago when all of a sudden they were coming practically onto the shore to eat seals. These were Great Whites....not little sharks. Beaches were closed. The Coast Guard posted so many signs. No media overblowing it.....no one wants to be eaten by a Great White.....well maybe a weirdo would.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think there are more. We don't (are not allowed to) lock them up in Institutions anymore UNTIL something horrible happens.
The weirdos have rights now.....can't just lock them away and throw away the key now. Many are released to go do weird, creepy, disgusting things again sadly.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I don't think anybody should fear the world. Every year many, many parents send their kids off to foreign countries to live with strangers as exchange students. Yes, the host families go through some sort of vetting process, but all that guarantees is that they haven't done anything illegal yet. It's a leap of faith for the adults, but a valuable experience for the kids.

If the OP's son wants to do this, then the parents should confirm the plans, and make certain he will be able to handle himself if something goes wrong. If the i's are dotted and the t's crossed, I'd let him go.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,512 times
Breck Bednar... Please please please read about him. Not 10 years ago but last year. As a mother myself I wouldn't feel safe without meeting these people in person.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:08 PM

483 posts, read 691,865 times
Strike another blow for someone who's met "Internet friends" in person, but I was a deal older. I feel like this one might be too young. Can't he wait and meet them when he's, say, enrolled in college? Other than the age issue I don't think it's a problem, but a few extra years would increase the likelihood they're non-creepy friends, as it's tough to keep up a super long term subterfuge.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:24 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Really?

Then how do they get to trial, and how do the predators get jail time?
Or is that all made up also?

I am fairly sure you (in Finland) do not know all that much about predators in America.
Did you hear about poor Jennifer Daugherty?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...ifer_Daugherty
Not all of them, of course there are some, but I doubt there are as many as there are horror stories.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:31 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
My 16 almost 17 yo son doesn't hang out with any friends in real life. He has friends he talks about from school, he has friends from work, but just doesn't care to hang out with them. He has friends online that he has been talking to for over a year. He spends most of his free time online laughing and playing games with friends. I posted earlier about this and most people reassured me there is nothing to be concerned about.

Here's my question...he wants to buy a plane ticket to fly to meet a friend he has know only online for quite sometime now, and spend a few days there. He will purchase the ticket himself. I was absolutely against it at first, but the more I thought about it the more I am actually considering it. I would definitely have a video chat with him and his mom first. He is a very responsible kid, good grades, has kept a job for almost 6 months now, his managers tell me what a great kid he is and he's very respectful. If this was your kid would you even consider this?? Please keep it real, I don't need any rude comments. It took a lot for me to even put this out here.
It is not safe to meet people you only know online. Period. Over the past years, I have heard of many people who ended up dead after doing so. Watch the news sometimes. Many of these who ended up dead were around 40 so age makes no difference. I have heard about at least two who ended up dead in the last year. There are a lot of nuts out there.

When I started posting on city-data my husband asked me to promise to never agree to meet anyone from here. I think I may have hurt some feelings but when you are talking about some things it is better to be safe than sorry. Keep it cyber and never in person.

Last edited by NCN; 11-12-2015 at 11:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting